The End Of The Minimum Wage Approaches

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
Though not in the way the Democrats would like. AI may well send all those illegals back to their home countries.

But critics claim tools like Carpenter's assistant will ultimately harm more workers than it helps. Erikka Knuti -- communications director for the United Food and Commercial Workers Union -- said too many businesses treat customer service as a line item cost instead of an investment. In addition to eliminating jobs, she said, removing people from transactions degrades the product businesses are selling.

"Retailers and businesses underestimate the importance of the customer service interaction -- that point when a customer hands over their money and they get a warm smile in return that tells them they're valued," she said.

Asked what message an artificially intelligent voice assistant sends to customers, Knuti said it's clear:

"These companies are saying, 'We don't care about you and we don't care if you're getting better service,'" she said. "They'll say it's more efficient, but I don't know any situation where somebody said, 'I'm really glad that there wasn't somebody there at customer service or checkout when I needed help."

Too funny. At a fast food joint? All I want is my food, fast.

At this fast food drive through, the person taking your order might not be a person at all

Though not in the way the Democrats would like. AI may well send all those illegals back to their home countries.

But critics claim tools like Carpenter's assistant will ultimately harm more workers than it helps. Erikka Knuti -- communications director for the United Food and Commercial Workers Union -- said too many businesses treat customer service as a line item cost instead of an investment. In addition to eliminating jobs, she said, removing people from transactions degrades the product businesses are selling.

"Retailers and businesses underestimate the importance of the customer service interaction -- that point when a customer hands over their money and they get a warm smile in return that tells them they're valued," she said.

Asked what message an artificially intelligent voice assistant sends to customers, Knuti said it's clear:

"These companies are saying, 'We don't care about you and we don't care if you're getting better service,'" she said. "They'll say it's more efficient, but I don't know any situation where somebody said, 'I'm really glad that there wasn't somebody there at customer service or checkout when I needed help."

At this fast food drive through, the person taking your order might not be a person at all
I don't mind the automated machines. A place with somewhat HAPPY and intelligent 18 year old women taking orders will have an advantage over the machines. Places with stoned illerates won't.

On a tangent, since illegals are who you can make work for less.....those who support illegal immigration are against minimun wages. Thise trying to stop illegal immigration are enforcing minimun wages.

/----/ I was in a major department store looking for an item in a locked showcase. There was no one behind the counter to help me. I waited for 15 minutes, gave up and went to a small jewelry store nearby and made my purchase of $900.

/----/ I was in a major department store looking for an item in a locked showcase. There was no one behind the counter to help me. I waited for 15 minutes, gave up and went to a small jewelry store nearby and made my purchase of $900.

Speaking of your post, I wonder if the internet will kill all the big box stores and the small mom and pop stores/ specialty stores make a come back?

Speaking of your post, I wonder if the internet will kill all the big box stores and the small mom and pop stores/ specialty stores make a come back?

/---/ I was in legal publishing for 18 years and sold law books to attorneys. Hard work but very lucrative. Then the publishers stopped printing books and went to the internet - turning the publications into a commodity. Instead of lawyers asking what info we published all they cared about was the monthly subscription cost. They fired the sales force and hired low pay telemarketers. Nothing good or bad lasts forever.

Just a related thought.

I'm visiting SW Florida and I've been very impressed with the people who work at the Publix food markets. Being new to the stores I've had to ask several people where different things were located in the store. These were not customer-service people but just people stocking shelves. Never any hesitation at all. they told me what I wanted to know and asked if they could help in any other way. With a smile on their faces.

Obviously, this is the culture of that large food chain. (It happened in a couple different stores).

Just a related thought.

I'm visiting SW Florida and I've been very impressed with the people who work at the Publix food markets. Being new to the stores I've had to ask several people where different things were located in the store. These were not customer-service people but just people stocking shelves. Never any hesitation at all. they told me what I wanted to know and asked if they could help in any other way. With a smile on their faces.

Obviously, this is the culture of that large food chain. (It happened in a couple different stores).
/——/ The Deep South is a different mindset. I grew up in the south and clerks are expected to be polite and helpful. It’s the way we were brought up.

That would be great.

Specialty stores of lore have been diverging from specialties for decades. It used to be that Walmart and Target sold clothes and small appliances. Now they sell groceries etc. Walgreens sold drugs and medical items. Now they also sell food and clothes and skimp on supplements.

Stores seem to want to be everything to everybody and have very small selections of each. I like to buy locally, but am finding I have to go to Amazon more and more often.

This is the future of retail and why some jobs will disappear. I'm not griping. I'm just sighing at the inevitable.

Specialty stores of lore have been diverging from specialties for decades. It used to be that Walmart and Target sold clothes and small appliances. Now they sell groceries etc. Walgreens sold drugs and medical items. Now they also sell food and clothes and skimp on supplements.

Stores seem to want to be everything to everybody and have very small selections of each. I like to buy locally, but am finding I have to go to Amazon more and more often.

This is the future of retail and why some jobs will disappear. I'm not griping. I'm just sighing at the inevitable.

thats what I am saying, maybe the circle will go around, girls always love to browse /shop......

Haha...pure zero-hedge fantasy...we're closer to $12/hr min wage than we are to no minimum wage...

Forum List

Back