The end of smoking?

Used to be non smokers were the outcasts

The end of smoking?

In the U.S., just 17.8 percent of the population smokes — a record low, and down from a peak of more than 50 percent in the 1950s. Punishing taxes, indoor-smoking bans, and gruesome ad campaigns have compelled smokers to quit at such a rate that Citigroup analysts predict their numbers could drop to nearly zero by 2050. This decline is largely the result of a remarkable change in public perception of smoking, which the tobacco industry had successfully portrayed as cool and rebellious — a mark of sophistication and maturity. Now smokers are largely pariahs, and smoking is widely seen as a dangerous, dirty, and disgusting habit. Fifty years ago, "everyone around me smoked," says photo developer Barry Blackwell, 60. "Everyone." Now, looking down on smokers is "one of the few socially acceptable prejudices left."

Lie and you can convince people of just about anything. Much of the lower smoking rates are due to control of depictions of smoking. If everyone hwo smoked, still could on tv, it'd be a very different reality. But if you forbid it, and put out the impression the stars of the "Twilight" movies say both smoke, politicians don't (the orange skinned Republican isn'r orange because of tanning so much as the 5 packs a day he smokes,) and you paint the picture no one you wanna imitate smokes when in fact everyone pretty much still does. You just don't see it any more.

The percentage of smokers has dropped from 50% down to 19%

Not only that, but those who smoke, smoke fewer packs

True, but it's due to a false narrative. If everyone who smokes, could, the numbers would be very different. The public impression is no one does, so fewer not in the public eye take it up. Most who start smoking start because of people they know do. I started because both my parents did and a girlfriend got me into it with her.

As an aside, would agree second hand smoke is a major contributor to starting smoking since you're getting some nicotine exposure which eventually results in needing more from a more direct source as with actually smoking. Good reason then for limiting where people can smoke and pressuring parents not to in the home with children. Don't expect the latter to ever happen, but it's sound in theory.

I see fewer parents smoking in the same room as their children

I drive by many homes and see the smoking adult huddled outside grabbing a smoke

(the orange skinned Republican isn'r orange because of tanning so much as the 5 packs a day he smokes,)

Really. Never heard that.
It's ironic because I always admired John Boehner's rich baritone voice. It's a gift. That he would jeapordize it with a tobacco habit is tragic.

Nat King Cole, whose voice is legendary, apparently believed his rich vocal chords were a product of smoking, so he kept it up. It killed him in his 40s. Such was the bizarre mentality of Not That Long Ago.

I've got a friend named Ellen McIlwaine who's a fantastic singer, probably a 5-octave range and powerful. Yet when I first met her (in the '70s) she was a smoker. She's since given it up and thankfully is still with us. But it's an interesting psychology that they don't get they have these voices in spite of, not because of, their smoking. If anything smoking gives you a voice more like Tom Waits.

check out that note she hits at 1:40. I mean...
thud.gif

Thank God for smoking bans. Why should I have to breath in cigarette smoke if I'm a non-smoker? I will say this though, I live very close to a high school and I see a lot of kids smoking, so I'm not sure if cigarette smokers are dying off.

Many of them are smoking those E-cigs. They are cheaper. For the kids, it's not a replacement for cigarettes, because most of these kids have never smoked a real cigarette. They are starting off with the E-cigs from the beginning.

Thank God for smoking bans. Why should I have to breath in cigarette smoke if I'm a non-smoker? I will say this though, I live very close to a high school and I see a lot of kids smoking, so I'm not sure if cigarette smokers are dying off.

Many of them are smoking those E-cigs. They are cheaper. For the kids, it's not a replacement for cigarettes, because most of these kids have never smoked a real cigarette. They are starting off with the E-cigs from the beginning.

That's not good either, because those E-cigarettes can be a gateway to smoking cigarettes.

(the orange skinned Republican isn'r orange because of tanning so much as the 5 packs a day he smokes,)

It's ironic because I always admired John Boehner's rich baritone voice. It's a gift. That he would jeapordize it with a tobacco habit is tragic.

Nat King Cole, whose voice is legendary, apparently believed his rich vocal chords were a product of smoking, so he kept it up. It killed him in his 40s. Such was the bizarre mentality of Not That Long Ago.

I've got a friend named Ellen McIlwaine who's a fantastic singer, probably a 5-octave range and powerful. Yet when I first met her (in the '70s) she was a smoker. She's since given it up and thankfully is still with us. But it's an interesting psychology that they don't get they have these voices in spite of, not because of, their smoking. If anything smoking gives you a voice more like Tom Waits.

thud.gif

I do karaoke with a friend - she runs the show - and she's an amazing singer. I'd kill to be able to sing like her. She always tells me she covets MY voice, because I'm a soprano and her years of smoking have made it impossible for her to approach hitting the notes I can hit. It's very sad.

One of the (many) reasons I never took up smoking is because I didn't want to lose that clear soprano.

That's not good either, because those E-cigarettes can be a gateway to smoking cigarettes.

Not really. I have an e-cig, and if anything, the flavor of the e-cig makes the smell and regular tobacco smoke even more disgusting and intolerable. There's literally no reason to ever switch from e-cigs to tobacco if you've never been a tobacco smoker to begin with.

thud.gif

I do karaoke with a friend - she runs the show - and she's an amazing singer. I'd kill to be able to sing like her. She always tells me she covets MY voice, because I'm a soprano and her years of smoking have made it impossible for her to approach hitting the notes I can hit. It's very sad.

One of the (many) reasons I never took up smoking is because I didn't want to lose that clear soprano.

I have aged with many people who have been smokers. Seems to have added ten years to their actual age. 40 looks like 50. 50 looks like 60....

Beyond the raspy voice there is leathery skin, yellow teeth, advanced wrinkles

I see so many young women smoking today. I don't think they would do it if they knew what it does to their looks

thud.gif

I have aged with many people who have been smokers. Seems to have added ten years to their actual age. 40 looks like 50. 50 looks like 60....

I see so many young women smoking today. I don't think they would do it if they knew what it does to their looks

"Remember Chris, if she smokes she pokes." - Lois Griffin, "Family Guy"

2839356365_nkraviz_xlarge.jpeg

43637PCN_Alba13-624x936.jpg

Jessica Alba, superbabe.

which-celebrities-are-secretly-smokers-2120525423-may-13-2013-1-600x500.jpg

Katy Perry

kate-moss.jpg

Kate Moss

You were saying about what it does to your looks? :)

thud.gif

Jessica Alba, superbabe.

Katy Perry

kate-moss.jpg

Kate Moss

That's completely inane. It doesn't take place in five minutes. Check those women in ten years if they continue. They'll look like twenty went by.

thud.gif

2839356365_nkraviz_xlarge.jpeg

Jessica Alba, superbabe.

Katy Perry

kate-moss.jpg

Kate Moss

I know...smoking looks so cool....so sexy
When you are in your twenties

Check out those babes when they hit 40 or 50 and look 60

mpjngpc7pdx43psov9oy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back