The END of Arlen Spector

Hey, I'm glad to hear you think that everyone is going to come flocking back to the GOP.

Self delusion is a weapon one uses against one self.

The country has moved away from the retoric of the last thirty years, but go ahead and cling to it like a security blanket and see where it gets you.

Hey, I'm glad to hear you think that everyone is going to come flocking back to the GOP.

The country has moved away from the retoric of the last thirty years, but go ahead and cling to it like a security blanket and see where it gets you.

Incorrect. It moved away from the rhetoric of the last 8 years - in part.

I suggest you go back and review much of Obama's own rhetoric.

He was far more a version of Reagan-lite than FDR-heavy...

Oh really.

Name the positions that Obama has taken that are the same or closely mimic Reagan's ploicies.

All the Repub vitriol since President Obama was inagurated just shows they have nothing to offer.

At some point when their party keeps shrinking they will have to come to terms with the fact that Reaganism/Bushism has failed, miserably!

Until then we can enjoy watching them self-destruct.

Oh really.

Name the positions that Obama has taken that are the same or closely mimic Reagan's ploicies.

You truly don't know?

Just for starters - Earmarks.

You heard it here first. This will be the last year we have this man as a US Senator. He is as liberal as republicans get. There is little chance he will be able to upset conservative challenger Pat Toomey in the primary. Last election the two went up against each other and Spector slipped by. So why is Toomey going to prevail this time around? Simple. First of all he squeaked by with a 51-49 margin. That was with the support of fellow Republican senator Rick Santorum. As oppose to Toomey, Santorum was more a favorite with his party because of his conservative values. However, when Spector refused to return the favor when Santorum ran his ill-fated bid against present senator Bobby Casey, Santorum will be nowhere to be seen in this race. Next, Spector had the support of President George Bush. Throughout the primary, Spector was shown time and time again with the soon to be re-elected president in 2004. Although, one can make the argument that the former president wasn't popular among the entire nation at the time, but he was so among members of his own party. Furthermore, I believe that Toomey will become much more negative than he was in his initial bid. Last time around, Spector ran one negative advertisement about Toomey after the other. This time around, Toomey will show his fellow Pennsylvanians how far to the left this guy is. Now, you remove the Bush and Santorum factors to go along with more of Toomey's experience and he will certainly pull ahead. This will be the final term in Spector's long senate career as he will not make it past the primary. However, if he somehow does prevail then I believe he will have no difficulty defeating whomever the Democrats head up against him-as he did back in '04.

Arlen Spector is one of the few sane Republicans left.

How weird that one of the good, sane, hard working, moderate republicans is considered something else because he can think on his own. I realize that is typical of 'republican conservative fascist' thinking but still weird. I have always voted for Specter and will continue to do so, good man, rare these days.

Want to bet? But go ahead, put the Republican Party in the same category as the Whigs.
having the 3 of you say that shows how totally fucking clueless you guys are
i'd rather run someone with core principles that meet up with what i believe and lose, than have someone supposedly on "my" side only to have them stab me in the back at least 50% of the time

All the Repub vitriol since President Obama was inagurated just shows they have nothing to offer.

At some point when their party keeps shrinking they will have to come to terms with the fact that Reaganism/Bushism has failed, miserably!

you think it has been bad for Obama?
go back 8 years and look how Bush was treated on inauguration day
Obama has already had it easier

Senator Specter has served both his state and his nation honorably and well for many years. He is a man of honor and integrity who does not deserve the trash talk being posted by the republican posers on the board.

He recently recovered from a bout with cancer. I hope he retires and lives a long and healthy life away from the idiocy that his party has fallen into.

When Bush had been in office this long, we had heard him talk enough to realize that he was a clueless incompetant fool. It only took people like you eight years and a resounding drubbing at the polls to realize that.

Yes.

It's sad to see. The further the GOP moves away from the center, the more difficult it will be to win back power.

Exactly right. But so long as the republicans want to be the party of "no" and play with "tea parties" and wedge issues instead of fixing what they broke, the repubs will be more and more marginalized.

Pity, too... as I've said before, I've always felt they should go back to being the smart guys in the room.

Republicans need to purify their core by fire. I frankly don't understand Dems who like Spector and all the other RINO Republicans and then turn around and say things like, "When you guys were in charge, you ran up the deficit, there was no control." Who the F do you think was doing all the spending? It was non-fiscal conservative a-holes like Spector.

Republicans, if they truly wish to stand for something again, must get back to a time when the core of their party stood for principled defense of American traditions and traditional values. Firmly rooted in the foundational documents of this country and informed the great traditions that have formed around those principles.

Further, those principles must be a razor against which past, present and future actions by government are measured. When actions are found wanting, they should be cut out. After developing this core philosophical approach, expansion and inclusion can come. But, people should be on notice of what they are joining before they join.

By the way, I'm under no illusion that the core would be a massive number of people who think like that. There aren't enough people informed enough to think like that, but the leaders must. Once they can articulate those values, there will be a swell of support for those leaders. The Republicans are early on in their process and it's a crap shoot if they will ever get there.

As for being the party of "NO," hey, it worked for the Dems. They never had a plan for anything when they were out of power. Just hate, vitriol and lies. So that must be what works.

:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

When Bush had been in office this long, we had heard him talk enough to realize that he was a clueless incompetant fool. It only took people like you eight years and a resounding drubbing at the polls to realize that.
Yet you elected Bush III to office anyway.

you gotta be kidding
you are a fucking moron if you think i ever "liked" Bush
he was better than the alternative was my only reason for voting for him in the general election and i DIDNT vote for him in ANY primary

Mr. Toomey, a former congressman and a fiscal conservative who recently served as president of the Club for Growth, an anti-tax group based in Washington, said in a phone interview Wednesday that he began considering his challenge in the April 2010 primary after the stimulus vote.

Mr. Toomey said he believes the country is shifting to the left under Mr. Obama's leadership and the Republican Party needs reliable votes to stop what he described as a movement towards a "European welfare state model." He added: "We need to have a minimum of 40 Republicans who are willing to vote no and try to stop this freight train, and Arlen Specter has demonstrated that he's more than happy to go along with it."

While Mr. Toomey is a competitive candidate in a Republican primary, his prospects in a general election are considered more difficult than those of Mr. Specter, who remains popular among Democrats and independents even as he sparks the ire of his party's conservative wing.

Christopher Nicholas, Mr. Specter's campaign manager, said Mr. Toomey "would certainly lose" a general election and push Democrats closer to a 60-seat supermajority in the Senate that would allow Democrats to circumvent Republican filibusters that can stall legislation.

Mr. Toomey is a conservative candidate in a state that Pennsylvanians elected Mr. Obama by ten percentage points last November, and in 2006 rejected conservative Republican Sen. Rick Santorum in 2006 by 18 percentage points. ...

Pennsylvania has voted increasingly Democratic in recent elections. Mr. Obama won the state by ten percentage points last November, and in 2006, voters there rejected conservative Republican Sen. Rick Santorum by 18 percentage points.

But the state's Republican Party has shifted to the right after 239,000 Republicans and independents switched parties last year to vote in the Democratic presidential primary, leaving a more conservative voter pool in the GOP. Since Pennsylvania has closed primaries and only registered party members can cast ballots, Mr. Toomey has a numerical advantage there.

Conservative Toomey Mounts Bid for Specter's Senate Seat - WSJ.com

If the GOP wants to become a rump party that are unable to elect 40 members to the Senate and thus allow the Democrats to run roughshod over them, nominating an unelectable Pat Toomey and defeating an electable Arlen Specter is a fabulous way to do it.

having the 3 of you say that shows how totally fucking clueless you guys are
i'd rather run someone with core principles that meet up with what i believe and lose, than have someone supposedly on "my" side only to have them stab me in the back at least 50% of the time

Colorful language is meaningless, what are the core values you allude to? Please be clear.

Hey--to those posters that dislike Spector.

Do you dislike Snowe and Collins as well?
i do
and i wont be voting for them again
and yes, i know, that might mean a dem wins

So--the Republicans have retreated into the Deep South!!!

You know, that is not a good place to start a revolution from. That was tried before, and failed miserably!!

Hey--to those posters that dislike Spector.

Do you dislike Snowe and Collins as well?
i do
and i wont be voting for them again
and yes, i know, that might mean a dem wins

So--the Republicans have retreated into the Deep South!!!

You know, that is not a good place to start a revolution from. That was tried before, and failed miserably!!
i'm still hoping to get someone like Margaret Chase Smith back

Forum List

Back