The electoral college is broken

Why do we still go by the electoral vote? Some people say it's because if it's not broke, don't fix it. Well I'm telling you that it is broken.

Al Gore lost because he didn't get the electoral vote. If we went by the popular vote, he would've won and our country would be in a much better shape.

Thanks to George Bush, we're in a bad recession and in a war as well. We'd be in neither if we didn't have the electoral college.

Barack Obama is now the only hope we have of getting us out of this mess that Bush has gotten us into. That's why I voted for Obama. The electoral college should be dismantled.

That is crazy. Why make elections easier to steal. Your name Hitler?

You have to believe that each citizen should not have an equal say, otherwise the electoral college is anti-democratic. Just because you live in a large population center you should have less say in who runs the country...

Bingo. Each citizen does have an equal say. They get to speak when they vote in the two houses of congress.

When it comes to the president, only the electors matter. It is a states issue, write your governor.

Not only is the EC anti-democratic, I am too :eusa_whistle:

The very small states like Wyoming have to have a minimum of three. The EC is equal to the number of its Senators and Representatives in the United States Congress. Population doesn't figure into it until the minimum threshold is breached.

Yes, exactly.

Hence the votes of those smaller states end up having more impact than the votes in a place like California.

Why does thais matter?

Because in aggregate of all small states, their impact on the election is much greater than the population should have, that's why.

The electoral college is truly an anti-democratic device.

Yes, exactly.

Hence the votes of those smaller states end up having more impact than the votes in a place like California.

Why does thais matter?

Because in aggregate of all small states, their impact on the election is much greater than the population should have, that's why.

The electoral college is truly an anti-democratic device.

Agreed on all counts. But, the reality is that you only reach the "aggregate of all small states" about as often as I win the lottery. Thus the big states still have a larger actual, as in measurable, impact.

It ain't democratic. We are not a democracy. They don't work for us. "They" of course are the 545.

Reality sometimes sux, but it is better than some proposals I have read.

Forum List

Back