The Election will Be a Red Day

With people not being fooled by the faux unemployment numbers and the so called good economy, the independents are looking for change. Since it's a midterm election the liberals stay home. This will lead to a red victory.

House: The Republicans will build on their lead.
Senate: There are 45 safe seats for both parties and 10 toss ups. I think the GOP has a total sweep winning: AK, AR, CO, GA, IA, KY, KS, LA, NC and NH
RealClearPolitics - 2014 Election Maps - Battle for the Senate

Governors: In reality these are more important position than the senate or house reps. The GOP has 22 safe seats and the Dems 17, with 11 toss ups. The Dems win 3 (CO, CT and MA) and the GOP wins 8 (AK, FL, GA, IL, KS, ME, MI and WI) for 30 GOP seats!
RealClearPolitics - 2014 Election Maps - 2014 Governor Races

I didn't have time to comment on this yet, but I was right on. Only senate miscalculation was NH and my only governor miss was MA. Man I never thought liberal MA would swing like that!

Not unusual at all, 3 of the last 4 governors in Massachusetts were republicans. Also the state is changing as more newcomers move in.

The blue-red color divide in Massachusetts - CommonWealth Magazine

The current governor of MA was the first Democrat elected governor in 20 years. Republicans have done historically well in that department.

The current governor of MA was the first Democrat elected governor in 20 years. Republicans have done historically well in that department.
True. Massachusetts is a socially liberal but more fiscally conservative state. The democrats there are blue dog types (think Southie) not uber progressives. Plus there are huge swaths of farms in the middle of the state which are very conservative as well as the Cape. Massachusetts actually fits in more with northern New England than southern which it is usually grouped with.

True. Massachusetts is a socially liberal but more fiscally conservative state. The democrats there are blue dog types (think Southie) not uber progressives. Plus there are huge swaths of farms in the middle of the state which are very conservative as well as the Cape. Massachusetts actually fits in more with northern New England than southern which it is usually grouped with.

I don't agree with that at all. I was born and raised in Boston and there is nothing Blue Dog about the Massachusetts Democratic Party. They're about as far left as it gets.

This is way....way off. Western Mass is like southern Vermont and very very liberal (one of the most liberal parts of the state). The suburbs around Worcester have "some" Republican voters but it's not major. The Cape has small pockets of moderate/conservative voters but the populated areas are all very liberal (think Provincetown with the gays...). No part in the entire state is "very conservative" none at all

And Massachusetts is anything but fiscally conservative...it's not called taxachusetts for nothing. They have a very large state system. It was the first state in the country to reform healthcare and has some of the best stats for poverty and well-being in the country. Massachusetts almost "is" southern New England.

The reason they vote in Republican governors is because governors are not as associated with the national party as Senators or Reps are. The governor can form independent policy views and the people can trust them to stick to them, unlike senators who mostly just get swept up into the national tide of the political party. In Mass a GOP governor is a popular choice to act as a power check against the overwhelming Democratic state legislature.

Forum List

Back