The Economist's poll of economists concering the candidates financial plans

Clay Buster

Never a dull moment
Sep 1, 2008
Mom said not to tell strangers.
Very interesting article. When you have a few seconds give it a read.

Of those who responded, the party affiliation was definitely skewed to the Democrats, but when you disqualify economists who stated a party affiliation, the independants heavily favored Obama's economic plan over McCain's.

Even among the Republican economists polled, they gave Obama's plan a better rating than McCain's. (46% to 23%)

Examining America's presidential candidates | Examining the candidates | The Economist

AS THE financial crisis pushes the economy back to the top of voters’ concerns, Barack Obama is starting to open up a clear lead over John McCain in the opinion polls. But among those who study economics for a living, Mr Obama’s lead is much more commanding. A survey of academic economists by The Economist finds the majority—at times by overwhelming margins—believe Mr Obama has the superior economic plan, a firmer grasp of economics and will appoint better economic advisers.

CUS955.gif

Just some food for thought.

Bump for the daysiders.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Considering the economy is the single biggest issue confronting voters, I thought this might be of interest.

Of course it has nothing to do with the ridiculous smear campaigns coming from both parties, and I understand that makes this thread a lot less sexy, but I feel it is extremely important.

So once again, thoughts?

Obama's three biggest priorities are getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare, and American energy independence.

All three of these issues would help the American economy.

Obama's three biggest priorities are getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare, and American energy independence.

All three of these issues would help the American economy.

Not shocking since McCain admitted he knows nothing about the economy

Very interesting article. When you have a few seconds give it a read.

Of those who responded, the party affiliation was definitely skewed to the Democrats, but when you disqualify economists who stated a party affiliation, the independants heavily favored Obama's economic plan over McCain's.

Even among the Republican economists polled, they gave Obama's plan a better rating than McCain's. (46% to 23%)

Examining America's presidential candidates | Examining the candidates | The Economist

CUS955.gif

Just some food for thought.

from your article

Our survey is not, by any means, a scientific poll of all economists. We e-mailed a questionnaire to 683 research associates, all we could track down, of the National Bureau of Economic Research, America’s premier association of applied academic economists, though the NBER itself played no role in the survey. A total of 142 responded, of whom 46% identified themselves as Democrats, 10% as Republicans and 44% as neither.

gee a poll of 46% democrats

I wonder what the results will be. Sorry but not a very convincing set of "data"

from your article

Our survey is not, by any means, a scientific poll of all economists. We e-mailed a questionnaire to 683 research associates, all we could track down, of the National Bureau of Economic Research, America’s premier association of applied academic economists, though the NBER itself played no role in the survey. A total of 142 responded, of whom 46% identified themselves as Democrats, 10% as Republicans and 44% as neither.

gee a poll of 46% democrats

I wonder what the results will be. Sorry but not a very convincing set of "data"

I made note of this point in my original post.

But does this paragraph worry you?

Eighty per cent of respondents and no fewer than 71% of those who do not cleave to either main party say Mr Obama has a better grasp of economics. Even among Republicans Mr Obama has the edge: 46% versus 23% say Mr Obama has the better grasp of the subject. “I take McCain’s word on this one,” comments James Harrigan at the University of Virginia, a reference to Mr McCain’s infamous confession that he does not know as much about economics as he should.

Go ahead and throw out all the Dem responses. Let's just concentrate on the Indies and the Repubs.

So now that we have eliminated all repsonses from the "liberal" economists, it still appears that economists from McCain's own party think Obama has a better plan.

Thoughts?

I made note of this point in my original post.

But does this paragraph worry you?

Go ahead and throw out all the Dem responses. Let's just concentrate on the Indies and the Repubs.

So now that we have eliminated all repsonses from the "liberal" economists, it still appears that economists from McCain's own party think Obama has a better plan.

Thoughts?

The question here is a better grasp than what? A second grade understanding of the markets?

Both candidates will continue the same old government meddling in the markets that brought us the bail out.

The question here is a better grasp than what? A second grade understanding of the markets?

Both candidates will continue the same old government meddling in the markets that brought us the bail out.

While I tend to agree with you in the sense that the office of president gives direction and actually does not dictate economic policy, the areas of grasp which are in question were stated as follows:

Where the candidates’ positions are more clearly articulated, Mr Obama scores better on nearly every issue: promoting fiscal discipline, energy policy, reducing the number of people without health insurance, controlling health-care costs, reforming financial regulation and boosting long-run economic growth. Twice as many economists think Mr McCain’s plan would be bad or very bad for long-run growth as Mr Obama’s. Given how much focus Mr McCain has put on his plan’s benefits for growth, this last is quite a repudiation.

As someone who doesn't affiliate with either party, my major voting issue right now is the economy.

With this disaster of an economy being handed to the next president, I'm not sure David Copperfield himself could pull off a magic trick to make it magically correct itself.

But it is painfully obvious to me that McCain does not have a solid plan to right our listing ship.

While I tend to agree with you in the sense that the office of president gives direction and actually does not dictate economic policy, the areas of grasp which are in question were stated as follows:

As someone who doesn't affiliate with either party, my major voting issue right now is the economy.

With this disaster of an economy being handed to the next president, I'm not sure David Copperfield himself could pull off a magic trick to make it magically correct itself.

But it is painfully obvious to me that McCain does not have a solid plan to right our listing ship.

then vote neither Repudlican nor Dimocrat

I didn't say one party caused it. There's a lot of blame to go around. But lets look to the future, as Gov. Palin suggested. I think Obama is more likely to fix oue economy, and most economist (of both parties & independents) agree.

I didn't say one party caused it. There's a lot of blame to go around. But lets look to the future, as Gov. Palin suggested. I think Obama is more likely to fix oue economy, and most economist (of both parties & independents) agree.

And you still willing to trust economists ????? :cuckoo:

then vote neither Repudlican nor Dimocrat

Trust me when I say I've vetted Libertarian Candidate Bob Barr's positions much better than McCain ever vetted Palin's.

Sadly, Bob has flip-flopped on so many issues that I don't think I can vote for him.

Chuck Baldwin from the Constitution Party does not jive with many of my beliefs, so he is out.

Then there is that nutjob Cynthia, which I won't be voting for either.

Nadar? Nope.

This year may be a write-in candidate for me.

At the moment however, if I were to vote for one of the major parties, I'm leaning more towards Obama because of his economic policy.

Forum List

Back