The economics of Universal Income

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
I heard on the radio today, that someone is running for congress on the issue of universal income. I'm sorry that I do not have the name. I do know he wanted to give every adult in Amreica 1000 dollars basic income. I've heard people bring this up a bunch lately, and it makes no sense to me. Wouldn't this mean that many people would just quit their jobs and raise unemployment? It also seems pretty clear that something like this couldn't be paid for. Inflation would also go crazy. Impossible spending, raised unemployment, and inflation for a country that is fast becoming Super Greece. Is there any way this makes sense economically? Is it even possible? I'm not going to laugh it off because I see big trouble coming. I had someone tell me his daughter couldn't find a job, and she was a pharmacist. They are being replaced right and left by robots. Businesses know that after an expensive 7 yr program, that these kids are desperate for work and are low balling them into 50 or 60k salaries. People are rightly concerned about robotic factories and the new kiosks in fast food places, but it is truly horrifying when you think about self driving vehicles replacing truckers. How many truckers do you think there are? That's a lot of people, and once they're replaced, they won't even be able to work at McDonald's. To me, universal income seems silly, but I really am interested in hearing the argument for it. Something inovative has to happen, because the storm is already here and it is going to get worse at an incredible rate.

Something inovative has to happen, because the storm is already here and it is going to get worse at an incredible rate.

Communism is for us not a state of affairs which is to be established, an ideal to which reality [will] have to adjust itself. We call communism the real movement which abolishes the present state of things. The conditions of this movement result from the premises now in existence.

Karl Marx

Yet handing over trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money to the wealthy is cheered by cons.

Welfare for the wealthy is the wet dream every time Republicans gain power.

$1000 a month? Everybody, kids too? And would we get rid of all our entitlement programs? SS? Medicare/Medicaid? Food stamps, UE, everything? Free education too? There's a lot of places where $1000/month doesn't pay the bills, what then? If anybody wants to expound on the idea in a positive way, maybe they could also provide information about who gets it and who doesn't and how to pay for it.

I heard on the radio today, that someone is running for congress on the issue of universal income. I'm sorry that I do not have the name. I do know he wanted to give every adult in Amreica 1000 dollars basic income. I've heard people bring this up a bunch lately, and it makes no sense to me. Wouldn't this mean that many people would just quit their jobs and raise unemployment? It also seems pretty clear that something like this couldn't be paid for. Inflation would also go crazy. Impossible spending, raised unemployment, and inflation for a country that is fast becoming Super Greece. Is there any way this makes sense economically? Is it even possible? I'm not going to laugh it off because I see big trouble coming. I had someone tell me his daughter couldn't find a job, and she was a pharmacist. They are being replaced right and left by robots. Businesses know that after an expensive 7 yr program, that these kids are desperate for work and are low balling them into 50 or 60k salaries. People are rightly concerned about robotic factories and the new kiosks in fast food places, but it is truly horrifying when you think about self driving vehicles replacing truckers. How many truckers do you think there are? That's a lot of people, and once they're replaced, they won't even be able to work at McDonald's. To me, universal income seems silly, but I really am interested in hearing the argument for it. Something inovative has to happen, because the storm is already here and it is going to get worse at an incredible rate.

Most of these proposals remove all other social safety nets so there is no welfare or unemployment or food stamps and the like. That is how they are paid for.

Not saying it is a good idea, just offering information

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

$1000 a month? Everybody, kids too? And would we get rid of all our entitlement programs? SS? Medicare/Medicaid? Food stamps, UE, everything? Free education too? There's a lot of places where $1000/month doesn't pay the bills, what then? If anybody wants to expound on the idea in a positive way, maybe they could also provide information about who gets it and who doesn't and how to pay for it.
It's a bad idea. I can't imagine who would support it.

They said just adults on the radio. Even if you get rid of all current social programs, it wouldn't come close to every adult 1 grand a month. Plus, would that mean the poor would no longer get Medicare or Medicaid? Does this stuff make sense to anyone? I'm sorry I don't have specifics, I'd be open to any kind of implementation that is even possible.

All those that are too fricken lazy to get a job and feel life is unfair.

All those that are too fricken lazy to get a job and feel life is unfair.
It is not being discussed because people are lazy, it's being discussed because technology and free market ideology are creating a contradiction in our system of production.

I'm not going to pretend to understand how this would work dusty so obviously I will not be able to explain it properly, but I will share what little I can:
You have to imagine a world where there is no work for humans but production nevers stops and may in fact increase,
it is all due to AI [artificial intelligence] robots capable of learning and non-stop work and all without pay, if that were the case then the money business saves on salary, buildings, health insurance etc. etc. would be able to fund this type of pay, and this is not something Americans are promoting, nordic countries are thinking 18,000 a year and europe has even drafted some kind of rights for robots with a small hint of human traits in them...I wouldn't condemn this completely without first havig the full scope of it explained to me.

I'm not going to pretend to understand how this would work dusty so obviously I will not be able to explain it properly, but I will share what little I can:
You have to imagine a world where there is no work for humans but production nevers stops and may in fact increase,
it is all due to AI [artificial intelligence] robots capable of learning and non-stop work and all without pay, if that were the case then the money business saves on salary, buildings, health insurance etc. etc. would be able to fund this type of pay, and this is not something Americans are promoting, nordic countries are thinking 18,000 a year and europe has even drafted some kind of rights for robots with a small hint of human traits in them...I wouldn't condemn this completely without first havig the full scope of it explained to me.

The day when there is no work for humans is a long ways off. I have not seen anything about nordic countries thinking of paying $18,000/yr for UBI but I do believe that Switzerland turned down the idea in one of their referendums. It might make sense at some point in the future but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

The day when there is no work for humans is a long ways off. I have not seen anything about nordic countries thinking of paying $18,000/yr for UBI but I do believe that Switzerland turned down the idea in one of their referendums. It might make sense at some point in the future but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.
I thought it was a norway, but you might be right, anyway it is not very far off at all, the technology is already in place to start right now they are just working out all the bugs

I've got to admit, I've never taken automation to the point of no human production. I always thought of universal income as some kind of bandaid for a struggling work force. I never thought there wouldn't be a workforce. In a strange way it makes a kind of sense if people no longer have any production. I'm trying to think of a job that can't be replaced by a robot, and there can't be that many. I'm not sure it's as far off as we'd think. Self driving vehicles would be a huge next step of eliminating a human work force. I have a hard time seeing how the transition would work from proud self employed people to what exactly? I have a feeling quite a few eggs will be broken before humans workers are eliminated. The dems will get their dream of a completely government run society. They will completely control every aspect of a person's life as well as the future direction of society. The individual would be even more powerless than they are now.

I've got to admit, I've never taken automation to the point of no human production. I always thought of universal income as some kind of bandaid for a struggling work force. I never thought there wouldn't be a workforce. In a strange way it makes a kind of sense if people no longer have any production. I'm trying to think of a job that can't be replaced by a robot, and there can't be that many. I'm not sure it's as far off as we'd think. Self driving vehicles would be a huge next step of eliminating a human work force. I have a hard time seeing how the transition would work from proud self employed people to what exactly? I have a feeling quite a few eggs will be broken before humans workers are eliminated. The dems will get their dream of a completely government run society. They will completely control every aspect of a person's life as well as the future direction of society. The individual would be even more powerless than they are now.
Some people are already there. Many more will join them. He who owns the means of production owns everything. Lol. The rubes think it's freedom. Boy will they be surprised.

Might as well give every baby a lobotomy, who would need a brain?

Good topic.

Switzerland toyed with UI. It was voted down, but they did the calculations.

By eliminating all social programs, it would have saved the country money. In US dollars, it would be (if I remember correctly) $1,600 a month for every adult, and it could solve a lot of problems we have today.

Most would not be able to live on $1,600 a month, but some could. It would create a demand for workers because of people leaving the work force. Supply and demand dictates the less supply, the higher the price, so pay increases would certainly be on the way.

For those that want to continue to work, that $1,600 could go towards purchasing a health care plan. Another problem is college expenses. If the parents used their $1,600 for their children's college, that's a problem solved as well, because between the parents and the adult student, there is more than enough money to cover all college expenses. But even if a loan were needed, the adult student getting his or her $1,600 a month could cover dorm costs.

Welfare is a huge problem in our country. For instance I get so pissed off because I live in the suburbs, and I have HUD people living right next door. There is no equity when I have to go to work everyday to live here, and they just move in living on my tax dollars. UI would eliminate that because there would be no HUD. They would have to move somewhere else, and I could finally get some sleep at night.

Our social programs reward people for having kids they can't afford. That wouldn't happen with UI. If you can feed your family on that, fine. But raising kids is expensive, and more poor people would practice birth control. Less poor people is always a good thing because the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree.

So often you read or hear of people complaining of food stamps. What we see these lowlifes buy in the store sickens us. UI would eliminate that because there would no longer be food stamps. Buy whatever you like in the store, because it's coming out of your $1,600 a month.

Housing, housing prices, rents are all increasing faster than income. If you continue to work, you could use your stipend to pay off your mortgage much faster. That's a hell of a lot of money you could save in interest rates.

So UI is a great idea. I would love to see it. While there are some disadvantages, there are ten times more advantages. It would eliminate the jealousy of people on social programs, it would reduce poverty, it would teach responsibility, and it would solve many financial problems most Americans currently deal with. The best part? It would be cheaper in the long run for our government.

Good topic.

By eliminating all social programs, it would have saved the country money. In US dollars, it would be (if I remember correctly) $1,600 a month for every adult, and it could solve a lot of problems we have today.

Most would not be able to live on $1,600 a month, but some could. It would create a demand for workers because of people leaving the work force. Supply and demand dictates the less supply, the higher the price, so pay increases would certainly be on the way.

For those that want to continue to work, that $1,600 could go towards purchasing a health care plan. Another problem is college expenses. If the parents used their $1,600 for their children's college, that's a problem solved as well, because between the parents and the adult student, there is more than enough money to cover all college expenses. But even if a loan were needed, the adult student getting his or her $1,600 a month could cover dorm costs.

Welfare is a huge problem in our country. For instance I get so pissed off because I live in the suburbs, and I have HUD people living right next door. There is no equity when I have to go to work everyday to live here, and they just move in living on my tax dollars. UI would eliminate that because there would be no HUD. They would have to move somewhere else, and I could finally get some sleep at night.

Our social programs reward people for having kids they can't afford. That wouldn't happen with UI. If you can feed your family on that, fine. But raising kids is expensive, and more poor people would practice birth control. Less poor people is always a good thing because the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree.

So often you read or hear of people complaining of food stamps. What we see these lowlifes buy in the store sickens us. UI would eliminate that because there would no longer be food stamps. Buy whatever you like in the store, because it's coming out of your $1,600 a month.

Housing, housing prices, rents are all increasing faster than income. If you continue to work, you could use your stipend to pay off your mortgage much faster. That's a hell of a lot of money you could save in interest rates.

So UI is a great idea. I would love to see it. While there are some disadvantages, there are ten times more advantages. It would eliminate the jealousy of people on social programs, it would reduce poverty, it would teach responsibility, and it would solve many financial problems most Americans currently deal with. The best part? It would be cheaper in the long run for our government.
Oh my.

Good topic.

If you crunch the numbers in the US, i'm guessing it is nowhere close to being paid by the elimination of welfare programs. Especially when more people drop out of the work force. Where is the money going to come from? How does encouraging able bodied people not to work teach responsibility? If welfare is a bomb, then increasing the amount of people who don't work is an atom bomb. The problem would just grow exponentially. The only way I can see universal income working is towards the very end with the complete elimination of a workforce. Sadly, that is fast approaching. The whole thing seems perverse. It relies on production increasing without a workforce. That just doesn't sound right.

Good topic.

If you crunch the numbers in the US, i'm guessing it is nowhere close to being paid by the elimination of welfare programs. Especially when more people drop out of the work force. Where is the money going to come from? How does encouraging able bodied people not to work teach responsibility? If welfare is a bomb, then increasing the amount of people who don't work is an atom bomb. The problem would just grow exponentially. The only way I can see universal income working is towards the very end with the complete elimination of a workforce. Sadly, that is fast approaching. The whole thing seems perverse. It relies on production increasing without a workforce. That just doesn't sound right.

To be honest, I don't know if there is much we can do about that. I believe Americans had the same concerns about the horse breeders, the horse shoe people, the vets when we came out with cars. I'm sure the same concern took place when we replaced the ice man with the refrigerator. Or perhaps natural gas furnaces that replaced the coal men. Convenient stores that replaced the milk man, chips man, juice man. The backhoe that replaced ditch diggers.

What do we do to halt progress, and do we really want to halt it?

But as a professional driver for the last few decades, I can assure you that you won't be seeing manless semi's anytime in the near future. The only vehicles they have now cost nearly a million dollars, and you still need a licensed driver in case the unit stops. A computer cannot navigate main roads or side streets. It can't calculate turns or give emergency vehicles right of way. It can't listen to directions by a road crew worker in construction zones. A computer will never be able to back a trailer into a dock. It just isn't feasible.

It takes more than just driving to safely pilot a tractor-trailer. You need instinct and experience. For instance when I see an asshole on the highway weaving in and out of traffic, I have to back down if he gets near me because he's liable to cutoff my safety distance and hit the brakes. A computer could never calculate assholes. If I hear something fall over in the trailer, I have the ability to stop and see what happened and correct the problem. A manless truck would keep on going which would be dangerous because at times, we haul carts that are on wheels. A cart that broke free of load locks or straps could easily bust through the back doors of the trailer. And even if there was some miraculous way to address those concerns, there is an insurance issue to consider. Insurance premiums are huge for trucks unlike cars. Insurance would be unaffordable for a manless truck. But I digress:

We are not just talking about the elimination of welfare programs, but all social programs. That means no Social Security, no Medicare, No VA. Medicaid has many states in the red and costs keep rising. Even with our economy, we spend over 74 billion dollars a year on food stamps alone. Unemployment? Another program that would be eliminated.

I don't have the ability or time to run all the numbers, but I think there are too many benefits to UI to not consider it. Plus the best part is it would disable the Democrats talking points because we would create our own welfare programs based on our individual needs.

Forum List

Back