The east sea is the east sea, not the Sea of Japan.

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
The Japanese government is trying to change the term East Sea in to Sea of Japan. Starting from April, Japan started the campaign in 10 languages stating that the island of Dokdo is a Japanese territory. This is preposterous. How pathetic.

When the North Korea launched the missile few days ago, I was shocked to see that the CNN and other major broadcast channels were using the expression sea of Japan. Most of the historical documents use the term the east sea instead of the Sea of Japan. I can not understand why the Americans use the term Sea of Japan.

Then I saw the American text book on the world history that used the term east sea. This textbook is used in Orlando, Austin, New York and San Diego.
The children need to learn the true history. The Japanses are distorting the innocent minds of American children.

I hope I will see more signs of the east see in the textbook. The broadcast stations of the world should be ashamed of themselves using the term Sea of Japan.

The Japanese government is trying to change the term East Sea in to Sea of Japan. Starting from April, Japan started the campaign in 10 languages stating that the island of Dokdo is a Japanese territory. This is preposterous. How pathetic.

When the North Korea launched the missile few days ago, I was shocked to see that the CNN and other major broadcast channels were using the expression sea of Japan. Most of the historical documents use the term the east sea instead of the Sea of Japan. I can not understand why the Americans use the term Sea of Japan.

Then I saw the American text book on the world history that used the term east sea. This textbook is used in Orlando, Austin, New York and San Diego.
The children need to learn the true history. The Japanses are distorting the innocent minds of American children.

I hope I will see more signs of the east see in the textbook. The broadcast stations of the world should be ashamed of themselves using the term Sea of Japan.

Down here we call it Lake Texas.

Perspective.

I don't imagine that the Japanese will ever consider calling a sea directly to their west the East Sea.

The Koreans and the Chinese on the other hand have such historical animosity towards Japan that they will never willingly call it the Sea of Japan.

Someone call the pc police so that we can get this mess straightened out.

P.S. I grew up calling it the Sea of Japan and consider the term "East Sea" to be very nondescriptive to everyone except the Koreans and the Chinese.

Asian nations seem to be so imperialistic lately. The Chinese seem to be trying to think they can use their increased naval power to simply take over parts of the sea. At least the Japanese are less agressive, probably because the Japanese are on the winning side.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and China's Foreign Minister, Yang Jiechi, both agreed on Wednesday that China and the U.S. should work to ensure that incidents like Sunday's showdown in the South China Sea "do not happen again." The incident in question involved several Chinese naval vessels harassing a U.S. surveillance ship off the island of Hainan. But despite the soothing words of the two top diplomats, it's a safe bet that more such incidents can be expected in the future. The Pentagon was quick to note that the mariners aboard the U.S.N.S. Impeccable were civilians working for the Military Sealift Command, while the Chinese side stressed that the confrontation involved local fishing boats. The reality is that the incident occurred because both sides are preparing for war — "shaping the battlefield," in military jargon — for a conflict that both hope will never happen.

The U.S. wants to know how well it can track Chinese submarines moving in and out of their new and growing base off Hainan. And the Chinese want to prevent the U.S. from gathering such intelligence. Both sides claim legal cover for their actions, which suggests that similar showdowns will occur in the future. But such events, far from home and with few if any independent eyewitnesses, can quickly escalate into more serious confrontations — as in the case of the Gulf of Tonkin "attack" by North Vietnamese patrol boats against a pair of U.S. Navy destroyers that President Lyndon B. Johnson used as a pretext to win congressional support for his war in Vietnam. (See pictures of China's border war with Vietnam.)

The U.S.-China confrontation took place while the Impeccable was sailing 75 miles south of China's newest sub base, Yulin, at the southern tip of Hainan. The U.S. vessel carries sophisticated surveillance equipment that was in use — Chinese sailors used poles in an effort to snag the Impeccable's towed acoustic array sonars, which dangle beneath the vessel. The gear was most likely being used to try to detect the movements of Chinese subs in and out of Yulin, where Beijing's new Shang-class nuclear-powered attack subs have recently been spotted.

Any intelligence gathered would be useful in a future showdown. Because U.S. aircraft carriers would play a vital role in any clash with China over Taiwan, being able to bottle up Chinese subs at their base — and measuring the range from their base within which U.S. technology could be used to hunt them before they escape into the open sea, where they would be much more difficult to detect — are key U.S. intelligence goals. The data collected by vessels like the Impeccable, along with detailed maps of the ocean floor near the Chinese base that would guide U.S. sub hunters, are funneled into massive U.S. Navy databases that are invaluable in time of war. (The Impeccable joined three U.S. carriers in a 2007 war game in the western Pacific.)

China's sensitivity about Hainan and the surrounding area is well-known. It was in the same area, early in 2001, that a Chinese J-8 fighter plane collided with a U.S. Navy spy plane, killing the fighter pilot and damaging the Navy's EP-3 so severely that it and its 24-member crew were forced to land on the island, where they were held for 11 days in a tense diplomatic standoff. For both that run-in and this recent one, China said the U.S. was operating illegally inside its 200-mile "exclusive economic zone," based on the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea. China signed that treaty, but the U.S. did not.

Most legal experts say the U.S. was well within its rights to prowl where it was at the time it was approached by the Chinese armada on Sunday. "The U.S. was collecting undersea data that is related to war-fighting and is not banned by the treaty rules covering exploitation of resources in the economic zone," writes John McCreary, a military-intelligence veteran of more than three decades, on his NightWatch blog. "The Chinese are just angry that the U.S. Navy can watch them."

The Impeccable eventually sailed free of the Chinese fleet, which included, according to Pentagon officials, a Chinese navy intelligence-collection ship, a Bureau of Maritime Fisheries patrol vessel, a State Oceanographic Administration patrol vessel and two small Chinese-flagged trawlers. McCreary noted that the two fishing trawlers involved were about as "civilian" as the government-owned U.S. spy ship. (A Pentagon-produced story about the event said a "civilian crew mans the ship," a half-truth that was repeated around the world by other media outlets. In fact, about half its roughly 50-member crew is military.) "The Chinese, like the North Koreans, the Indians and the Soviets, maintain positive control of fishing fleets which come under military supervision in a crisis," McCreary said on NightWatch on Wednesday. "Fishing boats are built to military standards, usually have weapons mounts or fittings for depth charges and have military-approved communications." Thankfully, this time at least, the Impeccable slipped through the net.
War Games in the South China Sea: Behind the U.S.-China Spat - TIME

right now their seem to be a couple of asian conflicts:

Japan vs Korea
Japan vs China
VS vs China

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back