The Eagle has Landed

Where were you??

Cherry Point, North Carolina (was only about 9 months old). ;)

I've always loved the space program though. I can vividly remember Challenger, and my HS Physics teacher was one of the finalists but Christa McCauliffe was chosen.

Where were you??
marvinmoon_300-1.gif

NO CONSPIRACY WACKALOON ZONE!!!

apollo_11.gif

apollo-11_crew.jpg

On July 20, 1969, after a four day trip, the Apollo astronauts arrived at the Moon and the spacecraft was inserted into lunar orbit.

After a rest period, Armstrong and Aldrin entered the Lunar Module preparing for descent to the lunar surface. The two spacecraft were undocked at about 100 hours, when the Command and Service Modules separated from the Lunar Module. "You cats take it easy on the lunar surface", Michaels Collins said as he released the LM.

Collins did a visual inspection of the lunar module and said, "I think you've got a fine looking machine there, Eagle, despite the fact that you're upside-down."

"Somebody's upside-down", Neil Armstrong joked back.

Lunar Module Pilot, Buzz Aldrin carefully navigated his way to the Lunar surface. He had to fly longer than planned, in order to avoid a field of boulders, and touched down with less than 40 seconds of fuel remaining at 4:18 p.m. EDT on July 20.

Mission commander, Neil Armstrong spoke those famous words, "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." Charles Duke, the Capcom (capsule communicator) back in Houston, replied, "Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again."

It took 6 hours to prepare to exit the Lunar Module. At 10:56 p.m. EDT on July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the Moon, marking the occasion with these words, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." Unfortunately, a minor break in communications caused the entire world to hear and remember the statement as "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." The Apollo lunar surface camera, mounted on one of the LM legs, broadcast this event to the world.

Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface about nineteen minutes later, calling it "Magnificent desolation". As he left the LM, Aldrin said, "Now I want to back up and partially close the hatch - making sure not to lock it on my way out." "A particularly good thought." laughed Armstrong.

Trans-lunar injection 02:44:26 MET (Mission Elapsed Time)
Maximum distance from Earth 389,645km
Lunar orbit insertion, 75:50:00 MET
First lunar landing, 102:45:39 MET (20 July at 04:17 p.m. EDT).
First step on moon, 10:56:15 p.m. EDT
End of EVA, 111:39:13 MET (01:09 a.m. EDT)
First liftoff from moon, 124:22:00.8 MET (1:54 p.m. EDT)
LM-CSM docking, 128:03:00 MET
Trans-earth injection, 135:23:52.3 MET

000273ed-375.jpg

apollo_11_430_buzz_and_flag.jpg

Where were you??

I was 4, so probably playing outside somewhere with the neighborhood kids

I was almost done with my sand castle when this guy came hopping along and wrecked it!

Forum List

Back