The Duggar Family Welcomes 18th Child!!!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think I relived some of my labor pains when I heard this story.

It's a girl! Duggars welcome 18th child
Ever-growing Arkansas family adds a holiday bundle-of-joy to their brood
TODAY staff and wire
updated 7:38 p.m. ET, Thurs., Dec. 18, 2008
Michelle Duggar has given birth to her 18th child.

The Arkansas supermom delivered the baby girl by Caesarean section Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers. The baby, named Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar, weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and was 20 inches long.

"The ultimate Christmas gift from God," said Jim Bob Duggar, the father of the 18 children. "She's just absolutely beautiful, like her mom and her sisters."

The Duggars now have 10 sons and eight daughters.

Jim Bob Duggar said Michelle started having contractions Wednesday night. She needed the C-section, her third, because the baby was lying sideways. Jim Bob said both baby and mother were doing well Thursday night.

"We both would love to have more," he said.

The cable network TLC broadcasts a weekly show about the Duggars, called "Seventeen and Counting." Chris Finnegan of TLC — which handles public relations for the Duggar family — said the show's name would be updated to account for the latest addition to the family. He said TLC also will air a show Monday on the baby's delivery.

Jim Bob Duggar is 43, a year older than his wife. Their oldest child, Joshua, is 20.

"Our whole family is excited about Jordyn's addition to our family," Jim Bob Duggar said. "She's just perfect in every way."

Read more below if you can handle it. Actually, I always wanted a big family, but I dislike being pregnant.

It's a girl! Duggars welcome 18th child - Parenting & Family - MSNBC.com

My great-grandmother was 1 of 22... only 1 set of twins!!

Why didn't I hear it in the news? LOL! Has the family carried on this tradition and if so how many are in your family?

Were the kids educated in public schools? I don't remember if it was mentioned, but the Duggars homeschool their children.

They are an amazing family. They are one of the most loving and functional families I have ever seen. They are also very frugal and are financially secure (self-made).

Well I wonder if they are going to ask congress for a bail out?
The father says the family is debt free so that is unlikely. While it would be very difficult to meet the emotional and physical needs of 18 children, this family does seem to be doing it and doing it well. My hat is off to them.

(My maternal grandfather was one of 21 children my great-grandfather fathered with three wives - no, he wasn't a polygamist; the first two wives died)

They are an amazing family. They are one of the most loving and functional families I have ever seen. They are also very frugal and are financially secure (self-made).

I bet the money they get from their tv show helps too!

At least the older kids can help take care of the younger ones!

I'm the youngest of 6 and some people are amazed by that, that's just the first few years for the Duggars!

The father says the family is debt free so that is unlikely. While it would be very difficult to meet the emotional and physical needs of 18 children, this family does seem to be doing it and doing it well. My hat is off to them.

(My maternal grandfather was one of 21 children my great-grandfather fathered with three wives - no, he wasn't a polygamist; the first two wives died)

Obviously I was simply kidding. Relax!

I think large families are wonderful.

I have been married four times and divorced once. None of my wives have passed and I too am not a polygamist! ............. Life can be interesting!

For me........ Children are the greatest blessing we are given. The opportunity to be a parent is simply as good as life gets. Nothing tops it.

Why didn't I hear it in the news? LOL! Has the family carried on this tradition and if so how many are in your family?

Were the kids educated in public schools? I don't remember if it was mentioned, but the Duggars homeschool their children.

You gotta remember... this was in the late 1800's and early 1900's... LOL

some died in childhood

There was some schooling... but not for long.. I think the average was a 9th grade education... many worked the farm... some involved in WWI

As for me... 2 kids.. but I would have welcomed more... though glad, since I am divorced, that I did not have more kids dragged thru that... I would certainly welcome more if I were to be blessed with them....

I am one of 6... the oldest, best looking, and smartest ;)
lol.gif

Family reunions are abso-freaking-lutely huge though

some died in childhood

There was some schooling... but not for long.. I think the average was a 9th grade education... many worked the farm... some involved in WWI

As for me... 2 kids.. but I would have welcomed more... though glad, since I am divorced, that I did not have more kids dragged thru that... I would certainly welcome more if I were to be blessed with them....

lol.gif

I always heard the youngest of 6 were the smartest and cutest! ;)

We had another thread on a family nearly this large and several of our prominent Liberal friends INSISTED it was child abuse to have so many. That is was mental torture to have so many and that a family could not possibly be run with that many children. Some of them would be ignored or unloved.

Notice a trend? They want to control the names people can give their children and want to control how many children a family can have, resorting to claiming it is a crime to name a child what they do not like or to have more than some magic number they get to pick.

some died in childhood

lol.gif

You forget to add that you also have the best sense of humor. :lol:

I would have loved it if my mother had more. I'm one of two sisters -- oldest, best looking, and smartest. :)

I envy the huge families. I love my two kids, but I'm one of those people who need a lot of quiet solitude, so I don't think I would be happy if I had more.

We had another thread on a family nearly this large and several of our prominent Liberal friends INSISTED it was child abuse to have so many. That is was mental torture to have so many and that a family could not possibly be run with that many children. Some of them would be ignored or unloved.

Notice a trend? They want to control the names people can give their children and want to control how many children a family can have, resorting to claiming it is a crime to name a child what they do not like or to have more than some magic number they get to pick.

Our liberal friends have got it all wrong. Most people who I've spoken to that come from large families, love it. There is a lot of closeness there that you can't have with "friends."

I don't think anyone said it was "child abuse". If I recall correctly, people thought it was pretty pathetic, though. I don't think humans should have litters... but that's just me.

I think there were also many of us who said there was no way in hell one could be a good parent to that many kids.

I stand by that and I don't see any reason to applaud someone for being nothing but a breeder. I felt the same way when I got the email the other day that my husband's cousin had something like her 11th child.

Some Liberals believe they know what's best for everybody. If they had it their way, they would have the government limit the number of kids a family could have. It's this kind of arrogance and intolerance that make these liberals so dangerous.

Well, I lean more left than right, but........

If I had the money and resources I would buy a huge mansion and have all the unwanted, abused and negleted children come live with me. Seriously.

What does that make me?

I don't think anyone said it was "child abuse". If I recall correctly, people thought it was pretty pathetic, though. I don't think humans should have litters... but that's just me.

I think there were also many of us who said there was no way in hell one could be a good parent to that many kids.

I stand by that and I don't see any reason to applaud someone for being nothing but a breeder. I felt the same way when I got the email the other day that my husband's cousin had something like her 11th child.

You liberals like to use the term "breeder." She is not an animal. Her name is Michelle Duggar and she is a mother to these beautiful children. Children are a gift from God. If you do not see it this way, you have a right to your opinion, but please do not put down people who have big families and look to be doing a better job than most.

Congratulations to your husband's cousin. She is a better woman than I. I wish I had the courage to have so many kids. Perhaps it is my selfishness that is getting in the way.

What about the people who choose not to have kids? I have a dozen reasons why they should, but I don't go around putting them down.

1) I don't see how it is pathetic
2) Humans don't have litters.. they have children not animals... they have families
3) It is inherently HARDER to raise more kids... but with commitment, strong values, etc a parent of 10 can be as good to their children as a parent of 1 can be to their single child
4) I do applaud ones who have more kids and do a good job raising them to be good adults. I would not approve ones that have multiple children or huge families and do not have the commitment necessary to that family. Ones who abuse their kids, ones that have them for additional entitlement benefits etc, those are the ones to withhold applause from. Not just simply because a couple choose to have a large family that they love and enjoy.

Well, I lean more left than right, but........

If I had the money and resources I would buy a huge mansion and have all the unwanted, abused and negleted children come live with me. Seriously.

What does that make me?

That makes you worthy of a positive rep! :eusa_angel:

(Notice, I just said 'some liberals'. Wingnuts exist on both sides of the aisle. It's the arrogant, controlling and intolerant ones that scare me.)

Forum List

Back