The drugs don't work - so what will?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by waltky, Apr 9, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    The Doomsday Bug...
    :eek:
    The drugs don't work - so what will?
    8 April 2011 : Antibiotics have been one of the greatest success stories in medicine. But there is growing concern that the drugs' usefulness is coming to an end.

2. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    It's my understanding that over-use of antibiotic drugs has had the effect of also knocking out the body's natural immune system. (Just like chemotherapy also kills good cells as well as the bad.)

To answer your question, maybe we need to just say no to manufactured antibodies and go back to relying on built-in antibodies. When I was a kid, I did all sorts of things considered taboo these days: Ate strawberries right off the plants in the garden without washing them; crawled around in the woods with no bug protection; bathed in pure Ivory soap; often forgot to wash my hands before/after meals AND the bathroom. And we never had all these additional health problems experienced today, just the normal number of colds and stomach flus.

Also, even more controversial: My parents both smoked, my mother smoked and drank alcohol (normally) all during 3 pregnancies, and ultimately all five members of the household smoked. None of us kids suffered any consequences, and no one died of lung disease caused by "second-hand" smoke.