The Dow goes up 497 points

I believe that you folks who think the market is enitrely moving based on the day-to-day events in the news are being mislead by your theories that the government has total control over the market.

Certainly sometimes that might be true but every damned say?

I do not think the market works that way, folks.

As an S&P futures day-trader of many years, I can assure you that a individual day's price movement is determined by news, actions by the Fed, and then market operators mostly when the other two are not operative.

Lately it has been all Fed. Most S&P traders have been out of the S&P since it looked like The Prophet was going to be elected. Everything now is based on news and the Fed. The Wall Street houses, who often maintain a semblence of order, are either gone or in such bad shape they are not really driving the market on a consistent basis either.

And the market is coming off an extreme over-sold condition. Perhaps we are turning around. Who knows.

I believe that you folks who think the market is enitrely moving based on the day-to-day events in the news are being mislead by your theories that the government has total control over the market.

Certainly sometimes that might be true but every damned say?

I do not think the market works that way, folks.

Well said...

The market moves on the means by which those in the market, feel that it serves their individual best interests.

Now does it serve reason that those in the market would feel that their individual interests are served by a treasury Department which is so screwed up that THEY CAN'T EVEN DISCUSS THE SPECIFIC OF THEIR PLANS?

I rather doubt it...

So when the Sec of Treasury FINALLY comes along and lays out his plan, it serves reason that JUST KNOWING THAT THEY HAVE A PLAN... would come as some relief.

The plan itself is a disaster... it can only make things worse, but at LEAST knowing what it IS, is a place to start trying to fix it.

But as buying opportunities GO... right now the equity market is having a fire sale... It's a "70% off EVERYTHING IN STOCK" sale... and they're damn near GIVING AWAY some items...

Imagine that your grand parents put the equivilent of $10,000 in todays dollars into the stock market in 1931... Assuming that you had not pissed off old Grand Dad... you'd be a VERY wealthy man today; and by TODAY I mean TODAY; and by that I mean that you had not taken a dime out of the market during the peaks around 14,000... and let it all ride down to present values. Of course you were TWICE as wealthy THEN, back when BUSH Policy had RUINED the economy, before the Marxists rode into power and saved us from those crazy ass numbers..

The Dow hovered around 169... in 1931. Last month it hovered in the low 6000s... it's better by more than a thousand points today... and that is going to remain the same or get worse as "progressive policy' punishes production and profits. But that was the case throughout the 30s as well.

The bad news here is this current strain of "Progressive' is MUCH more of a threat to the individual, and thus the means of private market to PRODUCE a profit. But the GOOD news is that if they screw it up, any money that's in the market will be just as worthless as the money ya have buried in the back yard... so it's a push; the only distinction is that the money in the market has a CHANCE for growth, while that money which hides from risk, has NO chance of growth while suffering the certainty of devaluation.

Last edited:
As an S&P futures day-trader of many years, I can assure you that a individual day's price movement is determined by news, actions by the Fed, and then market operators mostly when the other two are not operative.

Lately it has been all Fed. Most S&P traders have been out of the S&P since it looked like The Prophet was going to be elected. Everything now is based on news and the Fed. The Wall Street houses, who often maintain a semblence of order, are either gone or in such bad shape they are not really driving the market on a consistent basis either.

And the market is coming off an extreme over-sold condition. Perhaps we are turning around. Who knows.

Well I'm certainly NOT arguming that what the FED does or the government does, or even what some foreighn government does will NOT effect the markets, IO.

But can you tell me exactly why the market went up yesterday?

Can you really prove that the day before yesterday's news cause the market to react as it did yesterday?

Because if you could, then you could also never lose a fucking penny in the market, right?

All you'd need do is pay attention the news about what the government is doing and then?

Then you could capitalize on it couldn't you?

Now are telling me that you never guessed wrong about how the market would react?

Never?

Not once?

I, too, am quite concerned forward from the mid-term. What Geithner is doing is not really new and, as far as I am aware, has never worked by any objective measurement.

I am actually wondering if anyone in this adminstration, including Geithner, really knows anything about the economy below the financial institution level. That is just one of a group of disconcerting thoughts.

The whole mix coming out of the perfect storm the brought The Prophet into office has little to recommend it.

Well I'm certainly NOT arguming that what the FED does or the government does, or even what some foreighn government does will NOT effect the markets, IO.

But can you tell me exactly why the market went up yesterday?

Can you really prove that the day before yesterday's news cause the market to react as it did yesterday?

Because if you could, then you could also never lose a fucking penny in the market, right?

All you'd need do is pay attention the news about what the government is doing and then?

Then you could capitalize on it couldn't you?

Now are telling me that you never guessed wrong about how the market would react?

Never?

Not once?

Ed... look... One needs to risk a LOT less today to realize substantial growth TODAY... thus the volume of people who jump in for quick gains born on temporal 'news', where they anticipate certain reactions, which will induce the usual suspects to buy, thus represents a chance to gain.

For instance, using rough numbers... Three weeks ago, you could buy a block of GM stock for $127.00 Meaning you could buy a thousand shares of GM for $1270. Had you done so, since then, you'd have turned your $1270 into $3500.

To do the same thing back in 2005 when GM traded for over $50... would have cost ya $5000 for a block and $50,000 for 10 blocks or 1000 shares. And what's MORE, you risked that investment against the very real liklihood that it would plummet in value, as it did in april of 06.

Today GM is selling for roughly $3.30... Let's assume you buy a thousand shares for $3300 and GM goes busted; you're out $3300 bucks... and its POSSIBLE that that COULD happen... thus the whole "RISK" thing... but the long odds are that GM will inevitably work its way back up to $30/share... and IF (and I believe: when) that happens, that $3300 would be valued closer to THIRTY THOUSAND.

The whole thing boils down to individual interests being key to the movement of the free market; that people buy on news doesn't necessarily mean that they believe that the news is GOOD news... or BAD news... just that THE NEWS will effect the potential for gains.

Last edited:
One TRILLION DOLLARS = Every mortgage in American paid for 14 months.

You want to jump start MY economy?

Pay my (pay all our) mortgage(s) for 14 months.

That'll do it.
that would have done more for the economy than that bullshit congress passed and Obama signed

Pub,

Yes, had my grandparents been bold enough to invest in the stock market 70 plus years ago and had I cashed in their investment my return on their investment would be quite high, no doubt. (about 49% simple annual interest per year )

However, had my Grandparents invested in 1931 and needed the money BEFORE 1955 their return on investment would have been about $zero, yes?

And that isn't taking the losses they'd have suffered due to inflation, either, would it?

Hey, for all I know the stock market is wildly underpriced, today.

Then too, it might be wildly overpriced,

It really depends on events as yet unfolded, doesn't it?

Events which neither you nor I can predict with any degree of certainty.

Well...maybe you can predict them, but I'm fairly certain I cannot.

I cannot even figure out if we're about to go into a period of high inflation or not to be honest.

And frankly that's all I need to know to know how to invest (or divest) right now.

Last edited:
One TRILLION DOLLARS = Every mortgage in American paid for 14 months.

You want to jump start MY economy?

Pay my (pay all our) mortgage(s) for 14 months.

That'll do it.
that would have done more for the economy than that bullshit congress passed and Obama signed

YUP!

Plus it would have prevented those mortgages which started this landslide from screwing those bonds which broke the banks which screwed the economic pooch, too.

However, it would ALSO have initiated a period of very high inflation, I suspect.

The market, responding to an increase in deamnd, would have responded ion that normal fashion of increased prices.

There's no free lunch, there's only getting somebody else to pick up the check.

Shit.......ya wanna stimulate the economy? Legalize cannabis. It is a BILLION DOLLAR A YEAR business in California alone.

I guarantee.......legalize it and within 6 months the economy will be making a strong comeback. We could get off oil (hemp makes oil), as well as have food and other things.

Additionally, maybe everyone would be able to get the sticks out of their collective asses.

Not only that, but the infrastructure and the legislation ALREADY IS IN PLACE. All the government has to do is start selling Marijuana Tax stamps.

Marihuana Tax Act of 1937
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Marijuana Tax Act)
Jump to: navigation, search
HR. 238 [75th]: Marihuana Tax Act
full text
Signed by the president.
Introduced August 2, 1937
Sponsor(s) Rep. Robert L. Doughton [-]
Source: {{{footnotes}}}
Major U.S. Federal
narcotic laws
Image:Marijuana icon.jpg
1906 Pure Food and Drug Act
Regulates labeling of products containing
certain drugs including cocaine and heroin
1914 Harrison Narcotics Tax Act
Regulate opiates and cocaine
1937 Marihuana Tax Act
Criminalization of marijuana.
1964 Convention on Narcotics.
Treaty to control marijuana
1970 Controlled Substance Act
Scheduling list for drugs
v • d • e

In the United States, the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act, Pub. 238, 75th Congress, 50 Stat. 551 (Aug. 2, 1937), was a significant bill on the path that led to the criminalization of cannabis. It was introduced to U.S. Congress by "Drug Czar" Harry Anslinger, then Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 References
* 2 Further reading
* 3 External links

The Act did not itself criminalize the possession or usage of hemp, marijuana or cannabis, but levied a tax equaling roughly one dollar on anyone who dealt commercially in cannabis, hemp or marijuana. It did, however, include penalty provisions and a complex Regulation 1 codifying the elaborate rules of enforcement marijuana cannabis or hemp handlers were subject to. Violation of these procedures could result in a fine of up to $2000 and five years' imprisonment. The net effect was to make it too risky for anyone to deal in the substance until World War II required the United States Department of Agriculture to make its 1942 movie "Hemp for Victory". The film encouraged and taught farmers to grow variants of hemp suitable as raw material for hawsers used by U.S Marines; the hemp was used as a substitute for other raw materials that were blocked by Japan.

The bill was passed on the grounds of different reports[1] and hearings [2]. Anslinger also referred to the International Opium Convention that from 1928 included cannabis as a drug, and that all states had some kind of laws against improper use of cannabis. Some testimonies included that cannabis caused "murder, insanity and death.[citation needed] Today, it is generally accepted that the hearings included incorrect, excessive or unfounded arguments.[citation needed] By 1951, however, new justifications had emerged, and a bill that superseded the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 was passed.

The background also included a report about the commercialized hemp reporting that from 1880 to 1933 the hemp grown in the United States had declined from 15,000 acres (61 km2), to 1,200 acres (5 km2), and that the price of line hemp had dropped from $12.50 per pound in 1914 to $9.00 per pound in 1933.[3]

In 1967, President Johnson's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of justice opined, "The Act raises an insignificant amount of revenue and exposes an insignificant number of marijuana transactions to public view, since only a handful of people are registered under the Act. It has become, in effect, solely- a criminal law, imposing sanctions upon persons who sell, acquire, or possess marijuana."[4]

In 1969 in Leary v. United States, this act was found to be unconstitutional since it violated the Fifth Amendment, since a person seeking the tax stamp would have to incriminate him/herself.[5] In response the Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970[6]. The 1937 Act was repealed by the 1970 Act.

Although the spelling "marijuana" is more common in current usage, the correct spelling for the Marihuana Tax Act is "Marihuana". "Marihuana" was the spelling most commonly used in Federal Government documents at the time. To stay consistent with prior law, it is still spelled "Marihuana" in some congressional bills such as HR 3037, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2005.

In addition... the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 legitimized, made official, the use of the labeling of hemp and cannabis plants and products to be termed/called, "marihuana" or, as it is now said, "marijuana"... prior to 1937, "marihuana/marijuana" was slang, it was not included in any official dictionaries... as a reference (consult any dictionary prior to 1937) the author refers you to Webster's New International Dictionary, 1921, Published by G.&C. Merriam Company, Springfield, Mass., U.S.A., pg. 1318 - which is where if such a official word existed, it would be present, and it's not. The slang word marihuana/marijuana is probably of Mexican origin. In the years leading up to the tax act considerable issues existed involving illegal immigration of Mexicans into the United States, and the one thing Mexicans were identified as being in possession of was cannabis, what they called marihuana. It was the southern, border states that called for action. As documented by the History Channel's documentary, "Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way", copyright 2000, A&E Television Network, Cat. No. AAE-70805, Volume 1, Harry Anslinger resisted the call to even consider criminalizing cannabis... but under considerable pressure by southern states, and recent propaganda/horror movies inspired by, such notable figures as, William Randolf Hearst, Anslinger bowed to pressure, and based on the success of the tax act earlier created to "ban" possession of machine guns, created the tax act to ban what the Mexicans seemed to possess, that being marihuana, and therefor, illegal immigrants could now be arrested for possession of marihuana, as well as all US citizens.

I am glad that the market is back on the move up (for once) but it is becoming a bit much with amount of money being spent to get us out the issue. Then again if we look way back when the New Deal was criticized for using alot of dough and it ended up saving the entire country in the end.

We can't take it with us I guess.

Shit.......ya wanna stimulate the economy? Legalize cannabis. It is a BILLION DOLLAR A YEAR business in California alone.

I guarantee.......legalize it and within 6 months the economy will be making a strong comeback. We could get off oil (hemp makes oil), as well as have food and other things.

Additionally, maybe everyone would be able to get the sticks out of their collective asses.

Not only that, but the infrastructure and the legislation ALREADY IS IN PLACE. All the government has to do is start selling Marijuana Tax stamps.

full text
Signed by the president.
Major U.S. Federal
narcotic laws
1937 Marihuana Tax Act
v • d • e

In the United States, the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act, Pub. 238, 75th Congress, 50 Stat. 551 (Aug. 2, 1937), was a significant bill on the path that led to the criminalization of cannabis. It was introduced to U.S. Congress by "Drug Czar" Harry Anslinger, then Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 References
* 2 Further reading
* 3 External links

The Act did not itself criminalize the possession or usage of hemp, marijuana or cannabis, but levied a tax equaling roughly one dollar on anyone who dealt commercially in cannabis, hemp or marijuana. It did, however, include penalty provisions and a complex Regulation 1 codifying the elaborate rules of enforcement marijuana cannabis or hemp handlers were subject to. Violation of these procedures could result in a fine of up to $2000 and five years' imprisonment. The net effect was to make it too risky for anyone to deal in the substance until World War II required the United States Department of Agriculture to make its 1942 movie "Hemp for Victory". The film encouraged and taught farmers to grow variants of hemp suitable as raw material for hawsers used by U.S Marines; the hemp was used as a substitute for other raw materials that were blocked by Japan.

The bill was passed on the grounds of different reports[1] and hearings [2]. Anslinger also referred to the International Opium Convention that from 1928 included cannabis as a drug, and that all states had some kind of laws against improper use of cannabis. Some testimonies included that cannabis caused "murder, insanity and death.[citation needed] Today, it is generally accepted that the hearings included incorrect, excessive or unfounded arguments.[citation needed] By 1951, however, new justifications had emerged, and a bill that superseded the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 was passed.

The background also included a report about the commercialized hemp reporting that from 1880 to 1933 the hemp grown in the United States had declined from 15,000 acres (61 km2), to 1,200 acres (5 km2), and that the price of line hemp had dropped from $12.50 per pound in 1914 to $9.00 per pound in 1933.[3]

In 1967, President Johnson's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of justice opined, "The Act raises an insignificant amount of revenue and exposes an insignificant number of marijuana transactions to public view, since only a handful of people are registered under the Act. It has become, in effect, solely- a criminal law, imposing sanctions upon persons who sell, acquire, or possess marijuana."[4]

In 1969 in Leary v. United States, this act was found to be unconstitutional since it violated the Fifth Amendment, since a person seeking the tax stamp would have to incriminate him/herself.[5] In response the Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970[6]. The 1937 Act was repealed by the 1970 Act.

Although the spelling "marijuana" is more common in current usage, the correct spelling for the Marihuana Tax Act is "Marihuana". "Marihuana" was the spelling most commonly used in Federal Government documents at the time. To stay consistent with prior law, it is still spelled "Marihuana" in some congressional bills such as HR 3037, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2005.

In addition... the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 legitimized, made official, the use of the labeling of hemp and cannabis plants and products to be termed/called, "marihuana" or, as it is now said, "marijuana"... prior to 1937, "marihuana/marijuana" was slang, it was not included in any official dictionaries... as a reference (consult any dictionary prior to 1937) the author refers you to Webster's New International Dictionary, 1921, Published by G.&C. Merriam Company, Springfield, Mass., U.S.A., pg. 1318 - which is where if such a official word existed, it would be present, and it's not. The slang word marihuana/marijuana is probably of Mexican origin. In the years leading up to the tax act considerable issues existed involving illegal immigration of Mexicans into the United States, and the one thing Mexicans were identified as being in possession of was cannabis, what they called marihuana. It was the southern, border states that called for action. As documented by the History Channel's documentary, "Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way", copyright 2000, A&E Television Network, Cat. No. AAE-70805, Volume 1, Harry Anslinger resisted the call to even consider criminalizing cannabis... but under considerable pressure by southern states, and recent propaganda/horror movies inspired by, such notable figures as, William Randolf Hearst, Anslinger bowed to pressure, and based on the success of the tax act earlier created to "ban" possession of machine guns, created the tax act to ban what the Mexicans seemed to possess, that being marihuana, and therefor, illegal immigrants could now be arrested for possession of marihuana, as well as all US citizens.
i wouldnt have a problem with that, it would also kill most of the drug business
then the tobacco companies could switch over a bunch of their crop to MJ and we could cut all the subsidies they are given

Actually, RJ Reynolds has that already in place......they're called "Blackjacks".

They started the program around 1976 when Carter was in office, and all they're doing is waiting for legalization.

I am glad that the market is back on the move up (for once) but it is becoming a bit much with amount of money being spent to get us out the issue. Then again if we look way back when the New Deal was criticized for using alot of dough and it ended up saving the entire country in the end.

We can't take it with us I guess.

Good points.

And don't forget all the money we spent in Iraq. The GOP first said Iraq oil would pay for the war, and then they said the $10 billion a month we were spending was well worth the investment.

So this spending should certainly be considered an investment.

And it isn't like we don't need bridges/roads and levy's.

Also, remember the money spent here in America will stay here in America. So eventually, the government will get it back.

Actually, this spending has more of a stimulative effect than tax breaks.

PS. Remember Bush gave the rich a tax break and that made the market happy? Well we can't pay our bills without their fair share.

PPS. Lets not go back to judging the economy based on how Wallstreet did. Lets focus on mainstreet. How is unemployment, wages, debt, poverty, consumer spending.

Had the GOP factored in these things the last 8 years, they would have known the economy sucked. But everytime I would show my right wing friends something bad about the economy, they would show me how great the DOW was doing.

FUCK the dow. :eek:

full text
Signed by the president.
Major U.S. Federal
narcotic laws
1937 Marihuana Tax Act
v • d • e

Contents
[hide]

* 1 References
* 2 Further reading
* 3 External links

i wouldnt have a problem with that, it would also kill most of the drug business
then the tobacco companies could switch over a bunch of their crop to MJ and we could cut all the subsidies they are given

And the government would make billions in tax revenue. NEW tax revenue!!!

Legalizing pot is the answer to all our problems.

PS. The GOP (and probably the dems too), protect the tobacco companies profits by keeping pot illegal.

And the courts make a lot of money on people who got caught smoking a joint.

Pathetic really.

And the government would make billions in tax revenue. NEW tax revenue!!!

Legalizing pot is the answer to all our problems.

PS. The GOP (and probably the dems too), protect the tobacco companies profits by keeping pot illegal.

And the courts make a lot of money on people who got caught smoking a joint.

Pathetic really.
uh, bobo, the tobacco companies would start producing pot

you really dont think through your posts before you make them, do you?

You know.......with all the things that I've seen on the news lately, there are more and more politicians that are turning towards the idea of the legalization of cannabis.

Google "marijuana legalization" sometime........it's pretty eye opening.

You know.......with all the things that I've seen on the news lately, there are more and more politicians that are turning towards the idea of the legalization of cannabis.

Google "marijuana legalization" sometime........it's pretty eye opening.
hey, i want all you pot smokers to have as much as you want
as long as you arent giving it to kids
same for cigs
smoke all you want

Forum List

Back