The Dow Doesn't Represent The Economy

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
From Market Watch dot com:
The Dow doesn't represent the economy MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch
Along with stellar earnings from big companies such as J.P. Morgan and Intel, Dow 10,000 shows big companies are doing just fine. At the other end of the spectrum, however, small businesses are still mired deep in a recession. Wall Street may be celebrating, but Main Street can't afford to.

Big business has access to capital; small business doesn't. Big businesses have been earning lots of money; small businesses say profits are falling. Big business could afford to hire workers, if it wanted to; small businesses can't.

The health of big business -- and the rebound in the stock market -- may be blinding us to just how weak the rest of the economy is.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but small business make up a majority of job creation in this economy and that isn't happening. Until it does, the economy is weak and recessionary (is that the word?)

True. However, the rest of the economy usually follows the DOW. Not always, but usually. If we start seeing positive employment numbers this spring, then we will know that the recession is over. Not over until the employment numbers are positive.

Why don't you guys look at how the dollar is doing and maybe it's inflation causing this rise in the market.

The economy for the rest of the world is also improving, so I would say that overall we are starting to see a positive trend. Hopefully it will continue and translate into employment.

Mad Scientist and Truthsaga are right.

When the dollar collapses you all better not come crying to me for help... I'm a forgiving person, but I also get a little trigger-happy when people start thinking they're entitled to my shit.

The economy for the rest of the world is also improving, so I would say that overall we are starting to see a positive trend. Hopefully it will continue and translate into employment.

They've re-inflated the housing bubble, it's a bubble because it's based on economic fantasy and has no solid financial base.

Our labor is over priced, we don't produce anything because regulations have ran businesses out of states and our country.

The people who pass legislation to help the poor and under privelage to be able to buy homes are now directy responsible for them being foreclosed on. The worse thing is now their coming to us to take the tab.

Forum List

Back