The "Doubly"Insured

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Does anyone know if this is being addressed in the HC bill? If a person has benefits through their spouse or parent, will companies still have to pay for their insurance? How is it handled now at your job?

Does anyone know if this is being addressed in the HC bill? If a person has benefits through their spouse or parent, will companies still have to pay for their insurance? How is it handled now at your job?

The Obama administration plans to tattoo your policy number on your arm as proof you have coverage.

An employer will be able to scan a picture of the tattoo onto an exemption form. Thus avoiding providing coverage or paying the fine.

Ha ha. Coming soon - the insurance chip?

I am very curious about this for a number of reasons. As it looks now, a married 26 year old could be covered by self, spouse, and parents. Where's the savings?

And as far as small businesses: Many employees have negotiated higher salaries in lieu of insurance - many because they had it from a spouse. Will they now be able to demand "double" insurance? So many details we've yet to learn.

I have wondered how this would work myself.

All companies supposedly are going to have to offer coverage and pay 60% of the insurance premiums which is added expense to the employer, so when it comes down to a husband and wife who both work, which employer is going to have to eat the added expense?

Immie

What's to stop employers who don't offer insurance now from firing everyone who is uninsured? Could a good percentage of those folks the Dems claim to care about suddenly find themselves unemployed? And unemployable? Unintended consequences...

I fear the shit has yet to really hit the fan.

Maybe this has already been asked, but couldn't a company dispute having to cover someone because they could be covered by a spouse... or vise versa?

I see alot of companies denying the coverage of anyone besides the employee.

The devil is in the details.. But where does that leave the 26 year old uninsured "child"? My district offers 6K to "opt out" if someone is insured through a spouse. But many do not take it. I can't imagine the feds could force employers to offer "opt out cash" but then again...

I wish someone knew. Maybe we could ask our congressmen? (Insert snark mark here)

I am very curious about this for a number of reasons. As it looks now, a married 26 year old could be covered by self, spouse, and parents. Where's the savings?

And as far as small businesses: Many employees have negotiated higher salaries in lieu of insurance - many because they had it from a spouse. Will they now be able to demand "double" insurance? So many details we've yet to learn.

I can guarantee you, that if a parent's child has insurance at his work, they will probably not put them on to their own policy....

and more than likely, if the child has a job that supplies insurance, he still HAS TO PAY A PORTION OF IT and has to opt IN to it...and I can guarantee you that if his parents are willing to keep him on their policy due to him still living at home, he will NOT opt in to his employee plan.....

I think there probably is not a real problem with all of this....

but if there is multiple insurances on a person...I believe there are rules in place of who comes first, and who comes second in the fine print, of who pays what....?

The "Doubly" Insured

You sure that's not "Dolby"? :D

6984789_tml.jpg

I can guarantee you, that if a parent's child has insurance at his work, they will probably not put them on to their own policy....

and more than likely, if the child has a job that supplies insurance, he still HAS TO PAY A PORTION OF IT and has to opt IN to it...and I can guarantee you that if his parents are willing to keep him on their policy due to him still living at home, he will NOT opt in to his employee plan.....

but if there is multiple insurances on a person...I believe there are rules in place of who comes first, and who comes second in the fine print, of who pays what....?

Why would anyone allow multiple policies on a person?

Why would three different companies be forced to pay for policies for one employee? In this case, the father's employer, the mother's employer and the child's employer. Since each company is required to pay at least 60% of the costs of coverage, it would be outrageous to expect companies to foot those bills!

I wonder if HCR even addresses how these types of situations are covered. I can tell you that I expect companies to start looking at these things and how to avoid them. If Mr. Jones works and Mrs. Jones also works and they have three children, both employers are going to be attempting to find ways to force the other employer to cover the family.

Also, another question, the bill mandates that employers pay 60% of the coverage. Is that 60% of the entire families coverage? Many employers have covered 100% of the cost of the employee's coverage and required the employee to pay most or all of the coverage for a family. What is going to change under HCR? Will Walmart be expected to pick up 60% of its employee's family coverage or are Walmart employee's going to have to accept that they get their own personal coverage paid at 60% but that they also have to pay to insure their spouse and children at full costs? On a Walmart employees wages? With or without subsidies... are you kidding me?

Immie

Note: replace Walmart with McDonald's, Burger King, Jack-in-the-Box etc. etc. etc.

Why would three different companies be forced to pay for policies for one employee? In this case, the father's employer, the mother's employer and the child's employer. Since each company is required to pay at least 60% of the costs of coverage, it would be outrageous to expect companies to foot those bills!

I wonder if HCR even addresses how these types of situations are covered. I can tell you that I expect companies to start looking at these things and how to avoid them. If Mr. Jones works and Mrs. Jones also works and they have three children, both employers are going to be attempting to find ways to force the other employer to cover the family.

Also, another question, the bill mandates that employers pay 60% of the coverage. Is that 60% of the entire families coverage? Many employers have covered 100% of the cost of the employee's coverage and required the employee to pay most or all of the coverage for a family. What is going to change under HCR? Will Walmart be expected to pick up 60% of its employee's family coverage or are Walmart employee's going to have to accept that they get their own personal coverage paid at 60% but that they also have to pay to insure their spouse and children at full costs? On a Walmart employees wages? With or without subsidies... are you kidding me?

Immie

Note: replace Walmart with McDonald's, Burger King, Jack-in-the-Box etc. etc. etc.

Well, with my husband....for his disability, the VA pays for his disability medical care, and any other medical services he gets at the VA, due to him having private insurance, they charge them...they bill the insurance company....for the services they require....this started about 10 years ago.... it used to be, the VA paid for the whole care he got there...now they ask if you have private insurance and scan your card so to bill them for anything that is not related to his disability....

My parents have medicare insurance, and tricare insurance and I believe they still purchase supplemental insurance...

medicare pays first, what they won't pay, their TRicare pays, what that won't pay, their supplemental health insurance pays.

I have great insurance as a teacher. Of course I will keep my kids on til they are 26 - whether or not they can get it themselves. The taxpayers pay for it. This is absurd. Multiply that by X number of civil servants. Egadz!

And yes care - there is a "coordination of benefits" that goes by month of birthdate - regardless of what kind of insurance you have. Very complicated.

Immie

Well, with my husband....for his disability, the VA pays for his disability medical care, and any other medical services he gets at the VA, due to him having private insurance, they charge them...they bill the insurance company....for the services they require....this started about 10 years ago.... it used to be, the VA paid for the whole care he got there...now they ask if you have private insurance and scan your card so to bill them for anything that is not related to his disability....

My parents have medicare insurance, and tricare insurance and I believe they still purchase supplemental insurance...

medicare pays first, what they won't pay, their TRicare pays, what that won't pay, their supplemental health insurance pays.

But that is not the same as requiring three different companies to provide full insurance on a working child.

Immie

Forum List

Back