The Doomsday Clock - 3 minutes to midnight

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Timeline

"IT IS 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

2015: "Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth.” Despite some modestly positive developments in the climate change arena, current efforts are entirely insufficient to prevent a catastrophic warming of Earth. Meanwhile, the United States and Russia have embarked on massive programs to modernize their nuclear triads—thereby undermining existing nuclear weapons treaties. "The clock ticks now at just three minutes to midnight because international leaders are failing to perform their most important duty—ensuring and preserving the health and vitality of human civilization."
"

For some comparison to the past positions:

IT IS 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
1984: U.S.-Soviet relations reach their iciest point in decades. Dialogue between the two superpowers virtually stops. "Every channel of communications has been constricted or shut down; every form of contact has been attenuated or cut off. And arms control negotiations have been reduced to a species of propaganda," a concerned Bulletin informs readers. The United States seems to flout the few arms control agreements in place by seeking an expansive, space-based anti-ballistic missile capability, raising worries that a new arms race will begin.

IT IS 2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
1953: After much debate, the United States decides to pursue the hydrogen bomb, a weapon far more powerful than any atomic bomb. In October 1952, the United States tests its first thermonuclear device, obliterating a Pacific Ocean islet in the process; nine months later, the Soviets test an H-bomb of their own. "The hands of the Clock of Doom have moved again," the Bulletin announces. "Only a few more swings of the pendulum, and, from Moscow to Chicago, atomic explosions will strike midnight for Western civilization."

IT IS 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
1949: The Soviet Union denies it, but in the fall, President Harry Truman tells the American public that the Soviets tested their first nuclear device, officially starting the arms race. "We do not advise Americans that doomsday is near and that they can expect atomic bombs to start falling on their heads a month or year from now," the Bulletin explains. "But we think they have reason to be deeply alarmed and to be prepared for grave decisions."

The Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 didn't result in the clock moving lower than 7-12 mins (1960-1963)

Operation 'Able Archer' in 1983, which brought us even closer to nuclear weapons release than the 1962 crisis also didn't result in the clock moving lower than 3-4 mins (1981-1984)

And the 'Norwegian Rocket Incident' in 1995, the closest we've ever been to using nuclear weapons we were at a comfy 14 mins to midnight.

We're at 3 mins right now.

Clearly, this metaphor (the "Doomsday Clock") has exceeded the Sell-by date.

Not mentioned is one phenomenon that I think is more urgent than anything listed: The possession of tactical nuclear weapons by regimes that think they know what God wants, and for whom Mutually Assured Destruction might not work as a deterrent.

And as I type these silly words, I'm personally pulling for Global Warming to speed up so I don't have to go to Florida in February to golf.

Clearly, this metaphor (the "Doomsday Clock") has exceeded the Sell-by date.

Not mentioned is one phenomenon that I think is more urgent than anything listed: The possession of tactical nuclear weapons by regimes that think they know what God wants, and for whom Mutually Assured Destruction might not work as a deterrent.

And as I type these silly words, I'm personally pulling for Global Warming to speed up so I don't have to go to Florida in February to golf.

Don't remind me, just read a thing on tacticals Pakistan has.

Radical Islam is gonna bring on Doomsday. Not the fumes from my Ford F150.

Russian missiles are either for turkey planes or the western forces flying over syria.
Putin is prepared to start a war. Syria is his tool and the FSA and ISIS don't have planes.

If NATO is forced to get involved Russia will be the cause. Putin has nuclear weapons that either he can use to transfer to Iran.

What ever happens it won't be pretty, like the middle east is not complicated enough.

Putin is even taunting Israel by straying into Israeli air space, which is not that close to where they are bombing, so it is hardly accidental.

Sorry but if Putin starts a world war the Geneva convention rules should be thrown in the incinerator. No hand cuffs

I guess it's tonight? I have never even heard of this!
LOL!

Doomsday Clock 2016 Updated — Here's a Countdown to the "End of Humanity"

Scientists reveal 2016 Doomsday clock on Jan. 26, 2016.
Source: The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
This is the closest the clock has been to disaster since early above-ground hydrogen bomb testing, according to the Bulletin's press release. A team of scientists adjust the Doomsday clock annually based on conditions of positive and negative variation in climate change, nuclear weapons, biotechnology and other technological advancements.

Forum List

Back