the Doolittle raid remembered

We could have lost one valuable and scarce carrier and for what, to raise morale. It was a stupid gamble that did no real damage to the Japanese but did motivate them to improve their air defenses.

In today's Obama Air Corps (watch the pronunciation, libs) the name
"Doolittle" would not merit promotion. A simple change to "Doonothing", however, would result in rapid rise through the ranks.

At the time, it was a major morale booster for the US and a cause for celebration

But are suicide missions worth it? Was the loss of life worth dropping a few bombs on Tokyo that were of little tactical importance? A mission like that today would be criticized, but that was a different era

Awesome heroic effort by true American heroes. Leftwing idiots will knock it but the Doolittle raid caused the Japanese Empire to cut their forces by keeping a strong defense force around the home islands. This made the war easier to win in our weakened state.

Every Doolittle Raider knew there was a good chance they'd never come back, but they also knew this mission was very important for American morale. They were right about the morale and, fortunately, wrong it was a suicide mission. Most came back as heroes. Heroism they deserved because in a time when America needed heroes, these men stepped up to volunteer.

Last-surviving-Doolittle-Raid-pilot-commemorates-75th-anniversary.jpg

I remember the Doolitle raid. If not for his ability to talk to the animals it never could have succeeded

The difference in the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle raid on Tokyo is that the Japs were able to recover their planes and return home. Doolittle and his fliers had to ditch theirs in China and Russia and walk home.

Not a brilliant idea in my book.

I like the idea of preserving the aircraft or vessel or vehicle during and after a mission.

Last edited:
The difference in the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle raid on Tokyo is that the Japs were able to recover their planes and return home. Doolittle and his fliers had to ditch theirs in China and Russia and walk home.

Not a brilliant idea in my book.

I like the idea of preserving the aircraft or vessel or vehicle.
The Doolittle raid was just for show and had little tactical value

Propaganda made it bigger than it was. Militarily, it was not worth the loss of life

It was a great tactical surprise for the Japanese, but unfortunately the planes were lost and several pilots were killed or imprisoned by the Japanese in China. The one that landed in the USSR was interned for a year...

After the raid, the Japanese Imperial Army conducted a massive sweep through the eastern coastal provinces of China, in an operation now known as the Zhejiang-Jiangxi Campaign, searching for the surviving American airmen and applying retribution on the Chinese who aided them, in an effort to prevent this part of China from being used again for an attack on Japan. An estimated 250,000 Chinese civilians were killed by the Japanese during this operation

Doolittle Raid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Russian vacation with Russian babooshka's would not have been bad.

I'm sure my uncle who flew bomber missions over Tokyo later would not have minded it either.

My dad was busy chasing German frauleins across Germany at the time.

A good soldier, sailor, marine, or airman should be able to find some fine pussy wherever he goes.

:D

Forum List

Back