The donkey and the pony

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
OK, so a donkey and pony appeared in the neighborhood next to ours. Nobody knows who they belong to. Funny thing is, there are no "real" farms nearby. There is a small 4 acre "horsefarm" nearby, but they don't belong to that farm.

Literally, one of the residents woke up last Monday morning, looked in his backyard, and there was a donkey and a pony!

WTF?!? Weird, huh?

The homeowners in the subdivision are keeping them in the fenced in retaining pond area until they can figure out what to do with them. Neighborhood kids are loving it. We've been over twice now to feed them carrots, and they are VERY domesticated. You walk near the fence and they start rubbing up against it trying to entice you to pet them.

It's in a higher-end neighborhood too. Which is funny, all these yuppies not knowing what to do with two farm animals. LOL

Luckily there's an old guy who lives there....who used to own all of the land that the subdivision sits on (he sold it all for a tidy sum to a developer). He's a good 'ol boy, and has been around farm animals quite a bit. He knows how to handle them.

I live in the northwestern part of Illinois and it's 95% farm country. Several years ago, just up the road from where I live, a donkey just sort of showed up like the two in your situation. Nobody had a clue where this donkey came from and the local area was polled very well to see if somebody had lost their donkey. No luck. So, he just sort of roams around at will from farm to farm. He shows up here once in a while and then somebody elses place. He hangs around not being a problem to anybody. He's pretty friendly and tame. Somebody hung the name "Bob" on him and that's what everybody calls him. He's treated by the vet when he needs it and is fed well by everybody. If it's stormy outside he surprises somebody by being in their barn when they go out to do chores. Bob is a nice addition to the local scene here. He's not a problem in any way and loved by all the neighbors and especially their kids.

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

OK, so a donkey and pony appeared in the neighborhood next to ours. Nobody knows who they belong to. Funny thing is, there are no "real" farms nearby. There is a small 4 acre "horsefarm" nearby, but they don't belong to that farm.

Literally, one of the residents woke up last Monday morning, looked in his backyard, and there was a donkey and a pony!

WTF?!? Weird, huh?

The homeowners in the subdivision are keeping them in the fenced in retaining pond area until they can figure out what to do with them. Neighborhood kids are loving it. We've been over twice now to feed them carrots, and they are VERY domesticated. You walk near the fence and they start rubbing up against it trying to entice you to pet them.

It's in a higher-end neighborhood too. Which is funny, all these yuppies not knowing what to do with two farm animals. LOL

Luckily there's an old guy who lives there....who used to own all of the land that the subdivision sits on (he sold it all for a tidy sum to a developer). He's a good 'ol boy, and has been around farm animals quite a bit. He knows how to handle them.

Wait...wait...start over...so a horse and a Democrat show up....

What cutie patooties. Do you have a fairgrounds nearby?

When I was a girl I was showing a pony at a fair...i don't remember if it was county or state...at any rate, either in the middle of Salem or Eugene. My pony, Pruny, knew how to open her stall door. It required lifting the latch AND rolling the heavy iron and plank door. Anyway, she escaped one day and we had to chase her all over the stupid carnival. Under the Octopus, next to the Sky Diver, behind the Scrambler....if we hadn't caught her there would have been some very surprised liberals in that neighborhood when the carnies moved on...

What cutie patooties. Do you have a fairgrounds nearby?

When I was a girl I was showing a pony at a fair...i don't remember if it was county or state...at any rate, either in the middle of Salem or Eugene. My pony, Pruny, knew how to open her stall door. It required lifting the latch AND rolling the heavy iron and plank door. Anyway, she escaped one day and we had to chase her all over the stupid carnival. Under the Octopus, next to the Sky Diver, behind the Scrambler....if we hadn't caught her there would have been some very surprised liberals in that neighborhood when the carnies moved on...

Nope, no fairgrounds nearby.

It's a mystery.

One of the cooler threads here in a long time.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone came through and quietly dropped them off in the middle of the night because they couldn't take care of them.

It's more likely they got out of a pen and wandered up a ditch, river, gulley.

I had a horse that was staying at someone's place once. He used to turn off the electric fence and he did that and she got out. She disappeared. We didn't see her for weeks...we checked the nearby houses...I went one way and the person who owned the pasture went the other.

But he missed a house, about 6 or 7 miles away....and that's where she was.

Forum List

Back