The Donald Trump Show or the Fourth GOP Primary Debate Sponsored by FOX/WSJ

Martin Eden Mercury

VIP Member
Nov 2, 2015
Will the take away lines of tonight's debate be about the faces of candidates, the low energy of candidates, poll numbers, the ratings boosts on failing media and comedy shows, weird pyramids theories, strange religious beliefs, fibs in books or on resumes, lawsuits, or bankruptcies? These of course are issues outsider candidate, Donald Trump has brought to the table of GOP debates. Will the candidates whine and act like babies? In an interview about debate preparation this is what one of the night's moderators from FOX News, Neil Cavuto, has introduced into the run up to tonight's debate. To be fair and balanced regarding FOX, let's take a look at FOX's cosponsor of the debate, the WSJ. Granted the WSJ's editor with the British accent who will be co-hosting the debate is not responsible for the past sins of his media outlet during the 1990s. But it was his news organization, the WSJ, that fed and kept alive a story that the First Lady, Hillary Clinton, was responsible for the death of President Clinton's aide Vince Foster. No matter that the death was an obviously, tragic suicide, and that there was a suicide note. A fair and balanced approach to politics by the WSJ Editorial Page, demanded that people be told not to trust the Clintons. These are the self-proclaimed voices of objectivity in 21st century American politics, hiding behind the constitutional shield of 'the public's right to know.' Now allow me to be fair and balanced in my criticisms.

Last week a Democratic party spectacle billed as a forum, and not a debate, was sponsored by MSNBC. It was hosted Rachel Maddow who is a well known Democratic party supporter. Well known, not just because of her obvious on-air bias, but because she does not hide it. She admits to it. Numerous media mentioned what a bore the forum was. I'm sure it was a love fest. I say, so what? It was not billed as a debate. I personally had no interest in watching it. Why would I? I already know enough about the candidates. What interested me was the amount of the media wasted on this event. Adweek in particular mentioned an SNL skit in which an actor states “In case you’re wondering what a forum is it’s a debate no one watches.” The comedy skit in question was presented on the night before GOP candidate Donald Trump was to host SNL. Adweek also mentioned how the forum gave MSNBC a ratings boost. Ratings, Donald Trump, and predictable boredom. Beginning to see a pattern here.

Speaking of predictability, will the media be revisiting their now familiar role of the Looking Glass Dormouse, where after each debate they periodically wake up and shout nonsense like: Trump's saying "I'm up in the polls and I boost the ratings wherever I go, therefore I am relevant" is the same thing as saying "I'm relevant, because I'm up in the polls and wherever I go I boost ratings!" This type of nonsense is what passes for news reporting and analysis. I daresay, when the framers of the Constitution debated how important a free press were to a republic like ours, they did not have in mind a media like we have today.

Let's be honest and face some facts. Many viewers, maybe even more than half, are tuning in to the GOP debates in large numbers to watch the Donald Trump show. Which brings me to something Politico touched on: "The fourth Republican presidential debate will be Tuesday, Nov. 10, live from the Milwaukee Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The venue has a loaded history: On Oct. 14, 1912, candidate Teddy Roosevelt was shot in the chest by an assassin outside a Milwaukee hotel. Instead of heading to the hospital, he continued to the Milwaukee Auditorium (now the Milwaukee Theatre) to deliver a 90-minute campaign speech. In front of a horrified audience and with the bullet lodged in his rib, he pulled a bloodied 50-page speech with bullet holes in it from his coat pocket and declared, “It takes more than that to kill a bull moose.”"

One-hundred and three years later in place of Teddy Roosevelt, I wonder if Trump will enter the hallowed hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin( ironically the hometown of GOP dropout candidate Scott Walker), all bloodied from dropping polls numbers, and excited, and irritable from breathing in the fumes of Carson's popularity shouting “It takes more than that to kill a bull mouse!" I will be watching. Watching the Donald Trump Show.

Last edited:
3814-1446489654-0ffae1b357109eb2a80203a9a59840ef.jpg

“It takes more than that to kill a Bull Mouse!”
The Donald Trump Show or the Fourth GOP Primary Debate Sponsored by FOX/WSJ

Will the take away lines of tonight's debate be about the faces of candidates, the low energy of candidates, poll numbers, the ratings boosts on failing media and comedy shows, weird pyramids theories, strange religious beliefs, fibs in books or on resumes, lawsuits, or bankruptcies? These of course are issues outsider candidate, Donald Trump has brought to the table of GOP debates. Will the candidates whine and act like babies? In an interview about debate preparation this is what one of the night's moderators from FOX News, Neil Cavuto, has introduced into the run up to tonight's debate. To be fair and balanced regarding FOX, let's take a look at FOX's cosponsor of the debate, the WSJ. Granted the WSJ's editor with the British accent who will be co-hosting the debate is not responsible for the past sins of his media outlet during the 1990s. But it was his news organization, the WSJ, that fed and kept alive a story that the First Lady, Hillary Clinton, was responsible for the death of President Clinton's aide Vince Foster. No matter that the death was an obviously, tragic suicide, and that there was a suicide note. A fair and balanced approach to politics by the WSJ Editorial Page, demanded that people be told not to trust the Clintons. These are the self-proclaimed voices of objectivity in 21st century American politics, hiding behind the constitutional shield of 'the public's right to know.' Now allow me to be fair and balanced in my criticisms.

Last week a Democratic party spectacle billed as a forum, and not a debate, was sponsored by MSNBC. It was hosted Rachel Maddow who is a well known Democratic party supporter. Well known, not just because of her obvious on-air bias, but because she does not hide it. She admits to it. Numerous media mentioned what a bore the forum was. I'm sure it was a love fest. I say, so what? It was not billed as a debate. I personally had no interest in watching it. Why would I? I already know enough about the candidates. What interested me was the amount of the media wasted on this event. Adweek in particular mentioned an SNL skit in which an actor states “In case you’re wondering what a forum is it’s a debate no one watches.” The comedy skit in question was presented on the night before GOP candidate Donald Trump was to host SNL. Adweek also mentioned how the forum gave MSNBC a ratings boost. Ratings, Donald Trump, and predictable boredom. Beginning to see a pattern here.

Speaking of predictability, will the media be revisiting their now familiar role of the Looking Glass Dormouse, where after each debate they periodically wake up and shout nonsense like: Trump's saying "I'm up in the polls and I boost the ratings wherever I go, therefore I am relevant" is the same thing as saying "I'm relevant, because I'm up in the polls and wherever I go I boost ratings!" This type of nonsense is what passes for news reporting and analysis. I daresay, when the framers of the Constitution debated how important a free press were to a republic like ours, they did not have in mind a media like we have today.

Let's be honest and face some facts. Many viewers, maybe even more than half, are tuning in to the GOP debates in large numbers to watch the Donald Trump show. Which brings me to something Politico touched on: "The fourth Republican presidential debate will be Tuesday, Nov. 10, live from the Milwaukee Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The venue has a loaded history: On Oct. 14, 1912, candidate Teddy Roosevelt was shot in the chest by an assassin outside a Milwaukee hotel. Instead of heading to the hospital, he continued to the Milwaukee Auditorium (now the Milwaukee Theatre) to deliver a 90-minute campaign speech. In front of a horrified audience and with the bullet lodged in his rib, he pulled a bloodied 50-page speech with bullet holes in it from his coat pocket and declared, “It takes more than that to kill a bull moose.”"

One-hundred and three years later in place of Teddy Roosevelt, I wonder if Trump will enter the hallowed hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin( ironically the hometown of GOP dropout candidate Scott Walker), all bloodied from dropping polls numbers, and excited, and irritable from breathing in the fumes of Carson's popularity shouting “It takes more than that to kill a bull mouse!" I will be watching. Watching the Donald Trump Show.

to be continued

Martin Eden "Mem" Mercury

an invite for you to Follow Mem on Twitter. You can also e-mail me at [email protected]

Yo, enjoy a real debate for the first time, take a look at the questions? Not a Hillary Clinton softball questions!!!

"GTP"
131025114405-14-sarah-palin-1025-horizontal-large-gallery (1).jpg

Your prediction missed the mark. The Fox/WSJ debate dealt with issues.

Your apparent bias does not confirm the claims in your November 2 Introduction.

That is all.

I wonder what you asaratis think was predicted that did not come to pass? The predictability of the media?
This independent voice is not proposing voting for or against any particular candidate based on their party affiliation alone. Candidates who do form their own message deserve attention and close scrutiny. I hope to stay true to judging candidates on their own individual message, if indeed they offer up one.

I wonder what you asaratis think was predicted that did not come to pass? The predictability of the media?
This independent voice is not proposing voting for or against any particular candidate based on their party affiliation alone. Candidates who do form their own message deserve attention and close scrutiny. I hope to stay true to judging candidates on their own individual message, if indeed they offer up one.
You apparently predicted the same sort of moderator-instigated in-fighting among the candidates rather than probing questions about what the candidates proposed to fix the economy and other issues. Rather than the CNBC style of stirring the tabloid nerves of a Jerry Springer Show fan, FOX/WSJ kept for the most part to the issues that voters want to hear about. It was a class act.

Your opening denigration of WSJ for its prolonged attention to Hillary's criminal activity--(Foster's 'suicide' has not been established beyond all doubt. I'm operating from memory now, but I do recall that there wasn't a significant volume of his blood found with the body. This would indicate that he was killed somewhere else and dumped where he was found...by someone else.)--leads me to wonder if you might be a shill for the Democrats and Hillary...and that your above quote extracted from your Intro Thread of Nov 2 is pure camouflage...or should I say, sheep's clothing?

...and then, your ending words in one of your op-ed entries nails it:

something like "...good for the the Democrats, Hillary and the Nation."

Again, I'm operating on memory rather than research, but I think you get the picture.

On edit:
Here is what you actually wrote.

Mem said:
...the Democratic nomination is Hillary's to lose. In the long run I do not believe this would be a good thing for either the Democratic party, Hillary, or the nation.
The implication is still that what's good for the Democratic party and Hillary is good for the nation. Sorry, Charlie! No cigar for you! The party of Democrats is ruining this nation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back