The Do Nothing Congress

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
It's called a philly buster. It was decried by the Republicans when they had the majority. It is now part of their religious belief that they are a minority. If you want to know why so little is being done, look in your own back yard.

Representative David R. Obey, the Wisconsin Democrat who recently sponsored a war spending bill that died after failing to get 60 votes in the Senate, said a lack of familiarity with filibuster rules was the cause of the biggest misunderstanding Americans have about the Democratic Congress.

“They think we have control of the Senate while we merely have custody,” he said, alluding to the party’s 51-49 majority. “They think that we can control the Senate when in fact we are nine votes short of having the 60 votes that you need to actually run the Senate. So the Senate is a choke point on everything.”

And a choke point it is.

Mr. Obey’s spending bill, providing $50 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan but also setting a deadline for redeployment from Iraq, was approved by the House 218 to 203. But only 53 senators voted to close debate, killing the bill.

72 times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/w...Reference/Times Topics/Organizations/S/Senate

I don't recall blaming the whole Right Wing in my statement, Del.:eusa_liar:

I blamed the Republicans who are fillibustering. That's not the whole fucking Right. Only the assholes who are elected and playing these games.

Please stick with you sandwitches, .:lol: I would like to add: asshole, but I won't.

Last edited:
I don't recall blaming the whole Right Wing in my statement, Del.:eusa_liar:

I blamed the Republicans who are fillibustering. That's not the whole fucking Right. Only the assholes who are elected and playing these games.

Please stick with you sandwitches.:lol:

do you get dizzy when you spin this hard?

The do nothing congress eh ?

You mean the one that came up with a petition to slander a private citizen based on something they knew was not true ? Or the one that comes up with resolutions condemning something that happened several decades ago ?

It's called a philly buster. It was decried by the Republicans when they had the majority. It is now part of their religious belief that they are a minority. If you want to know why so little is being done, look in your own back yard.
72 times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/w...Reference/Times Topics/Organizations/S/Senate

The Huffington Post & Thom Hartman both have great op ed pieces where they describe the gop's plan to block all progress for the last 1.5 yrs so they could say the dems did nothing. If they are capable of that, why would anyone put it past them to create this crisis? They even have the balls to blame it on the dems. And you see some people believe it. Fortunately only 44 percent believe.

Do you think they REALLY believe that or do they realize deregulations went too far. I think they truly know they are fos.

One other thing. Why isn't anyone saying the $10 bill a month spending in iraq is responisble for the mess we are in. It's causing inflation, which hurts consumer confidence, which hurts employment, etc.

And the gop, for some reason, don't want iraq oil paying for reconstruction. Maybe because then that would mean less for the oil companies. So we keep paying. How many yrs now? 6?

And Mccain wants to stay, obama wants to get out. No brainer. Get the fuck out! At least financially.

72 times.

And yet the SAME was true with the Republicans they NEVER had close to 60 votes and even lost the Senate for 2 years under Bush. GO figure.

If your honest and not a partisan, go back and check how many times the Dems filibustered in the 6 years that the right owned everything.

Whenever they tried, the right would scream for an "up and down vote" then. Now they don't like that anymore.

Only assholes blame the whole group for what a few assholes do, or at least that's what some asshole told me.

Employing a method known as "catch and release," DeLay allowed centrist or moderately conservative Republicans to take turns voting against controversial bills. If a representative said that a bill was unpopular in his district, then DeLay would ask him to vote for it only if his vote were necessary for passage; if his vote were not needed, then the representative would be able to vote against the party without reprisal.[citation needed]

So Del, as far as the GOP run Government from 2000-2006, I blame the ENTIRE GROUP for what's going on today. They set us up for this crash with all their free market deregulations, and you know it.

If your honest and not a partisan, go back and check how many times the Dems filibustered in the 6 years that the right owned everything.

Whenever they tried, the right would scream for an "up and down vote" then. Now they don't like that anymore.

it looks like the dems filibustered just as many times as the reps on average. the latest stats i could find were from a year ago, but it seems to project out to about the same.

Statistics on Cloture Motions - 93rd-110th Congresses - Learning About Filibuster

edit- didn't notice your 72 times. still, close enough for govt work

Last edited:

72 times.

Funny how the blade cuts both ways. The Dems were saying the Repubs controlled Congress if they wanted to regulate Fannie and Freddie, why didn't they do it.

As you so colloquially say:
It's called a philly buster.

And, boom, hoist on your on petard.

Later Rayboy

I love the filibuster. If you have more than 40 senators in such violent opposition to anything that they're willing to filibuster, then get your fucking ass to work on a compromise.

Bullshit excuses. It figures you would post this.

72 times.

Congress being able to do NOTHING except with real broad consensus is always a GOOD thing, regardless of which party is in majority. All government does is make a mess of things, so the less it can get done the better for the people

Come on now, Ray.

Do you honestly expect this crowd to look back to history to help them understand today?

That's what FOX NEWS is for, man.

You either understand that, OR WELL, you don't

Bite yourself. Might help your dispostion.:razz:

My point, which you chose to ignore, is that righties here and in general keep saying the new Dem control isn't doing anything since they took marginal control. No shit. When they try they get stopped with the fillibuster by the right and they don't have the 60 votes to beat it.

Look back when the right was in charge. All you heard was up and down vote. Now that they aren't in control, that doesn't play so well with them.

I pointed to their current hypocrisy and the bullshit of saying the Dems aren't doing anything right now.

I wish the Dem leaders had the balls to just let them go ahead an fillibuster every time. Then the American people could see who is currently the real obstructionists.

But fuck it all. When Obama wins and we get a real majority, hopefully they will do the right thing and start working to undo all the shit that Bush has brought US.

Bite yourself. Might help your dispostion.:razz:

My point, which you chose to ignore, is that righties here and in general keep saying the new Dem control isn't doing anything since they took marginal control. No shit. When they try they get stopped with the fillibuster by the right and they don't have the 60 votes to beat it.

Look back when the right was in charge. All you heard was up and down vote. Now that they aren't in control, that doesn't play so well with them.

I pointed to their current hypocrisy and the bullshit of saying the Dems aren't doing anything right now.

I wish the Dem leaders had the balls to just let them go ahead an fillibuster every time. Then the American people could see who is currently the real obstructionists.

But fuck it all. When Obama wins and we get a real majority, hopefully they will do the right thing and start working to undo all the shit that Bush has brought US.

reality called. they said to get in touch.

if you had bothered to look at the link, you'd see that the amount of fillibusters that the reps used in the current congress, is about the same as the past 4 or 5 congresses, when the dems were in the minority.

the reps squealed for up or down votes, and now the dems say they can't do anything because of the reps.

do i have to draw you a fucking picture?

they're ALL full of shit , and they play you partisan bozos off each other like yo-yo ma on a stradivarius cello.

dope.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back