The 'Diversity' Movement: Defeating Itself, Destroying Society

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
The 'Diversity' Movement: Defeating Itself, Destroying Society​

By Jay Haug
January 20, 2013

As America vaults itself into a period of accelerated change in areas of culture, politics, religion (or lack thereof), marriage, health care, and a whole host of other arenas, the term we hear more and more from government, higher education, and business is the word "diversity." The purveyors of the diversity movement ask us to embrace the concept as a worthy goal and an important part of America's future. Should we join them?

We appear to be on the cusp of a different America. The recent election proclaimed loudly and clearly that the non-white portion of the nation is growing and will continue to grow. Moreover, several states via referendum embraced gay marriage, driven by an emerging acceptance among younger people. On subject after subject, liberal pundits tell us that change is here and that only backward-looking Republicans and fundamentalist Christians could possibly oppose it.

But in an environment of accelerating change, we should remember that there is a downside to everything. Getting married means commitment. Landing a job means giving up other possibilities. Playing one sport means not playing others. Keeping life insurance means paying the premiums. So what is the downside to the "diversity" agenda"? Since all change involves giving up one thing in order to embrace something else, what are we giving up?

Apparently a lot. In a large study of nearly 30,000 people across the country, Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam, author of Bowling Alone, has shown some highly negative results from "diversity."

Michael Jonas, in an article called "The Downside of Diversity," published in Boston.com in 2007, encapsulated Putnam's research as follows:

[T]he greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogeneous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.​

But the diversity-peddlers rarely tell us about any downside. In the case of gay marriage, is it just a net addition with no subtraction, no negative? Is it, as some would say, "all good"? Is this all about reactionaries keeping others from "people they love"? Or could the issues be real and substantive?

This past week, the Obama administration has disinvited a pastor, Louie Giglio, from speaking at the upcoming inauguration. Why? Because Giglio was discovered to have given an "anti-gay" sermon, and, as the administration puts it, his words "don't reflect our desire to celebrate the strength and diversity of our country at this Inaugural." Have we come to the place in our country where one must toe the line or not be allowed to speak? By focusing on outward differences in college admissions, are we simply doing the easy work, instead of promoting diversity of background, income, and intellectual perspective? Are we sufficiently protecting freedom of speech and freedom of religion in the face of the diversity agenda?

The truth is that the diversity movement has problems, and those who tout it must acknowledge them now -- before this invented concept makes us all less free, less honest, and less educated.

Here are a few reality checks for the age of diversity. It is time to ask: after all the diversity initiatives, what have been the results?

1.College campuses are less tolerant than ever before.

One result is that real debate and dialog suffer. The Atlantic's Wendy Kaminer explains why.

One of the ironies of this drive for civility ... [is that] you end up encouraging incivility, because people don't know how to argue. They don't know what to do when confronted with an idea they really don't like. They don't have an administrator they go complain to, and so they just shout it down because they haven't learned how to do anything else.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Articles: The 'Diversity' Movement: Defeating Itself, Destroying Society

Before we were just all "Americans"....

you have to tear up a culture first before it can be remolded......"diversity" is one of those tools the Left has used to help tear it up....

Diversity is actually a back handed method to exclude.
Liberals invented the concept of "diversity" as a means to place people into groups then pit those groups against each other.
Diversity( as liberals define it) demonstrates the closed mindedness and intolerance of liberals.
I have read where some have referred to diversity as the new affirmative action. Instead of racial quotas and set asides, there are now a myriad of groups who have heard the dinner bell calling them to the table of privilege and entitlement. Meanwhile, liberals continue to play the old song of "Caucasian = advantage"..What horseshit.
Advantage? Ok, someone explain to me where all those advantages might be located. I haven't seen them.
I am sick and tired of liberals, especially white upper class and wealthy self hating guilty of their own successes telling me I have to think like a card carrying liberal.
The only weapon liberalism has is the specter of criticism.
I no longer care what label liberals place upon me. It matters not whether I can prove beyond the proverbial shadow of a doubt I am not guilty of what liberals criticize, the liberal will continue to repeat their allegations. SO be it. Go right ahead.
GOP politicians should realize that democrats and the liberal MSM are going to do what they do and say what they are going to say without regard to the existence of facts to the contrary.

The GOP is angry their vision of a "Fascist" nation has been twarted. They want armed guards with NRA credentials "watching" all children. They want every pregnant woman "monitored". They want white "American style" Christian extremists in control of every phase of government. They want a permanent redistribution of wealth to the top 1%. They want an end to education as we know it replaced with a weird Bible based history and a ban on many areas of science. How do I know? They tell us. I couldn't make up this stuff. It wouldn't occur to me.

The frustrating thing about this article is that it doesn't support it's conclusion with carefully argued premises. It offers zero statistics RE the failure of the diversity movement on campus. It claims that there is more screaming between groups along with an inability to argue, but it doesn't tie this stuff to any theories, nor does it show causality between the diversity movement and the troublesome outcome at universities.

It's actually kind of sad because it implies that consumers of rightwing news do not require things like evidence and proof. This means that the peddlers of this kind of garbage can say whatever ideological garbage suits their causes.

The OP is encouraged to check out this book called:

The Trouble with Diversity

It makes the argument that diversity fails when you don't focus on socioeconomic factors. It argues, quite carefully, that the diversity crowd doesn't understand what really binds people. Again it makes careful arguments as opposed to just spewing conservative platitudes to the already converted.

The OP would also do well to research Hitler's problem with diversity. Hitler believed that external groups were corrupting the Real Germany. Hitler was worried that the boarders, Language and Culture of the Real Germany were being eroded by Liberal tolerance for Jews and other non-Germans.

The OP should study history so he can learn about some of the famous diversity battles.

The OP gets too much information from Government (i.e., Republican Media Sources).

Last edited:
The GOP is angry their vision of a "Fascist" nation has been twarted. They want armed guards with NRA credentials "watching" all children. They want every pregnant woman "monitored". They want white "American style" Christian extremists in control of every phase of government. They want a permanent redistribution of wealth to the top 1%. They want an end to education as we know it replaced with a weird Bible based history and a ban on many areas of science. How do I know? They tell us. I couldn't make up this stuff. It wouldn't occur to me.

Right winger threads prove these points over and over again.

Liberals invented the concept of "diversity" as a means to place people into groups then pit those groups against each other.
Diversity( as liberals define it) demonstrates the closed mindedness and intolerance of liberals.
I have read where some have referred to diversity as the new affirmative action. Instead of racial quotas and set asides, there are now a myriad of groups who have heard the dinner bell calling them to the table of privilege and entitlement. Meanwhile, liberals continue to play the old song of "Caucasian = advantage"..What horseshit.
Advantage? Ok, someone explain to me where all those advantages might be located. I haven't seen them.
I am sick and tired of liberals, especially white upper class and wealthy self hating guilty of their own successes telling me I have to think like a card carrying liberal.
I no longer care what label liberals place upon me. It matters not whether I can prove beyond the proverbial shadow of a doubt I am not guilty of what liberals criticize, the liberal will continue to repeat their allegations. SO be it. Go right ahead.
GOP politicians should realize that democrats and the liberal MSM are going to do what they do and say what they are going to say without regard to the existence of facts to the contrary.

Wow, what a "treatise"! :lol: Diverse in this instance means a variety and inclusion into the greater society regardless of race, color, creed, or political affiliation.

Their idea of diversity is to arrange the world in a pattern. That is why some children are now being bussed a ways from their homes just so there can be an even number of races in the schools. Never mind that parents moved to communities because they wanted their children in certain schools. The libs know best and they are more concerned with color balance than what families want. It's a cruel thing to do.

It's great for people who migrate from other countries to keep their own traditions alive, but it is nearly impossible to combine cultures.

When people come to America, you'd think they'd want to fit in and not change it to be like the place they came from.

Right winger threads prove these points over and over again.

Posting to yourself again...

Amen!

Wow, what a "treatise"! :lol: Diverse in this instance means a variety and inclusion into the greater society regardless of race, color, creed, or political affiliation.

Well that's the happy feel good definition. I gave the real world definition.
Your response is circling the wagons around the liberal ideology each time the light truth shines upon it.
The fact is the concept of diversity as liberals use it is a shut down of all ideas not liberal.
There is NO inclusion of non liberal speech or thought.
So please, do not flatter yourself with these platitudes about inclusion.
Definition of TREATISE

: a systematic exposition or argument in writing including a methodical discussion of the facts and principles involved and conclusions reached

Thanks for the compliment!

Before we were just all "Americans"....

you have to tear up a culture first before it can be remolded......"diversity" is one of those tools the Left has used to help tear it up....

LOL, when was that "before"? :lol:

Before the liberal ideology decided to hyphenate groups so that those groups could then be labeled and placed in neat little packages. So that these groups could then be eligible for the government offerings of free goodies. Before liberals realized they needed to pander to certain people in order to offer them things via government and ask for their votes in return.
This is how Obama won reelection. Just enough people bought into the idea that Obama was going to give them something.
Before all of this crap we were all just "Americans".

Republicans think "diversity" is some rednecks having four teeth and others having two.

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back