The diiference between God and Buddha

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Those who follow God's teachings do not become God. Those who follow the Buddha's path may become buddhas.

• Banned
That's correct. Buddha is not a creator god. There are no creation myths in Buddhism.

Those who follow God's teachings do not become God. Those who follow the Buddha's path may become buddhas.

When I saw the title, I was hoping for a little more humor. Or some vast reasoning that actually did a good comparison.

Those that follow gods teachings get to go to heaven. buddist get reincarnated.

You wanna go through life again or you wanna go to heaven? :lol:

To me, a more apt comparison would be Buddha and Jesus and even then, it's not very good a comparison.

While I am not Buddhist, I understand that the Buddha was a normal man...Prince Siddhartha Gautama who, after many years, became enlightened as to how people can end suffering. Much of what he believed is similar to the Judeo-Christian 10 Commandments but he gives a path to ending that suffering, The 8 Fold Path while the 10 Commandments just say "don't do this".

When I saw the title, I was hoping for a little more humor. Or some vast reasoning that actually did a good comparison.

You may have been generalizing, and I'm not sure what you believe. However, just in case you may think that we in ourselves have to be perfect to get to heaven, (or we have to be good) I want to say, no, that is not true - in fact, it is impossible. Because man "falls short" - we all sin.

I would like to share a link about Jesus Christ, Whom says He is the Only Way, the Truth, and the Life. This is the "Romans Road". This, is very important if you haven't seen it before.

What is the Romans Road to salvation?
The first verse on the Romans Road to salvation is Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." We have all sinned. We have all done things that are displeasing to God. There is no one who is innocent. Romans 3:10-18 gives a detailed picture of what sin looks like in our lives. The second Scripture on the Romans Road to salvation, Romans 6:23, teaches us about the consequences of sin - "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." The punishment that we have earned for our sins is death. Not just physical death, but eternal death!

The third verse on the Romans Road to salvation picks up where Romans 6:23 left off, "but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 5:8 declares, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Jesus Christ died for us! Jesus' death paid for the price of our sins. Jesus' resurrection proves that God accepted Jesus' death as the payment for our sins.
And share a verse...
Romans 10:19 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

And only God knows when we believe in our heart. When we do, He begins the "good work", not ourselves, as His Loving Spirit leads us to "want" to follow Him. It's all about love. We still get convicted of sin though.

Given a choice between a commie monarchy (heaven) and a redo, I will stick with reincarnation.

To me, a more apt comparison would be Buddha and Jesus and even then, it's not very good a comparison.

While I am not Buddhist, I understand that the Buddha was a normal man...Prince Siddhartha Gautama who, after many years, became enlightened as to how people can end suffering. Much of what he believed is similar to the Judeo-Christian 10 Commandments but he gives a path to ending that suffering, The 8 Fold Path while the 10 Commandments just say "don't do this".

For a non-buddhist, you understand the Buddha's teachings more than anyone else on this thread.

Buddha is a Sanskrit term which means 'awakened'. In Tibetan, the word for Buddha is Sang Gyay, which is translated to mean 'to clear away and to unfold'.

Buddha is not God.

Buddhists do not aspire to be reborn in heaven realms. We aspire to be reborn as humans. It is unique to the human realm that we become enlightened.

I don't want to go to heaven at all. I want to be enlightened in order to benefit sentient beings.

Given a choice between a commie monarchy (heaven) and a redo, I will stick with reincarnation.

I don't know how heaven was describbed to you. But a do over can be anything. It's not you trying to do your life better this time. Your next time around could be Oprah like, Saddam like, or an abused child, anything.

Buddha never murdered millions of innocent people and animals ?
Were not the Japanese soldiers during WWII who murdered millions mainly Buddhists?

I don't know. I think they were mainly Shinto, not Buddhists. Why don't you research that for us?

Kamikaze pilots are unlikely to have been Buddhists. Suicide is against the Buddha's teachings and so is killing in war.

That said, I do know the Tibetans fought the Chinese back. It is the Dalai Lama's opinion that this non-virtue is what led to the fall of Tibet.

I don't want to go to heaven at all. I want to be enlightened in order to benefit sentient beings.

ok

You are aware that living life the way god says to does the exact same thing? Plus you get to go to heaven.

I don't know how heaven was describbed to you. But a do over can be anything. It's not you trying to do your life better this time. Your next time around could be Oprah like, Saddam like, or an abused child, anything.

That's correct. According to the Buddha's teachings, one cycles through samsaric existence until becoming enlightened. Rebirth can be in any of six realms, including hell realms, heaven realms, human realms, animal realms and hungry ghost or preta realms. All six realms of existence are considered impermanent.

There is no permanent heaven or hell in Buddhism.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back