The Difference Between Teleprompters and Notes?

Reading a teleprompter, at least to my understanding, is basically just a more high-tech way of reading something word for word. In my speech classes in high school and college, the people who read word-for-word off a piece of paper, whether they wrote it or not, were a whole lot less convincing with their "speech" than those who wrote some notes or an outline on an index card and knew what they were talking about.

If you need to read something word-for-word, it gives the impression that you don't know the material and thus can't speak intelligibly about it without that assistance. Or, if not that, it gives the impression that you're reading someone else's words/thoughts.

So, i guess i would prefer someone only used notes. To me, it makes it more believable and convincing.

Not necessarily. How the crutch - excuse me, memory aid - is used depends on the speaker's skill with it. A skilled speaker using a prompter may only skim over it and speak extemporaneously around it. It's just a real time paperless version of notes. An unskilled speaker no matter how many or few notes will be so painful to listen to AND watch looking down and shuffling paper around you'd wish he didn't have them. There really is no difference, the speaker still has to know his business to be effective.

That is so well said - and it cuts to the chase about those who are so critical of teleprompters.

Man I see people hammering sara palin again and this time its becuase she had notes on her hand when giving a speech(interview) the other night.

I dont get the beef with her writing a few reminders on her hand....i mean sure a piece of paper would have been better IMO but whats the big deal? Don't speakers, such as our current president, use teleprompters?

Whats the difference. Why hammer on some handwritten notes but give a pass on teleprompters? Is it your partisan sides showing up?

Me personally...i couldn't give a shit if palin/obama memorized, uses handwritten notes, uses a teleprompter, or a combination of them.....then again i dont suffer ODS or PDS.

A teleprompter is used to deliver a speech and has been an accepted way to give a speech for some time. Jotting notes in your hand for a Q&A is cheating.

I am sure that Fox does not use teleprompters, nor does Rush read from notes.

Well not totally sure.

But I am glad that some agree that using a prompter is dishonest.

;)
The President uses a teleprompter and mispronounces "corpsman" (as if the media wasn't a press corps), and it's ignored.

Palin refers to a few words written on her hand as a reminder and otherwise speaks off the cuff it offends some in "media".

It must hit a sensitive nerve. (not you USC)

Ignored!!! It was all over the web!!! All the wingnuts were blogging about it. It was in the MSM! What other media is there???

Man I see people hammering sara palin again and this time its becuase she had notes on her hand when giving a speech(interview) the other night.

I dont get the beef with her writing a few reminders on her hand....i mean sure a piece of paper would have been better IMO but whats the big deal? Don't speakers, such as our current president, use teleprompters?

Whats the difference. Why hammer on some handwritten notes but give a pass on teleprompters? Is it your partisan sides showing up?

Me personally...i couldn't give a shit if palin/obama memorized, uses handwritten notes, uses a teleprompter, or a combination of them.....then again i dont suffer ODS or PDS.

A teleprompter is used to deliver a speech and has been an accepted way to give a speech for some time. Jotting notes in your hand for a Q&A is cheating.

Thats your opinion.

Would the notes being on a piece of paper have been any different in your eyes?

presidents have always read their speeches. The teleprompter is just a modern version of reading one's speech. The only one I can think of who could do a major speech extemporaneously was Bill Clinton who once did a 20 minute addition to the state of the union address off the top of his head.

maybe palin wouldn't be as noteworthy if the rightwingnuts hadn't spent the last year whining about the teleprompter?

Or maybe the idea of crib notes on one's hand sounds juvenile in a junior high school way and just fits with her entire being.

Last edited:

presidents have always read their speeches. The teleprompter is just a modern version of reading one's speech. The only one I can think of who could do a major speech extemporaneously was Bill Clinton who once did a 20 minute addition to the state of the union address off the top of his head.

maybe palin wouldn't be as noteworthy if the rightwingnuts hadn't spent the last year whining about the teleprompter?

Or maybe the idea of crib notes on one's hand sounds juvenile in a junior high school way and just fits with her entire being.

Or maybe the people mocking her are as moronic as all those mocking the president.

Or maybe those defending the president but mocking her or defending her and mocking the president are hypocrites.

I think if you can't tell the difference from a reminder on one's hand and teleprompter usage at nearly every public speaking appearance you may not be intelligent enough to participate in the political process.

I am sure that Fox does not use teleprompters, nor does Rush read from notes.

Well not totally sure.

But I am glad that some agree that using a prompter is dishonest.

;)
The President uses a teleprompter and mispronounces "corpsman" (as if the media wasn't a press corps), and it's ignored.

Palin refers to a few words written on her hand as a reminder and otherwise speaks off the cuff it offends some in "media".

It must hit a sensitive nerve. (not you USC)

They're on a full-scale publicity tour for Obama. Making the his lying ass seem better then he really is.

They want us to totally forget that he never took questions from the press and that he's an arrogant ass...and they want us to forget about how laughable his teleprompter use is.

Or maybe the people mocking her are as moronic as all those mocking the president.

Or maybe those defending the president but mocking her or defending her and mocking the president are hypocrites.

What he said! :clap2:

Those who are only interested in hating on one or the other will ignore what I said goldcatt. It makes them look silly ;).

"those defending the president but mocking her or defending her and mocking the president are hypocrites"

Of course most speakers use notes and telepromters; Palin is different. She and Limbaugh both have been very critical of President Obama for his use of the telepromter, making both Limbaugh and Palin disgusting hypocrites.

Those who are only interested in hating on one or the other will ignore what I said goldcatt. It makes them look silly ;).

"those defending the president but mocking her or defending her and mocking the president are hypocrites"

It IS silly. It would be funny if it were just a little bit of poking fun, but some people are really serious. That's way past the bend on the road to loonyville.

True to a degree.

But I know when attorneys argue before the court, they have notes. They have their papers. And for opening/closing statements, often have their statements written out in advance.

How would you feel about an attorney representing you with crib notes on their hand? It would tell me they were unprofessional. And if it were someone who worked for me, they would no longer be working for me.

:gives:

Snore.
Next story please!

Hey thanks for keeping the topic active :clap2: :razz:

Just doin' my part is all. :cool:

Seriously, she wrote a few notes on her hand. Big friggin' deal. I saw the clip on the news last night and thought ... here we go! The lefties and MSM are going to have a field day with this! Again ... snore.

No disrespect towards you PLYMCO_PILGRIM. I always enjoy your threads.

Totally ass-backwards from the truth.

Libs want to tell us black is white and white is black.

A teleprompter is what a news anchor, a talking-head so to speak, uses to sound like they know what they're talking about. Ever see Network News?

If you ever took television production in college you would understand that a teleprompter is cheating.

Palins next book. "Teleprompters for Dummies"

An easy target....but not based in reality.

But what else is new.

Takes a pro to read notes to keep your train of thought and not appear like you're reading.

Speech 101 dude.

It takes a mindless former Miss America like Gretta Carlson to read from a teleprompter.

Forum List

Back