The Difference Between Liberals and Conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sundial, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Sundial

Sundial Class Warrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    From an experiment performed by some social scientists in 2001.

I believe I do know more about conservatives than they know about liberals. Here are three elemental principles, or fundamental beliefs, of conservatives:

• Our economic system is fundamentally fair. It rewards hard work and initiative, and punishes laziness and ineptitude. Rich people deserve to be rich, and poor people deserve to be poor.
    • The government is fundamentally bad. First because it disrupts the natural outcomes of the free market, and second because it lacks free market discipline, and is therefore inefficient and corrupt.
    • When the government disrupts the natural outcomes of the market, it disincentivizes hard work and initiative, and creates a "free ride" mentality among the people.

There are more, of course, but these are three that more or less unite conservatives. (Others divide them.)

My predictions are these: 1.) That the majority-conservatives on this board may nit-pick, but they'll agree that these are three fundamental beliefs of the conservative movement; and 2.) that few, if any, of the conservatives on this board will be able to articulate liberal principles in a way that liberals themselves will agree to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Kuros

Kuros BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    (1) Fairness

(2) Harm-reduction

John Haidt

The rest are details.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Most the self proclaiming conservative hereabouts are NOT remotely in tune with liberal thinking.

But then many of the self proclaiming lovers of conservatism here are not truly interested in discussing the issues so much as they take pleasure in being rude to people.

Few of them would last long in a FTF discussion, I suspect.

Or if they did their tone would get a LOT more respctful.

4. Sundial

Sundial Class Warrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I think you need more elaboration than that. Are conservatives against "fairness" and "harm-reduction"?

5. Sundial

Sundial Class Warrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    What's strikes me about conservatives on this board - not all, but many of them - is how angry they are, how quick they are to resort to personal attacks, and how often what they have to say seems to be little more than regurgitation from Rush/Beck/Drudge, etc.

6. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,892

7. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    Progressives are stupid or nefarious?

8. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931
    the biggest and most profound difference between libbs and conservatives is personal responsibility!!conservatives believe the individual is responsible for his or her actions and success in life while libbs believe outside governing forces are responsible for actions and success !!hence the reason libbs fight for abortion rights....children are a big responsibility which is something anathema to the liberal mind set!! there are many many more examples to prove this to be fact!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931
    talk about partisanship!!!:cuckoo:

10. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Nothing, they both love spending more than we have on social stuff and they both like killing people in the Middle East. Progressive Liberals are the same as Neocons, prove me wrong.

Where are Democrats and Obama’s polices different from that or the Republican congress before them and Bush? Oh I know, they expanded most of the Bush ear polices…