The Difference Between Extremist and Moderate Terrorist Is What?

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Annie, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That's what is the choice Israel faces with Hamas and Fatah:

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/26041.html#

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    from Israel's perspective, there is really very little difference between Fatah and Hamas.... both really want the destruction of Israel, although Fatah has officially dropped that goal from their charter. One is an arab nationalist organization, the other is an islamic extremist organization.

From our perspective, there is a large difference. To America, the difference between, say, the Iraqi Ba'ath party and Al Qaeda is that the latter wants to fly planes into our buildings punishing us for our support of Israel and the corrupt gulf states monarchies, and the former could care less.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Where did Fatah/PLO drop that from their charter? I missed that. I agree about Hamas, the simple funding by Iran makes them more dangerous to the "Big Satan". Then again, I don't forget until 9/11, Hizbollah had been our biggest threat regarding terrorism, also Iranian funded.

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    In his letter of September 9, 1993 to Prime Minister Rabin, Fatah leader and PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat stated:

"In view of the promise of a new era and the signing of the Declaration of Principles and based on Palestinian acceptance of Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338, the PLO affirms that those articles of the Palestinian Covenant which deny Israel's right to exist, and the provisions of the Covenant which are inconsistent with the commitments of this letter are now inoperative and no longer valid. Consequently, the PLO undertakes to submit to the Palestinian National Council for formal approval the necessary changes in regard to the Palestinian Covenant."

Though changes in the charter were ratified by PLO governing bodies, the original charter is still displayed by the Palestine legation to the UN and other Palestinian bodies. The commitment to nullify the offending provisions of the charter was restated by Arafat in a letter to US officials in 1998.

http://www.mideastweb.org/plocha.htm

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The bolded does bother me, would so even more if I lived in Israel. Isn't that sort of like 'we are adding an amendment' just not writing it down?

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I dunno.... I think that the PLO may realize that they will NEVER succeed in driving the Jews into the mediterranean and if they want to get on with it and get their folks out of refugee camps, they will need to settle for something less than everything.

In that vein, I think it might be a bit more like schools having a copy of the original Constitution on display and not posting the Bill of Rights or other amendments.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,442
    There's a big difference to Israel, too. Ultimately, Abbas knows that he has to deliver certain things to the palestinians or they're going to become even more radicalized. (He also might want to do something about the terrorist mickey mouse, but that's for another thread). He also now has a reason to take a different road since that's the selling point for getting world support (and financial aid).

Fatah versus Hamas also has huge implications for the other Arab countries which, ultimately, is even more important than what the U.S. or Israel may or may not want. Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia... all rely on the fact that their countries AREN'T fundie in order for the ruling folk to maintain power. Their purse strings speak lounder than those of Hamas.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    good points

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,442
    Thanks! :cool:

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Like him or not, I think this is spot on, nearly all of our points are addressed:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../AR2007062101863.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns