The difference between Catholicism and Episcopalianism...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...can be understood with one example.

Two Sundays ago, our priest gave a homily where he told us that a poll was taken of Catholics that determined that 2/3 of Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation, the doctrine that the bread and wine of the Eucharist becomes the literal Body and Blood of Christ.

The Catholic priest, normally a mild-mannered fellow, was outraged that so many Catholics did not believe in a fundamental teaching of the Catholic faith.

Tonight, I talked to an Episcopalian priest. I asked him what the Eucharist meant to him. He told me he believes in transubstantiation, but that many laymen in his parish believe the Eucharist is only symbolic.

He told me he didn't care one way or another whether the people of his parish believed in transubstantiation.

And I think that clinched it for me.

I was briefly considering leaving the Catholic Church and going over to the Episcopalians.

But I can not, will not, go to a Church where the pastor of a parish does not give a damn whether or not his flock believes in one of the central truths of the Christian faith. To me, that is inexcusable apathy.

So you think you're actually eating some guy's body and drinking his actual blood?

I don't know about the Catholics and Episcopalians, but...

A Jew, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Agnostic, and an Atheist walk into a bar. After a brief discussion, inevitably a bar fight breaks out. The bartender shoots a shotgun in the air and everyone stops and stares at him. The bartender says, "I created the whole world in 7 days and now I gotta deal with this bullshit!"

Two Sundays ago, our priest gave a homily where he told us that a poll was taken of Catholics that determined that 2/3 of Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation, the doctrine that the bread and wine of the Eucharist becomes the literal Body and Blood of Christ.

The Catholic priest, normally a mild-mannered fellow, was outraged that so many Catholics did not believe in a fundamental teaching of the Catholic faith.

Tonight, I talked to an Episcopalian priest. I asked him what the Eucharist meant to him. He told me he believes in transubstantiation, but that many laymen in his parish believe the Eucharist is only symbolic.

He told me he didn't care one way or another whether the people of his parish believed in transubstantiation.

I was briefly considering leaving the Catholic Church and going over to the Episcopalians.

But I can not, will not, go to a Church where the pastor of a parish does not give a damn whether or not his flock believes in one of the central truths of the Christian faith. To me, that is inexcusable apathy.
During centuries mainstream Christianity accepted so many senseless things, that it is no wonder that some people who call themselves Christians are sceptical about some of them.

·
·
·​

I would have to disagree with calling transubstantiation “…one of the central truths of the Christian faith.” Outside of the Catholic church, and some near-Catholic faiths, I think the vast majority of Christian sects do not teach it, nor believe it. Most Christians, I think, understand it as symbolic rather than literal.

A wonderful idea. Do it.

But I can not,

Sigh.

will not, go to a Church where the pastor of a parish does not give a damn whether or not his flock believes in one of the central truths of the Christian faith. To me, that is inexcusable apathy.

He's totally right. He said very clear he believes in transsubstantiation. Most peole are not able to spell this word - and also don't know what it means. The situation is specially in Germany very obscure, because the most Protestants here are Lutherans. For Martin Luther was the teaching of the transsubstantiation very important. But most Lutherans today see in it "only" a symbol, because they don't know, what their own Lutheran belief is. And also most Catholics are not able to spell the word "transsubstantiation" nor have they a big idea about what it is. But never anyone of them would behave repectless to a consecrated bread.

And what about the idea to stop it to be more papal than the pope on his own? Frere Roger (Protestant) received for example the communion from Pope Benedict XVI. And both knew very well who they are on their own and who the other one is.

Last edited:

The Catholic Church died in the early 1970's during an era which I call "the Changeover". Vatican 2 went full steam ahead and that ended it for Catholics in the United States. The Changeover also was in political and secular totality as the Republic teetered on death and the Democracy was about to take full control. The movement from physical foundation to human foundation was completed. Quotas political correctness and affirmative action was enforced and then later moved to extremism and the final tie to the gold standard ended and it was all over. Social Security, medicare and pension payouts keep the near authoritarian government a big secret. God is now the swamp....

So you think you're actually eating some guy's body and drinking his actual blood?

Yep; cool hey!!

Greg
But you know that it's just a cracker and some wine. So you don't believe it.

Not at all. One must understand how God can do it; I can't so i just go with what Jesus said. It's what we call a mystery. It's about APPEARANCE V SUBSTANCE. Good luck with that. lol

Greg

Yep; cool hey!!

Greg
But you know that it's just a cracker and some wine. So you don't believe it.

Not at all. One must understand how God can do it; I can't so i just go with what Jesus said. It's what we call a mystery. It's about APPEARANCE V SUBSTANCE. Good luck with that. lol

Greg
So do you believe in Santa Claus as well?

Forum List

Back