The Devil's Rejects

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Wow, this was a pretty awesome movie. Obviously, if you're not into horror movies, you probably won't like this. And, don't be fooled into thinking this is going to be one of those super-fast cuts/scary kids jumping at the screen type "horror" movies. This is kind of an ode to those down-and-dirty horror movies of the 70s, the kind that didn't make you jump or anything, but had you squirming from the creepiness of it all (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, etc.). Make no mistake, this thing has some very gory and very sexually disturbing moments.

Even though it's sort of a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses, the tone is completely different. Whereas House ended with an underground monster named Dr. Satan, this one opens with a shootout at the Firefly house which leaves about ten people dead. In House of 1000 Corpses, there was always this kind of irony to everything that was going on, the sense that all the actors were trying to keep from laughing during every take. This is completely gone in the new one. Though there are some intentionally funny moments, the movie is, for the most part, as disturbing as they get.

Movies like these are really the only kind that scare me: movies about real things that I'm really scared of. I'm not scared of a doll that comes to life and hunts people or whatever, but the idea of a group of people who kill, torture, and rape people randomly for no reason other than their own amusement really disturbs me.

The movie has an amazing soundtrack, too, that consists of mostly southern rock. I never really thought I'd truly be able to ever get into "Free Bird" again, but it's really well-used in an important scene in the movie and it made me actually like the song again.

Don't get me wrong, if you're soured by movies that basically consist of nothing but depravity and murder, you'll never make it past the first 30 minutes of this one. But, if you can stomach it and are a fan of horror movies, I think you'll like this one.

Dan, give me one example of a gory scene, I am considering seeing it, and want to know if I can handle it or not. My tolerance is pretty high but like you the idea of people doing horrible things to others for fun is hard for me to take sometimes.. "Natural Born Killers" comes to mind

Dan, give me one example of a gory scene, I am considering seeing it, and want to know if I can handle it or not. My tolerance is pretty high but like you the idea of people doing horrible things to others for fun is hard for me to take sometimes.. "Natural Born Killers" comes to mind

Hmmm. There's nothing worse than NBK, but whereas NBK had all the camera and editing effects, this one's just... there. There's no cutting away or anything.

Umm, the creepiest scene for me was when Otis (the main killer) and his sister kidnap a couple in a hotel room. Otis more or less rapes the woman with his gun (fairly graphically) while the sister keeps saying "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these?" and laughing over and over again. It's mostly just creepy stuff like that. There's another scene where they tie up a woman and force her to wear a mask made out of her husband's face, which has just been sliced off (offscreen).

It honestly isn't any gorier than the average horror movie, but it's done in a very dark and mean-spirited way that makes it feel gorier. Kinda like the way the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had almost no gore at all and yet it has this reputation as being one of the most gruesome movies of all time.

Dan said:
Hmmm. There's nothing worse than NBK, but whereas NBK had all the camera and editing effects, this one's just... there. There's no cutting away or anything.

Umm, the creepiest scene for me was when Otis (the main killer) and his sister kidnap a couple in a hotel room. Otis more or less rapes the woman with his gun (fairly graphically) while the sister keeps saying "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these?" and laughing over and over again. It's mostly just creepy stuff like that. There's another scene where they tie up a woman and force her to wear a mask made out of her husband's face, which has just been sliced off (offscreen).

It honestly isn't any gorier than the average horror movie, but it's done in a very dark and mean-spirited way that makes it feel gorier. Kinda like the way the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had almost no gore at all and yet it has this reputation as being one of the most gruesome movies of all time.

The scene from American History X where Norton makes the guy bite the curb... the sound effect they put in as the guy's teeth touch the curb makes my skin crawl. And I'm usually not affected by movies much...

I'll have to check this one out and see what I think...

Dan said:

Well that does give me a good idea about this one.

Have you seen "The Hills Have Eyes" ?

This movie was completly disturbing. There didn't seem to be any point to the movie at all, just a bunch of mindless killing. Can't believe I wasted my time watching it, but my gf dragged me to it.

Have you seen "The Hills Have Eyes" ?

Oh, yeah, great movie. As a matter of fact, that weird-looking bald guy has a small part in Devil's Rejects.

This movie was completly disturbing. There didn't seem to be any point to the movie at all, just a bunch of mindless killing. Can't believe I wasted my time watching it, but my gf dragged me to it.

Well, I don't think there was supposed to be a point to it, really. It was just a sick story, I guess.

it was alright, it seems like a movie where they are trying too hard to make it wierd.

If that's how you felt about Devil's Rejects, I'd love to know what you thought of House of 1000 Corpses.

Dan said:
If that's how you felt about Devil's Rejects, I'd love to know what you thought of House of 1000 Corpses.

i couldn't finish watching it because it was so boring. chain saw massacare rip off to me. rob zombie seems like a wannabe gore freak to me, maybe he's not just seems that way to me. love white zombie though.
:kiss2:

couldn't finish watching it because it was so boring. chain saw massacare rip off to me. rob zombie seems like a wannabe gore freak to me, maybe he's not just seems that way to me. love white zombie though.

That's cool. It just seemed to me that of those 2, House of 1000 Corpses would definitely be the one that came across as 'trying way too hard to be weird.' Once you take away all the weird cutaways, you're basically left with a slightly above-average (in my opinion) movie that could've been told in about 30 minutes.

I think what he wanted to do was have House of 1000 Corpses be an homage to 50's monster movies and Devil's Rejects an homage to 70's splatterhouse movies. I think he was successful with the latter. I think that's evident when you look at how old-fashioned most of the effects in House... seem to be. I've read a lot of horror stories (no pun intended!) about how House of 1000 Corpses suffered from a lot of studio interference and got butchered pretty badly by the MPAA. I think Zombie hasn't made his best movie yet, though.

Agreed about White Zombie, though, I don't think anybody realizes how far out there they really were compared to the rest of the rock landscape of the early 90s.

Know nothing about the films but was White Zombie supposed to be a tribute to the 1930's movie of the same name?

Just so happens that White Zombie (1930's) was the first zombie movie ever made.

Know nothing about the films but was White Zombie supposed to be a tribute to the 1930's movie of the same name?

Just so happens that White Zombie (1930's) was the first zombie movie ever made.

I'm sure that's where they got the name from. But, no, they really had nothing to do with that movie. White Zombie's music was slightly more thrash-y than Rob Zombie's solo stuff, but for the most part, it's all pretty interchangable. But, Rob Zombie is very vocal about his love for classic horror films, he has a room in his house full of videos that's bigger than my living room.

This is out on video by now, right?

I saw the first one, didn't think much of it... I understood what Rob was trying to do, but it just came off kinda *blah*.

My younger brother on the other hand HATED it with a passion. I remember him saying "The only reason i'm going to watch this stupid fucking movie till the end is because I hope somebody kills that fucking blonde bitch. I hate her fucking laugh so much... GOD! I just want to stab her in the face everytime I see her.". :laugh:

Myself, i'm willing to give this one a look, but only because of Captain Spaulding who is played by the great Sid Haig.

clown.jpg

By the way, I heard the psycho blonde chick is Rob Zombie's daughter / wife. Anyone know if thats true?

Stylistically, it's nothing like the first one. The first one was an ode to 50's monster movies, this one is an ode to 70's grindhouse movies (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.). It's much darker.

Forum List

Back