The Devil’s Delusion

If you didn't find it interesting, it seems a less than intelligent investment of your time.

Perhaps you should rethink your investments on the board.

I was trying to read along with an open mind until I got to this part:

While science has nothing of value to say

At that point, I realized I was reading "blather". I've never been very good with foreign language.

There you go, Chubby!
In one short post you summed up the single most important reason for your lack of success in life!

A.D.D.!

Awww ... I feel for you. Some people never outgrow it, but there are medications for adult ADD now, so there is no need to suffer.

Interesting post, Rocks.
What I like about it is how it highlights the dif in points of view. I don't mind you having this point of view, but it seems that lots of folks on your side are put out by those of us who have faith, who look for meaning in life, and of life.

Now, Berlinski comments on those scientists who beleive as you do, or who the WSJ has referred to as 'militant atheists,' and he has an interesting suggestion as to why this view has gained prominence today...

Now, get this: Could not the rise of militant atheism be a reaction, albeit a cautious- even a pusillanimous one, to the violence of Islamic religiosity?

An attempt to push back against this particular iteration of a religious viewpoint without being open to the very real possibility of physical attack?

Take on Christianity...which is open to attack, yet will not cut one's head off.

Militant atheism is just a byproduct of runaway political correctness.

40 years ago some of the legal claims would result in the claimant being run out of town.

I don't agree with running someone out of town simply because of their beliefs, but I do get tired of some of the ridiculous hypocrisy on display by those who feel that Christians lack tolerance.

I feel the same about militant athiesm as I feel about militant Christianity, or any other militant 'faith'. If you have to shove it down people's throats, it is because it does not have enough validity to stand on its own.

Well, I asked Rocks for an example of faith being 'shoved it down people's throats'...
but either he couldn't come up with one, or he's too busy getting ready for Times Square...

...so let me assume that he came up with one.
Perhaps the Jehovah's Witnesses ringing his doorbell Sunday morn...

[I solved that problem by drawing a chalk outline of a body on the front porch, and tossing a few 'Watchtower's' around it...]

Back to Rocks.... I hadn’t thought of it in those terms, but if you have no objection to my using your somewhat hostile and hyperbolic terminology, I would like to apply it to advertising.

They sure do 'force it down your throat...'

In all honesty, I have no trouble either turning the station or turning down the sound to avoid much of it. Sorry that you must endure the kind of paralysis that prevents you from doing the same when confronted with, or accosted by, some source of theological blabber.
Hope that suggestion solves the problem, Rocks.

What, pray tell, Rocks...(pun intended) is the cause of your incapacity?

At that point, I realized I was reading "blather". I've never been very good with foreign language.

There you go, Chubby!
In one short post you summed up the single most important reason for your lack of success in life!

A.D.D.!

Awww ... I feel for you. Some people never outgrow it, but there are medications for adult ADD now, so there is no need to suffer.

Far from clear to whom you are directing your post...

1. If it is the poster who evinces an inability to finish reading a sentence, then it is misaddressed.

2. If it to myself, then it doesn't respond to any aspect of the discussion...and appears
more as a childish 'well, so are you..."

Try to be more articulate next year.
And grown up.
Happy New Year.

If you didn't find it interesting, it seems a less than intelligent investment of your time.

Perhaps you should rethink your investments on the board.

There you go, Chubby!

A.D.D.!

I'm sorry. Can you say that again in English. I never studied "blather".

There you go, Chubby!

A.D.D.!

I'm sorry. Can you say that again in English. I never studied "blather".

Is English a second language for you?
I know you don't have a first one.
I keed, I keed!

Now, you stay away from the bottle tonight...your link to reality is tentative as is!

There you go, Chubby!

A.D.D.!

1. If it is the poster who evinces an inability to finish reading a sentence, then it is misaddressed.

2. If it to myself, then it doesn't respond to any aspect of the discussion...and appears

And grown up.
Happy New Year.

Well, I thought having ADD would explain a lot about you. I guess if you are a child even without ADD that would explain a lot too.

Watching the trolls attack the OP in this thread is amusing.

Not so amusing, and actually sad, is that they think they present as intellectuals.

And grown up.
Happy New Year.

Well, I thought having ADD would explain a lot about you. I guess if you are a child even without ADD that would explain a lot too.

While, clearly, you don't realize the comic relief you provide, it is equally clear that you don't realize the dunce you appear.

This is true of those who use words and terms whose meaning is beyond them.

Let's see if I can provide a New Year's good deed by helping out of this quandary.

"I thought having ADD would explain a lot about you."
First off, you have no business using the word "thought."

Second, for edification,:

"Attention Deficit Disorder is a biologically based condition causing a persistent pattern of difficulties resulting in one or more of the the following behaviors:

inattention
hyperactivity
impulsivity "
ADD Explained - A definition of Attention Deficit Disorder

So, having indicted me as having this deficiency, it behooves you to point out said 'inattention' as evinced in this thread.

Now, certainly you will be unable to do so...as you are unable to do so very many things.
quod erat demonstrandum...you are a dunce.

This was an interesting thread, and contains thoughtful posts on both sides of the question...but this does not include yours. You bring nothing to the table, and probably don't comprehend the questions involved.

You should try to stick to subjects where you might actually have some cache, such as favorite Crayola, or how far to sit from the tv….this is out of your league.

Now, I've given you far more attention than you deserve....be gone.

Not so amusing, and actually sad, is that they think they present as intellectuals.

You've summed it up succinctly...many are afraid to admit to belief, as they see that attitude as harder to defend than puffing out their chests and claiming to stand with 'science'...

...even though, when pressed, they can't show why is it 'superior.'
Even though so many scientists are believers.

According to Loki, Einstein must have believed that 'step on a crack, break your mother's back.'
It is the fad of the age in which we live.

According to Loki, Einstein must have believed that 'step on a crack, break your mother's back.'

No, he didn't. Einstein did not believe in divine-caused universal flood.

A distinction needs to be drawn between mysticism (which Einstein experienced) and make-believe (which he didn't).

You've summed it up succinctly...many are afraid to admit to belief, as they see that attitude as harder to defend than puffing out their chests and claiming to stand with 'science'...

What we have here folks is yet another example of the intellectual dishonesty of superstitious retards; predictably applying misinforming rationalized non-sequiturs in the vain hope of refuting the intellectually and morally superior points that establish the intellectual and moral invalidity of faith.

And Loki again obfuscates using a long string of words that, per usual, mean nothing.

And Loki again obfuscates using a long string of words that, per usual, mean nothing.
And koshergrl once again asserts her own stupidity and lack of intellectual integrity as the inadequacy of others.

I wish I could somehow communicate to you how incredibly idiotic you come across.

But since it's impossible to break through your bubble of pseudo-intellectualism, I'll just enjoy the laugh.

What we have here folks is yet another example of the intellectual dishonesty of superstitious retards; predictably applying misinforming rationalized non-sequiturs in the vain hope of refuting the intellectually and morally superior points that establish the intellectual and moral invalidity of faith.

This is what I wrote to Koshergrl: "... afraid to admit to belief, as they see that attitude as harder to defend than puffing out their chests and claiming to stand with 'science'..."

And right on cue...here you come to prove it!

1. Note how you cover up insecurity with this fake angry tone: "...superstitious retards..."

2. And how you inject the term 'intellectual,' as often as you can...to pretend that this is the mountain top on which you stand...
...from post #72: "...intellectual dishonesty..."

...and here it is again, same source: "the intellectually and morally superior points..."

...OMG...again! Same post: "...the intellectual and moral invalidity of faith..."

...and in your next post: "...lack of intellectual integrity..."

An intellectual would probably be more articulate, no?

3. I believe that Shakespeare had you pegged: 'The lady doth protest too much, methinks.' Seems you have a lot in common with that lady, eh?

4. Here is the meaning of 'intellectual:' Given to activities or pursuits that require exercise of the intellect.

It seems that you are deathly afraid that folks may think you are less than an intellectual...so you feel the need to conspicuously inscribe and display it on your chest over and over...in the hope, I suppose, that it sticks to you.
Pathetic.

5. Now, I'm not certain whether or not you are an intellectual...but you haven't shown that characteristic as yet...although your writing isn't bad.

I'll give you a chance to mull that over...and show you an actual intellectual discussing the question at hand.

Loki has delusions of intellectualism. He's NOT an intellectual and his writing is garbage. He needs a BRUTAL editor. Maybe then he'd be forced to inject some substance into his tripe.

And koshergrl once again asserts her own stupidity and lack of intellectual integrity as the inadequacy of others.

OK-ey, Loki...
...I couldn't resist.

Here is a real intellectual, Thomas Aquinas, considering the question of the existence of God.

1. In “Summa Theologica,” Thomas Aquinas addresses the question, and actually poses the atheist argument.: “There is no reason to suppose God’s existence.” http://www.braungardt.com/Theology/Proofs of God/thomas_aquinas.htm

a. He then goes on to counter the argument. In question 2, article 3, he gives five arguments for the existence of God, including the following: There is an order of efficient causes. Just as no man can be his own father, no effect can be its own cause. Follow any series of effects preceded by their causes and we have a luminous metaphysical trail backwards into the past. It is not possible to go on to infinity, so there must be a first cause. This first cause he identifies with God, based on “I AM THAT I AM,” Exodus 3:14.

2. Both Evolutionary Scientist Richard Dawkins and physicist Victor Stenger claim that Aquinas “makes the unwarranted assumption that God is immune to the regress.” But Aquinas doesn’t make this assumption…rather he claims that causes in nature cannot form an infinite series. None of our atheist friends have been able to argue that this is not so.
Would you care to?

BTW...neither men call their opponents 'retards.'
But, they are intellectuals.

I wish I could somehow communicate to you how incredibly idiotic you come across.

But since it's impossible to break through your bubble of pseudo-intellectualism, I'll just enjoy the laugh.
Considering how I've proven you to be an unambiguously stupid and intellectually dishonest retard; and since I have exposed your impenetrable bubble of anti-reason, none of your judgments on any subject have any meaning to any rational person.

Really, no one cares about your disingenuous opinion, informed by your broken self-esteem, regarding how I come across.

And grown up.
Happy New Year.

While, clearly, you don't realize the comic relief you provide, it is equally clear that you don't realize the dunce you appear.

This is true of those who use words and terms whose meaning is beyond them.

Let's see if I can provide a New Year's good deed by helping out of this quandary.

"I thought having ADD would explain a lot about you."
First off, you have no business using the word "thought."

Second, for edification,:

"Attention Deficit Disorder is a biologically based condition causing a persistent pattern of difficulties resulting in one or more of the the following behaviors:

inattention
hyperactivity
impulsivity "
ADD Explained - A definition of Attention Deficit Disorder

So, having indicted me as having this deficiency, it behooves you to point out said 'inattention' as evinced in this thread.

Now, certainly you will be unable to do so...as you are unable to do so very many things.
quod erat demonstrandum...you are a dunce.

This was an interesting thread, and contains thoughtful posts on both sides of the question...but this does not include yours. You bring nothing to the table, and probably don't comprehend the questions involved.

You should try to stick to subjects where you might actually have some cache, such as favorite Crayola, or how far to sit from the tv….this is out of your league.

Now, I've given you far more attention than you deserve....be gone.

Wow! being called a dunce by you is actually quite complimentary since you think you look intelligent. I really appreciate it.

Forum List

Back