Starting in the 1890's any semblence of fair representation of the voter in politics has been laughable. The state tells us that our vehicle for participating in the electoral system has been our vote, however as it stands the common mans vote does not mean nearly as much as the rich mans wallet. Again and again the Supreme upholds the unspecified rights of the upper 5% of the American population to engage in shady backroom deals and buy access to the congress and the White House that the other 95% of the population could only dream of. Of course lip service is paid to the "American People" but in the end unless that citizen is a member of an organization engaged in a bundling operation that sent a few million dollars of "personal contributions" to one of our unscrupulous legislators, then they are denied the same influence that the above mentioned patroni enjoy. This inside access based on your social class is a perversion of what this country is based on and gives Harry Reid and John Boehner something to laugh about over expensive scotch and Cuban cigars. The American people realize their lack of influence considering 46% of them do not bother to show up to the polls anymore, and the 2008 elections were hailed as one of the highest turnouts in recent history. The vote, one of the fundamental rights given to American Citizens is less important than not getting called for jury duty. This drive to render the American people impotent needs to be stopped in order for the United States to again be an example for democracy, freedom, and equality.