"The Democratic Party left me behind — and I'm not alone"

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
It's certainly at least left the white population behind.

I’m no Trump supporter, but I’ve been repulsed by the political and cultural left’s hatred, demonization and mistreatment of the president.

SARITHA PRABHU | THE TENNESSEAN OPINION
4:00 a.m. PDT July 9, 2018

I am a Democrat who has spent the last two years often criticizing my own party and fellow Democrats.

Yeah, I’m a bad Democrat, I know.

I have friends and readers asking me, “Are you still a liberal?” and “Have you changed parties?” and “Why are you seemingly defending Trump?”

I’ve been a loyal Democrat for about 15 years. As someone who became a citizen in 2006, I became a Democrat during the George W. Bush years, because I liked the party’s anti-war, pro-minority, pro-environment, pro-little guy positions.

But the 2016 election was an eye-opener for me. To use the current political jargon, I became “woke,” in some very different ways, and I got “red-pilled.”

The Democratic Party left me behind — and I'm not alone

The Republican Party (rino leadership) left me a long time ago. Both have moved left. Trump is a welcome break from the downward spiral.

I’m no Trump supporter, but I’ve been repulsed by the political and cultural left’s hatred, demonization and mistreatment of the president.

I am a Democrat who has spent the last two years often criticizing my own party and fellow Democrats.

I have friends and readers asking me, “Are you still a liberal?” and “Have you changed parties?” and “Why are you seemingly defending Trump?”

I’ve been a loyal Democrat for about 15 years. As someone who became a citizen in 2006, I became a Democrat during the George W. Bush years, because I liked the party’s anti-war, pro-minority, pro-environment, pro-little guy positions.

But the 2016 election was an eye-opener for me. To use the current political jargon, I became “woke,” in some very different ways, and I got “red-pilled.”

This same thread was attempted earlier today. The thread was closed. Too bad too, as it sparked one of the better discussions of late.
BookShaka
frigidweirdo
bendog

Since you're trying to make the same point here I'll note the same thing I did there:

Cherrypicking is easy but the fact is people are leaving BOTH parties and have been for some time. The largest political party faction in this country is "none". And that's a good sign -- even though it personally gives me the creeps to be part of a majority. It means people might be waking up to the fallacy of partisan dichotomy.

Last edited:
And here is kiwiman127 's excellent followup on the same point:

But, it appears that the Republican Party is shrinking and the demographics are not in their favor.
Now the Democratic Party isn't quite taking over and have also lost public support, demographics are working their way for the future.

Trump owns a shrinking Republican party

shrinking-png.203771

In the end, Independents are the fastest growing political demographic, they have had it with both parties as neither party appeals to centralist. The farther right or left the parties go, the more voters are moving to become Independent.

It's great to see more and more people thinking on their own, instead of goose-stepping to an ideology. This is a victory for America. It also raises of a centralist party to emerge, that prefers compromise.
Americans Favor Compromise to Get Things Done in Washington

(/end paste)

Notice the red and blue lines both in decline while the gray one climbs.

But, it appears that the Republican Party is shrinking and the demographics are not in their favor.
Now the Democratic Party isn't quite taking over and have also lost public support, demographics are working their way for the future.

shrinking-png.203771

In the end, Independents are the fastest growing political demographic, they have had it with both parties as neither party appeals to centralist. The farther right or left the parties go, the more voters are moving to become Independent.

It's great to see more and more people thinking on their own, instead of goose-stepping to an ideology. This is a victory for America. It also raises of a centralist party to emerge, that prefers compromise.

(/end paste)

This means nothing when the huge majority of indies vote big red.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Link?

Yeah guess not.

Actually it means plenty. It means more of us have ditched the dichotomy "joining the Duopoly" mentality. As you just tried to do in a surreptitious way.

And as already pointed out that can only be a good thing.

Please tell me, please....how in the fuck is it the democrats fault that corporate america chose profits over jobs here in this country and left small town struggling? You white people are gonna rue the day, believing conservatives have your interest at heart....just because its white doesn't mean its all in for you nuts.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Link?

Yeah guess not.

Actually it means plenty. It means more of us have ditched the dichotomy "joining the Duopoly" mentality. As you just tried to do in a surreptitious way.

#walkaway is an exploding movement. That's not to say they will become Reps, it's to say they won't be voting Dems.

As far as your link, google indie vote 2016.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Link?

Yeah guess not.

#walkaway is an exploding movement. That's not to say they will become Reps, it's to say they won't be voting Dems.

It's not my point, ergo it's not my job.

Oopsie. Wonder why you're afraid to do it.

As far as what IS my point, that already done got made. And documented.

I believe this is the point where you descend into Papiamento to avoid conceding in English?

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Link?

Yeah guess not.

It's not my point, ergo it's not my job.

Oopsie. Wonder why you're afraid to do it.

As far as what IS my point, that done already got made. And documented.
#walkaway.

I'm glad you don't believe it. :)

Please tell me, please....how in the fuck is it the democrats fault that corporate america chose profits over jobs here in this country and left small town struggling? You white people are gonna rue the day, believing conservatives have your interest at heart....just because its white doesn't mean its all in for you nuts.

:eusa_doh: you black people.....

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

I agree that's it a good thing, but this is really only somewhat interesting to those who think on the one dimensional line of left and right. It's wholly inadequate to show the real movement in politics over the last 20 years or so: both parties moving in the same authoritarian direction.

I'd venture to guess that the majority of those independents are so because there's at least one issue there where they go "can't you just leave me the fuck alone?" or "why does government need to be worrying about this?" Those would people would be correct.

With how the republicans have got thoroughly killed on social issues in recent memory combined with their supposed commitment to fiscal responsibility, it makes sense that they bring the libertarians in to supply the ideas for the republican machinery to run on. With so many people leaving the democrat party and so many identifying as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal", to liberpublicans would clean up.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

I agree that's it a good thing, but this is really only somewhat interesting to those who think on the one dimensional line of left and right. It's wholly inadequate to show the real movement in politics over the last 20 years or so: both parties moving in the same authoritarian direction.

I'd venture to guess that the majority of those independents are so because there's at least one issue there where they go "can't you just leave me the fuck alone?" or "why does government need to be worrying about this?" Those would people would be correct.

With how the republicans have got thoroughly killed on social issues in recent memory combined with their supposed commitment to fiscal responsibility, it makes sense that they bring the libertarians in to supply the ideas for the republican machinery to run on. With so many people leaving the democrat party and so many identifying as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal", to liberpublicans would clean up.

"Parties" are irrelevant. Actually they always were except to those running one.

I've never voted for a "party" in my life. I vote for a candidate. And if possible I don't even want to know what their party affiliation is. Although it does impress me if they run without one.

It is becoming very clear that a growing number of enlightened people are becoming disillusioned with what the 2 dominate parties stand for. As a fiscal conservative/social liberal I left the GOP over a decade ago. An outlier like Trump provides the only viable alternative right now.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

"Parties" are irrelevant. Actually they always were except to those running one.

I've never voted for a "party" in my life. I vote for a candidate. And if possible I don't even want to know what their party affiliation is. Although it does impress me if they run without one.
They're not irrelevant at all. Rather, they should be. Both have political machinery they've established over decades that get their candidates in front of people and push them toward election.

Just like when anything institution gets big, they tend to lose focus on the mission statement and focus on their own survival/well being. Right now, the parties are much more about looking out for their own good (maintaining power) than earnestly representing their constituents (what they got in business for). I think there's a lot candidates that enter politics with good intentions and then get thoroughly corrupted by the big political machines and the overall game they play. It's very easy for one little "ok i'll take this guys' money even though i don't like what he stands for cause it's for the greater good" to turn into owing a cadre of well connected, wealthy people who largely hold your career and future in their hands.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Ignoring party affiliation is a quaint idea, but voting for the person over the party is not necessarily a useful strategy. Consider that the party in control of congress sets the agendas and typically gets the leadership positions. I dislike the Republican Party, but as a conservative I will almost always vote for a Republican over a Democrat for that reason.

shrinking-png.203771

(/end paste)

Ignoring party affiliation is a quaint idea, but voting for the person over the party is not necessarily a useful strategy. Consider that the party in control of congress sets the agendas and typically gets the leadership positions. I dislike the Republican Party, but as a conservative I will almost always vote for a Republican over a Democrat for that reason.
It requires a high level of information and engagement to be able to make an intelligent decision between 2 (or more) options. Most people don't engage to that level. It's arguable if they should or not, but that's why the parties exist. "Hey, we're pretty similar in what we think. Maybe we should start an organization that helps share these ideas and pools resources to help us all get our names out there?" That's the gist of the political parties. So, the group defines what they believe on a higher level and then you can assume that anyone in that group is largely adhering to those ideals.

That alone is deceptive. It enables and takes advantage of low information voters and gives those voters confidence that they're making the right vote despite not knowing a damn thing about the candidate they're voting for. It's why i say "the blue and red teams" because there's sooo many people who vote party, not candidate. It's like being a fan of the Chicago Bears. I don't care who's on the team at the time as long as they can help my team win. That's what politics is today.

Forum List

Back