The definition of Irony:

No one expected Tampa Bay to win the SB, no one expected the Ravens to win the SB. No one expected the Patriots to win that first one.

Just this past decade alone has proven that the underdog can never be counted out.

That '01 Rams team was WAAAAYY better than this year's Colts team, but that Rams team lost out to a better defense.

There's absolutely no reason to think that can't happen to the Colts on Sunday. This Jets defense is probably the best defense I've seen in years.

I haven't been this stoked for a playoff game that didn't involve the Eagles in a long time.

The Bucs and the Ravens weren't a surprise. The Bucs had one of the best defenses in the modern history of the NFL and had been to the NFC Championship game in two of the three previous three years prior to winning the Super Bowl. The Ravens also had one of the greatest defenses of all time, and once they got to the AFC Championship game against Tennessee, it was not a shock that they won, though they way they did it was pretty unusual (23 points, 6 first downs, 5 pass completions v. the Titans).

Better examples are the Giants previous two Super Bowl teams.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, and the Jets certainly have a shot. However, they will be doing something that has never been done before - win a SB with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. The Jets have a good defense, but it isn't in the same league as the Bucs nor the Ravens of the past, though they may be in a year or two. And given the three teams that stand in their way, it is a difficult task.

Young Pats against St Louis was a good example. Good D, QB had no respect.....just stay out of trouble

BUT with an experienced coach and a QB with a few years experience.

Oh, and video spying...

The Bucs and the Ravens weren't a surprise. The Bucs had one of the best defenses in the modern history of the NFL and had been to the NFC Championship game in two of the three previous three years prior to winning the Super Bowl. The Ravens also had one of the greatest defenses of all time, and once they got to the AFC Championship game against Tennessee, it was not a shock that they won, though they way they did it was pretty unusual (23 points, 6 first downs, 5 pass completions v. the Titans).

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, and the Jets certainly have a shot. However, they will be doing something that has never been done before - win a SB with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. The Jets have a good defense, but it isn't in the same league as the Bucs nor the Ravens of the past, though they may be in a year or two. And given the three teams that stand in their way, it is a difficult task.

Young Pats against St Louis was a good example. Good D, QB had no respect.....just stay out of trouble

Oh, and video spying...
there was video spying way back then? are you sure about that, toro?

Oh, and video spying...

No. This was the Pats first Superbowl victory and Belechick was a washed up Cleveland coach. Brady had just taken over from Bledsoe and the Pats got lucky with that "tuck-rule" victory over the Raiders.

Very close to the Jets

Oh, and video spying...

No. This was the Pats first Superbowl victory and Belechick was a washed up Cleveland coach. Brady had just taken over from Bledsoe and the Pats got lucky with that "tuck-rule" victory over the Raiders.

Very close to the Jets

Belichick had been a head coach for 7 years before he won his first SB. I was wrong to say that Brady was "experienced" but he had spent one year on the bench behind Bledsoe before Bledsoe was hurt and Brady was thrust into the starting position. So I think they are different.

I'm a numbers geek, so I'll show you the QBs.

Brady 2001
Year 2nd
Completions 264
Attempts 413
Comp Perc 64%
Yards 2843
TDs 18
INTs 12
Rating 86.46
Regular Season Record 11-3

Sanchez 2009
Year 1st
Completions 196
Attempts 364
Comp Perc 54%
Yards 2444
TDs 12
INTs 20
Rating 63.02
Regular Season Record 9-7

Brady was a far better QB than Sanchez.

Of course, this is all BS if the Jets go on to win the SB. And as a Vikings fan, I'd rather play the Jets than the Colts, should Minnesota win. But New York definitely has a shot.

No one expected Tampa Bay to win the SB, no one expected the Ravens to win the SB. No one expected the Patriots to win that first one.

Just this past decade alone has proven that the underdog can never be counted out.

That '01 Rams team was WAAAAYY better than this year's Colts team, but that Rams team lost out to a better defense.

There's absolutely no reason to think that can't happen to the Colts on Sunday. This Jets defense is probably the best defense I've seen in years.

I haven't been this stoked for a playoff game that didn't involve the Eagles in a long time.

Giants are not a good example, they had been to the playoffs for the third straight year in 2007.

The same is true of the 2000 team, they had been to the playoffs a few times before getting to the SB.

Oh, and video spying...

Very close to the Jets

Belichick had been a head coach for 7 years before he won his first SB. I was wrong to say that Brady was "experienced" but he had spent one year on the bench behind Bledsoe before Bledsoe was hurt and Brady was thrust into the starting position. So I think they are different.

I'm a numbers geek, so I'll show you the QBs.

Brady 2001
Year 2nd
Completions 264
Attempts 413
Comp Perc 64%
Yards 2843
TDs 18
INTs 12
Rating 86.46
Regular Season Record 11-3

Sanchez 2009
Year 1st
Completions 196
Attempts 364
Comp Perc 54%
Yards 2444
TDs 12
INTs 20
Rating 63.02
Regular Season Record 9-7

Brady was a far better QB than Sanchez.

Of course, this is all BS if the Jets go on to win the SB. And as a Vikings fan, I'd rather play the Jets than the Colts, should Minnesota win. But New York definitely has a shot.

I'm sorry Toro

I was not implying that Sanchez is as good as Brady that year. Only that he was not respected as a starting QB. Pats that year won on defense not Bradys leadership

Giants are not a good example, they had been to the playoffs for the third straight year in 2007.

The same is true of the 2000 team, they had been to the playoffs a few times before getting to the SB.

Well, they are better examples, given that they weren't given much of a chance at the beginning of the playoffs.

The 2000 Giants also had a SB winning coach on the sidelines. However, they had a back-up at QB, and were huge underdogs in the NFC Championship and the SB. In 2008, they had to go on the road three times, had a QB who was playing poorly mid-season, and had to play The Greatest Team of All-Time in the SB, who were 18-0. But Manning had 3-4 years under his belt and Coughlin had played in the AFC Championship game with the Jags.

I'm sorry Toro

I was not implying that Sanchez is as good as Brady that year. Only that he was not respected as a starting QB. Pats that year won on defense not Bradys leadership

Pats also won that year on coaching. Belichick outcoached Martz. Martz's first 18 plays of the SB were passes. The Rams scored 3 points in the first half.

Brady played very efficiently in the regular season of that year. I remember that Belichick had to make a decision on whether or not to put Bledsoe back in the starter when he came off the injured list. Brady was playing so well that Belichick chose to keep Bledsoe on the sidelines. Compare that with Sanchez, who threw six picks in a loss at home to the Bills, and Ryan openly mused that he might bench Sanchez after that game.

I'm not saying the Jets can't win. A good defense and a powerful running game is a very good combination to make a run. I'm saying that it has never been done with a rookie QB and a rookie head coach, and there are three very good teams that stand in front of them, which makes it unlikely.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Toro

Pats also won that year on coaching. Belichick outcoached Martz. Martz's first 18 plays of the SB were passes. The Rams scored 3 points in the first half.

Brady played very efficiently in the regular season of that year. I remember that Belichick had to make a decision on whether or not to put Bledsoe back in the starter when he came off the injured list. Brady was playing so well that Belichick chose to keep Bledsoe on the sidelines. Compare that with Sanchez, who threw six picks in a loss at home to the Bills, and Ryan openly mused that he might bench Sanchez after that game.

I'm not saying the Jets can't win. A good defense and a powerful running game is a very good combination to make a run. I'm saying that it has never been done with a rookie QB and a rookie head coach, and there are three very good teams that stand in front of them, which makes it unlikely.

Yep, this is what scares me, the saying "On any given Sunday......."

Everyone keeps saying the Colts are going to win, and win big, so that right there it jinx's them lol. I am SURE the coach and Peyton are making sure the rest of the team have their head in the right place and aren't taking what the media and fans are saying too far. I think it will be close the first half, then experience and home field advantage will come into full effect,with a Colts win by 14. I hope so anyway. Like I said, I hope they don't take the Jets too lightly, and that they play with a "revenge mode" to make up for that last game against them when they had no choice but to lose to them per the coach's decision.

That being said:

GO COLTS!

I think the game is going to be a 17-13 game, probably for the Colts.

But the Jets DO match up well with Indy. They can win this.

Of course, it should be pointed out that the Colts coach is a rookie too. However, Manning is maybe the best ever player in the NFL, and the Colts have a better defense than the Chargers.

I don't really see why being to the playoffs previously has anything to do with it. Maybe you could make the case that the young players had that experience and got it out of their systems I guess, but that's really reaching as far as trying to validate a team's potential.

You play with what you have, and the Jets have a shut 'em down type of defense and the best running attack in the NFL.

No matter what anyone says, that has been a recipe for championship success many times throughout history. Probably more so than any other formula.

I think anyone expecting a blowout is going to be disappointed.

If Cincy rested their players and didn't show all their plays in the first game, why did the Jets then beat up those well rested players with a surprise offense?

You play the team thats on the field. If that teams heart is not in the game, it is not your fault. Schedule, injuries, bad calls, bad bounces all come into play. Bottom line...the Jets made the playoffs and proved they belong there

Yep

Mani is one game away from 100 hail Mary's!

Is it one or two? I can't remember if they have to win the SB or just get there.

Not that it matters, the Saints are gonna school them.

I'm sure it's been said (but I need to get to 15 post tonightish) but the IRONY is sure as heck not lost on this Cincinnati dweller as the Bungles did the exact same thing. (irony part deux)

All I'm rooting for from here on out is good clean football.

Well, they are better examples, given that they weren't given much of a chance at the beginning of the playoffs.

The 2000 Giants also had a SB winning coach on the sidelines. However, they had a back-up at QB, and were huge underdogs in the NFC Championship and the SB. In 2008, they had to go on the road three times, had a QB who was playing poorly mid-season, and had to play The Greatest Team of All-Time in the SB, who were 18-0. But Manning had 3-4 years under his belt and Coughlin had played in the AFC Championship game with the Jags.

You are describing the 1990 Giants.

That team lead the NFL in defense and had the greatest defender in NFL history, LT. Montana used to be asked who he hated to play against, his answer was always the giants, because they made him black and blue for a month. The team was underdog due to Simms being out, but since the team design was short passing, running and great defense it didn't really matter.

The 2000 Giants were nowhere near as good, with Kerry Collins at QB and one of the alltime great coaching jackasses running the show, Jim Fassel.

The team was underdog due to Simms being out, but since the team design was short passing, running and great defense it didn't really matter.

That's been the case probably more times than I can count, in the NFL. I know Sanchez isn't Phil Simms, but does he really NEED to be?

All he really needs to do is protect the ball.

For the record, in the first game, the Colts starters played 2+ quarters, and Manning was 14 for 21, 192 yards and a 95 passing rating. The Jets had 120 yards in the first half, and were trailing 15-10 when the starters sat. The Jets TD was on a return of the opening kickoff of the second half.

Last edited:
For the record, in the first game, the Colts starters played 2+ quarters, and Manning was 14 for 21, 192 yards and a 95 passing rating. The Jets had 120 yards in the first half, and were trailing 15-10 when the starters sat. The Jets TD was on a return of the opening kickoff of the second half.

I do believe there will need to be some defensive or special teams scoring by the Jets if they want to win this.

A pick or a fumble deep in opponent territory is probably going to be crucial.

Manning will have to be perfect, and so will the Colts' hands.

Anyway, GAME ON!

What's up with the place kicking this year in the playoffs???

Forum List

Back