The definition of Irony:

I think this game will be closer than people think, but I do believe the Colts will win.

The problem with the Colts is that they are one-dimensional on offense. Can one guy carry the team on his back? Maybe, if that guy is Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest NFL player of all time.

The way you beat the Colts is to get inside Manning's head and get pressure on him. He will make mistakes if you scheme well and put someone in his face. He will throw picks. If the Jets can do this, they can win. If they don't, they have no hope.

The game is not going to come down to the corners, no matter how good they are, because it isn't the number 1 match-up that matters. Or the number 2 match-up. It is the number 3 and 4 guys. It doesn't matter how good Revis is. What matters is how good the nickel and dime corners are, and how good the LBs can cover Clark. If Reggie Wayne is covered, no matter, Manning will hit his second, third or forth option if he is given time. Those guys aren't good enough to cover the rookie Colt receivers whom you'd never heard of before because Manning will lay it in their hands and away from the defense.

However, if the Jets can blitz and put pressure on Manning, he will throw balls up. That is the Jets only chance, because they won't score more than 16 against a better defense than San Diego. In fact, I would be surprised if the Jets offense scored more than 10 points. The Jets defense and special teams are going to have put some points on the board if they are going to win.

As a Vikings fan (or as a Saints fan), I would much rather play the Jets than the Colts in the Super Bowl. The Vikings have as good of a defense as the Jets and a much better offense, moreso than the differences between the Vikings and the Colts. But I don't think that is going to happen.

Last edited:
Should the Colts rest Peyton Manning for the Super Bowl?

After all, they are only playing the Jets. What if Manning got injured?

You can't be too safe in this game

While this would certainly be ironic, it would still pale in comparison to the half-dozen layers of irony that would accompany a Scott Brown victory today in the MA special Senate election.

Here's to rooting for irony all around! :beer:

While this would certainly be ironic, it would still pale in comparison to the half-dozen layers of irony that would accompany a Scott Brown victory today in the MA special Senate election.

Who does Scott Brown play for?

Who does Scott Brown play for?

He was the running back for the Cleveland Browns...

This is the first time in a LONG time that I've been more interested in the AFC championship game.

This game makes me want to puke on my dinner plate and eat it.

I'll be watching, of course ....

And you won't be able to look away. Like I said in another thread, if the Jets were playing anyone else but the Colts I'd be all for them, and will cheer them on in the SB if we do lose.

But,,,,the boys here are thinking "pay back" time, since the Colts didn't get a chance to really play their game against the Jets a few weeks ago. They'll be on fire and ready to prove that they would have won that game if the coach hadn't pulled their starters.

Plus, this one is for all the marbles, a ticket to Miami.

The Colts need to hit the Jets hard early. They need to get up 14 points and make Mark Sanchez beat them. The problem with San Diego is that they let the Jets linger at 7 points down. Once the Jets got on top, the pressure was off of Sanchez and the defense took charge

The Colts pull their starters thereby giving the Jets a win that gets them into the playoffs, and now they could very well lose out to those Jets next week.

That would be a really strange turn of events, and something for the TV sports gossipers to feed off of for the rest of the winter.

Yea, indeed. I can't stomach the thought, as I just can't stand the Jets...blech

Still, I believe they've gone as far as they can go. They're done come Sunday...... :lol:

The Colts pull their starters thereby giving the Jets a win that gets them into the playoffs, and now they could very well lose out to those Jets next week.

That would be a really strange turn of events, and something for the TV sports gossipers to feed off of for the rest of the winter.
At the time there were 6 teams at 7-7, the Colts would probaly have picked the jets as how they preferred to play.

At the time there were 6 teams at 7-7, the Colts would probaly have picked the jets as how they preferred to play.

And thats the irony

I'm no Jets fan, but I'm getting sick of hearing whiny douchers try to claim that they don't even deserve to be in the playoffs because they got to play two walkover games to finish the season. When the Colts pulled their starters they were only up 5 with over a quarter left to play. Who is to say the Jets (a great second half team this year) wouldn't have won that game anyway? And as for the Bengals game, I think the Jets showed the following week (in Cincy) that they would have beat them anyway.

I'm no Jets fan, but I'm getting sick of hearing whiny douchers try to claim that they don't even deserve to be in the playoffs because they got to play two walkover games to finish the season. When the Colts pulled their starters they were only up 5 with over a quarter left to play. Who is to say the Jets (a great second half team this year) wouldn't have won that game anyway? And as for the Bengals game, I think the Jets showed the following week (in Cincy) that they would have beat them anyway.

If Cincy rested their players and didn't show all their plays in the first game, why did the Jets then beat up those well rested players with a surprise offense?

You play the team thats on the field. If that teams heart is not in the game, it is not your fault. Schedule, injuries, bad calls, bad bounces all come into play. Bottom line...the Jets made the playoffs and proved they belong there

If Cincy rested their players and didn't show all their plays in the first game, why did the Jets then beat up those well rested players with a surprise offense?

You play the team thats on the field. If that teams heart is not in the game, it is not your fault. Schedule, injuries, bad calls, bad bounces all come into play. Bottom line...the Jets made the playoffs and proved they belong there

Yep

No one expected Tampa Bay to win the SB, no one expected the Ravens to win the SB. No one expected the Patriots to win that first one.

Just this past decade alone has proven that the underdog can never be counted out.

That '01 Rams team was WAAAAYY better than this year's Colts team, but that Rams team lost out to a better defense.

There's absolutely no reason to think that can't happen to the Colts on Sunday. This Jets defense is probably the best defense I've seen in years.

I haven't been this stoked for a playoff game that didn't involve the Eagles in a long time.

And thats the irony
Only if the Colts lose.

No one expected Tampa Bay to win the SB, no one expected the Ravens to win the SB. No one expected the Patriots to win that first one.

Just this past decade alone has proven that the underdog can never be counted out.

That '01 Rams team was WAAAAYY better than this year's Colts team, but that Rams team lost out to a better defense.

There's absolutely no reason to think that can't happen to the Colts on Sunday. This Jets defense is probably the best defense I've seen in years.

I haven't been this stoked for a playoff game that didn't involve the Eagles in a long time.

The Bucs and the Ravens weren't a surprise. The Bucs had one of the best defenses in the modern history of the NFL and had been to the NFC Championship game in two of the three previous three years prior to winning the Super Bowl. The Ravens also had one of the greatest defenses of all time, and once they got to the AFC Championship game against Tennessee, it was not a shock that they won, though they way they did it was pretty unusual (23 points, 6 first downs, 5 pass completions v. the Titans).

Better examples are the Giants previous two Super Bowl teams.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, and the Jets certainly have a shot. However, they will be doing something that has never been done before - win a SB with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. The Jets have a good defense, but it isn't in the same league as the Bucs nor the Ravens of the past, though they may be in a year or two. And given the three teams that stand in their way, it is a difficult task.

Yep

Mani is one game away from 100 hail Mary's!

The Bucs and the Ravens weren't a surprise. The Bucs had one of the best defenses in the modern history of the NFL and had been to the NFC Championship game in two of the three previous three years prior to winning the Super Bowl. The Ravens also had one of the greatest defenses of all time, and once they got to the AFC Championship game against Tennessee, it was not a shock that they won, though they way they did it was pretty unusual (23 points, 6 first downs, 5 pass completions v. the Titans).

Better examples are the Giants previous two Super Bowl teams.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, and the Jets certainly have a shot. However, they will be doing something that has never been done before - win a SB with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. The Jets have a good defense, but it isn't in the same league as the Bucs nor the Ravens of the past, though they may be in a year or two. And given the three teams that stand in their way, it is a difficult task.

Young Pats against St Louis was a good example. Good D, QB had no respect.....just stay out of trouble

Forum List

Back