The December 2010 Jobs Numbers Just Plain Suck

And how many years of this?

And yet,

the conservatives claim that if we just keep the budget busting Bush tax cuts in place - WHICH HAVE BEEN IN PLACE THROUGH EVERY DAY OF THIS DOWN CYCLE -

that THAT will magically create jobs.

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

:eusa_eh:if the tax cuts were there before the shit hit the fan, for a while too and there now, clearly there is no negative correlation so I am not sure what you mean.The gov. can only gain funds it won't lose a dime.....if the status quo is maintained.

you beleive we should, in the middle of this shit we are in, take money from the private sector in any way shape or form and trust the gov. will do better than what we could with it......dude, really?

how will that change the paradigm? At all?

Millions with a few more bucks in their pocket will hire no one if ther is no one to buy what they hire people to make.

The idea of supply side is a myth pulled right out the ass of a journalist turned political consultant

Supply side does work. The economy we have now is a bailout economy. The Feds likely bought up stock from every NYSE, NASDQ & AMEX listed company. They gave or lent over $9 Trillion to the Big Wall street Banks. Prior to this they were backing all the over extended borrowers home loans. All this has severely punished the small business owner who did not issue stock for the Feds to buy up. The small business owner can't compete against government backed business. The small business owner does not collect unemployment, he gets wiped out as his business fails in this economy. Small business was America's largest employer & over the past 3 years the Government has chewed them up & shit them out. Now Fucktards like you want to kick them while their down. We need to stop backing pension funds for union & government thugs, that will save us $Trillions & probably balance the budget. Don't you dare speak of raising taxes until the government stops turning union & government thugs into millionaires when they retire.

This is the kind of shit that is dragging our country down! - Turning Government Employees into Instant Millionaires when they retire. These cops listed below will get paid more while collecting their pension than a US Congressmen that is working. The Fed is now bailing out the states that kicked these pension fund cans down the road. We simply cant afford this bull shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arizona pension funds: 8 officers got pension, paycheck
...Arizona police officials received large deferred-pension payments when they retired, then went back to work for the same employer, allowing them to collect a paycheck and a retirement payout...

When Harris retired, he received a lump sum of $562,964 from the Deferred Retirement Option Plan. He now receives a $193,378 annual salary in addition to his $95,716 annual pension from the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System.

"It's an outrageous misuse of tax dollars," Fitton said.

Other law-enforcement retirees who participated in DROP and continue working:

- Richard Miranda. The ex-Tucson police chief is now the city's deputy city manager, whose responsibilities include overseeing the police department. He got $511,570 from DROP in June 2008. Salary: $166,941. Pension: $134,054.

- Jesse Locksa. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a dispatch commander. He received $576,463 from DROP in January 2007. Salary: $70,969. Pension: $97,890.

- Timothy Overton. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a forensics commander. He got $445,518 from DROP in August 2007. Salary: $70,969. Pension: $75,186.

- Gerard Sheridan. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office executive chief is now acting chief deputy. He got $440,441 from DROP in November 2008. Salary: $143,000. Pension: $77,239.

- Lawrence Black. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now an administrator on paid leave amid an internal investigation. He received $386,955 from DROP in July 2007. Salary: $79,996. Pension: $64,089.

- Steven Werner. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now an intelligence analyst. He received $365,272 from DROP in January 2008. Salary: $62,940. Pension: $62,261.

- Rollie Seebert. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a detention academy commander. He received $270,405 from DROP in November 2006. Salary: $82,894. Pension: $61,983.

Last edited:
Kiss My, what you are proposing is designed to combat an income statement problem downturn: borrowing outstripping income growth. Add some cash to that and voila recovery plus a lot of moral hazard. Do that enough times and people start borrowing in anticipation of future capital gains based on the Strong put (the 1920s NY Fed president) or the Greenspan put and when that happens only Iceland style mass debt deleveraging works. The options on the table are default (bankruptcy basically), disunion as in the former Soviet Union or Yugoslavia or austerity. None of those viable options are being considered.

If modern criteria were applied to estimates of 1930s unemployment I suspect that the 1933 peak of 24.9% would be adjusted down to a maximum of 12% and more likely less than 9%: selling apples or pencils does not qualify as unemployed under modern definitions.

And yet,

the conservatives claim that if we just keep the budget busting Bush tax cuts in place - WHICH HAVE BEEN IN PLACE THROUGH EVERY DAY OF THIS DOWN CYCLE -

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

Uhhhhmmmmmmmmm, the budget busting comes from the same reason it does with home budgets. Too much spending.
Unbe-fucking-lievable.
Most people work for small business's and they are owned by "the rich", so I say tax the rich man's socks off. That will help him decide to hire or keep someone.

Not much incentive for a person drawing $400.00 a week in unemployment to go out and land one of those minimum wage jobs. Why work for anything when you can get something for nothing? I have a neighbor who collects unemployment and he is doing stuff under the table. By doing this, he is actually making more money than he was making when he was working full time. I am sure that there are lots of scammers just like him out there yelling and screaming to keep their unemployment checks coming in. There are people yelling and screaming that extending the unemployment benefits will only increase the deficit by about 12 billion and extending the Bush tax cuts will cost even more in terms of increasing the deficit. Well, I have a novel idea. Let's not do anything that we cannot actually pay for and quit riding the free pony. There is no difference in borrowing the money from China to pay for unemployment benefits than it is for any other reason. It's time to suck it up and pay as you go or DON'T GO.

Yep...the guy who put up tiles in the kitchen...was laid off LAST SUMMER...as in 2009.

And BTW...what is everyone worried about?
The Markets are doing great..banks are swimming in excess money...the finacial markets are having a fantastic year...the IMF got a multi-$billion donation from you thanks to a private company that can do just that.
So what? People don't have jobs...they are getting unemployment...hell we can last at least 3-4 more years before this all blows in our face.
We should not worry about it and just cross that bridge when we get to it...like our honorable leaders in Washington.

And yet,

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

:eusa_eh:if the tax cuts were there before the shit hit the fan, for a while too and there now, clearly there is no negative correlation so I am not sure what you mean.The gov. can only gain funds it won't lose a dime.....if the status quo is maintained.

you beleive we should, in the middle of this shit we are in, take money from the private sector in any way shape or form and trust the gov. will do better than what we could with it......dude, really?

We have a trillion dollar deficit and 12 trillion in debt. Since there's no evidence that the lower marginal tax rate on the wealthiest few is capable of job creation, then we should do the next best thing and put those rates back where they were when we had little or no deficits.

Bush cut taxes and started a war in Iraq and passed an unfunded Medicare drug plan. That was a grievous fiscal error. We can correct that error, in part, by restoring some of those tax rates...
...since of course the alternative, to get out of Iraq completely and repeal Medicare part d, is not about to happen.

And yet,

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

We have a trillion dollar deficit and 12 trillion in debt. Since there's no evidence that the lower marginal tax rate on the wealthiest few is capable of job creation, then we should do the next best thing and put those rates back where they were when we had little or no deficits.

I don't quite agree. Since the norm for revenue is 19% historically its a matter of how big that gov. cut of 19% is. History shows lower taxes generate more revenue because that 19% is bigger due to higher economic activity.

Bush cut taxes and started a war in Iraq and passed an unfunded Medicare drug plan. That was a grievous fiscal error. We can correct that error, in part, by restoring some of those tax rates...
...since of course the alternative, to get out of Iraq completely and repeal Medicare part d, is not about to happen.

spending dude, spending. theres plenty of guilt to go round btw, I am for one am not about to reward their asshattery ala spending with more of my dollars. Let them make the hard decisions for a change.

spending dude, spending. theres plenty of guilt to go round btw, I am for one am not about to reward their asshattery ala spending with more of my dollars. Let them make the hard decisions for a change.

(my emphasis)
Damn straight.
How about not giving $3-$5000 in tax windfalls to those who do not pay into the system in the first place?

My life sucks more now than it did in June. That's saying a lot. I was on unemployment from June-mid October. Then started substituting. Now making an average of $23 more per week, which I'm happy with, until I can find better.

BUT, seems the districts pay twice a month, but not necessarily the 1st and 15th. On a check cut on 19th, the last date counted was 10/27. I got the check on 11/29. Any wonder I'm falling behind on payments?

(my emphasis)
Damn straight.
How about not giving $3-$5000 in tax windfalls to those who do not pay into the system in the first place?

sounds good to me...and take a look at this-

Going back to the 2008 workforce, and rolling back federal pay and pensions 10 percent, would save at least $40 billion.

Then there are departments and agencies that Obama fattened up, raising outlays by $337 billion (over the

2008 levels):

* Health and Human Services -- up $126 billion.

* Agriculture -- up $55 billion.

* Education -- up $28 billion.

* Energy -- up $23 billion (doubling its spending).

* Labor -- up $58 billion.

* State -- up $11 billion (also doubled) .

* Transportation -- up $23 billion.

* International Assistance Programs -- up $13 billion (more than doubled).

Giveaways to individuals can also be cut. Last year, the feds paid out $292 billion in "refundable tax credits" -- checks to "taxpayers" (most living well above the poverty level) -- who, instead of paying taxes, got money from the IRS. (The deficit commission also eliminates these "reverse taxes," but proposes massive tax hikes, too.)

Read more: First, roll back Bam's spending hikes - NYPOST.com

the above numbers are also why the dems didn't even try to create a budget for year 2011, they didn't want the fight that would have exposed all of that spending and their attempts to lock it into place.

My life sucks more now than it did in June. That's saying a lot. I was on unemployment from June-mid October. Then started substituting. Now making an average of $23 more per week, which I'm happy with, until I can find better.

BUT, seems the districts pay twice a month, but not necessarily the 1st and 15th. On a check cut on 19th, the last date counted was 10/27. I got the check on 11/29. Any wonder I'm falling behind on payments?

we are all sorry. But our budget is 40% in the red. we are broke.

In the natural world the weak die and the strong survive. Be glad you are still alive. The alternative is far worse.

Well the seasonally adjusted employment numbers for either Dec. or Jan. will be much worse than the figures for November. 10.2% or higher is my call for the final figure but I expect the preliminary data to be lower.

In the natural world the weak die and the strong survive. Be glad you are still alive. The alternative is far worse.

You do realize that your response was not germane to my post?

Join the club. I own a small business & my wife also owns one. She hasn't made any money to speak of in 16 months & I haven't made any in the past 8 months even though we both have been working hard to maintain the businesses so we don't loose our ass. That is the way business is, even when you are not turning a profit you still have to work your ass off to keep from loosing your ass.

We just made a deal to sell her business to the competition on the 15th & are only getting 50% of the sale price down at that time & payments over the next 12 months. Basically we are financing his business for the next year & will likely get screwed but it was the best deal we could get. Our life sucks bad. We can't even get unemployment. We were hanging on hoping things would change but instead our largest customers started filing bankruptcy on their huge unpaid bills they owed us.

The only asset's of ours that have increased is the Gold, Silver & Foreclosures I bought us last year. Had I known we could get regular jobs & live on unemployment forever, we would have done that years ago. Indications are things will get worse for small business until at least Nov 2012. We hope with both of us focused & working hard on just my business & hammer those late paying customer invoices we can stop the bleeding & get profitable before then.

Last edited:

You do realize that your response was not germane to my post?

It sure seemed like it to me!

I don't quite agree. Since the norm for revenue is 19% historically its a matter of how big that gov. cut of 19% is. History shows lower taxes generate more revenue because that 19% is bigger due to higher economic activity.

No history does not show that lower taxes generate more revenue. You are repeating a myth that has been tossed around for ages, and yet,

no one has ever been able to demonstrate that it's other than a myth.

Feel free to try though.

Forum List

Back