The debt and foreign policy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    So we know that conservatives are worried about the debt and our profligate spending, but we also know that many conservatives support our continued military involvement around the world. So my question is how can we honestly address the debt and maintain our current foreign policy? Obviously we know that conservatives would like to "reform" or end entitlement programs, but that's only one portion of the problem. So what would conservatives on USMB change about our foreign policy, if anything, to try to help reign in the debt?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    well, first off, how is anything with as much collusion as our foriegn policy going to assume some sort of 'honest' approach when so many biased entites are all about their own self enlightened interests KK?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +513
    I'm not a conservative, but I suggest a simple solution for dealing with our debt:

Give Alaska to the Chinese.

First, it would settle our debt with the Chinese.

Second, we could let the Russians & the Chinese could fight out who owns it after that and just sit back and watch.

Third, and best of all, Sarah Palin goes with it!

4. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    and the Ruskies would kill for Palin>
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    One could say the same of anything government does. The question, however, is what would you do, assuming you could do anything.

6. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I don't understand how Republicans can justify keeping every foreign military base open. It costs us over 600 billion a year and serves no purpose. There is a tiny shred of validity to continuing the wars, but the foreign military bases seem like a no brainer.

7. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    How much have the wars cost us? Not that that cost is actually on the books. I'm not sure about the validity of continuing these wars if you're serious about dealing with the debt.

8. Wacky Quacky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I'm all for ending the wars too.

The argument comes from whether or not Iraq and Afghanistan will devolve into chaos once we leave. Personally, I don't give a shit about those countries. Our troops and national solvency are more important to me than some moronic backwards ass countries.

9. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,324
    The foreign policy question that needs to be answered is , should the United States continue to be the policeman of the world? Should we go to war to protect American interest abroad? If the answer to these questions are yes, then we have no choice but to maintain a large military and fight endless wars around the world.

The alternative is do what most other countries in world do. Protect their boarders and stay out of the business of other countries.

10. Wacky Quacky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Both are a double edged sword. By protecting our interests we create hatred and contempt towards us. It was one of Osama Bin Laden's driving forces.

Conversely, if we do nothing then we leave our interests abroad up the winds of fate. That is, unless we get off our lazy asses and secure alternative means to fulfill our interests locally.