The debates

Surprising that this major conflict in the world has so few debates.

Only it isn't a major conflict.

There's currently more than thirty armed conflicts in world today and the I/P Conflict rated consistently among the lowest in terms of both ongoing casualties and property loss.

However, it rates highest in terms of discussion and debate, as the content of this board attests. There are an order of magnitude more comments on this conflict compared to any other current armed conflict.

Given both those facts, one has to seriously consider the motivations or someone who is neither Israeli or Palestinian but is nonetheless obsessed with the conflict.

I seriously doubt those motivations are in the interest of a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
What other conflict is a hundred years old and there is no real interest in solving it?
Crimea? Very similar to this. Everyone knows the truth but the propaganda keeps a few paid internet trolls around saying things like "we are just trying help there people - look here's my friend beating the shit out of my grampa".

Matthew Brodsky and Phyllis Bennis on the Palestinian state\'s entry into the ICC

Debate: Does U.N. Statehood Bid Advance or Undermine Palestinian Struggle?

Gaza Killings: Who is to blame? | Head to Head

Wow. That is a colossally bad "debate" with the host constantly talking over his guest and throwing wild accusations around, like kite bombs, bullying his opponent and silencing him.

There was an egregious example of twisting law and legal concepts in such a way as to make Israeli actions "illegal" where that law would not be applied in that way to any other country.

Ms. Buttu claims, "...the only time a soldier can shoot is if that soldier himself or herself is under immanent threat."

That is simply factually incorrect. Under international law, during conflict, soldiers can engage using force, including lethal force, for a wide variety of reasons: to achieve a military objective, to address enemy combatants, to protect citizens, to protect the lives of comrades. The claim that a solider's only purpose is to prevent his own death is patently ridiculous.

Starr Forum: 70 Years: Israel-Palestine – Reflections & Forecasts "Looking Ahead"

Forum List

Back