The Death Panel's First Murder

willow, that's a crock of shit. already tried to sell by boedicca.

Nope! Sorry, it's not. Save that money for demoRats care donchyaknow?

the avastin story is very interesting, but not to sell the death panel narrative.

it shows how pharma companies try to make the most money in the most lucractive segments by getting their drugs FDA approved in those segments.

the initial approval has to be evaluated when new studies show that the drug is not effective.

avastin is not effective for breast cancer.

you could eat arugula instead.

and have the same chance of living 3 months longer.

now, avastin for treating age related macular degeneration, now that would get approval. if genentech would apply for the approval.

Sarah said this isn't true so there has to be death panels.
Sarah said so.

only two breast cancer oncologists?

how did they vote?

NO PATIENTS?

lol, willow, seriously.

I can only tell you what I know. Let's hear from the Doctors who prescribe the stuff. Let's see the FDA's data on it's position. I'm looking for it. obie wan cares for the poor, he takes one jet and his wifey gets her own jet, fuck those carbon footprints. Do I sound as if I don't trust what demonRats say? Why yes, I guess I do

i can tell that you don't know much.

try to keep the political bullshit about the demonrats out of this if you are seriously interested.

you even added moar shit. fuck.

this is not about obama.

But Sarah said it was the fault of Democrats.

Nope! Sorry, it's not. Save that money for demoRats care donchyaknow?

the avastin story is very interesting, but not to sell the death panel narrative.

it shows how pharma companies try to make the most money in the most lucractive segments by getting their drugs FDA approved in those segments.

the initial approval has to be evaluated when new studies show that the drug is not effective.

avastin is not effective for breast cancer.

you could eat arugula instead.

and have the same chance of living 3 months longer.

now, avastin for treating age related macular degeneration, now that would get approval. if genentech would apply for the approval.

Sarah said this isn't true so there has to be death panels.
Sarah said so.

sarah sez

I can only tell you what I know. Let's hear from the Doctors who prescribe the stuff. Let's see the FDA's data on it's position. I'm looking for it. obie wan cares for the poor, he takes one jet and his wifey gets her own jet, fuck those carbon footprints. Do I sound as if I don't trust what demonRats say? Why yes, I guess I do

try to keep the political bullshit about the demonrats out of this if you are seriously interested.

this is not about obama.

You are the only fucking moron in sight to quote Sarah. Idiot.

I included clinical trials in my list...

Let's recall why this thread exists:

Against the advice of a previous advisory committee, the FDA in 2008 gave Avastin "accelerated approval" for the treatment of spreading breast cancer, in combination with chemotherapy. As a condition of that approval, Genentech agreed to conduct two new clinical trials.

Those trials showed no evidence that Avastin offered an overall benefit to breast cancer patients. In contrast, the drug added significantly to the side effects of chemotherapy.​

That's right, clinical evidence! The thing those nasty bureaucrats used to make their decision.

Yeah, who needs clinical trials anyway?

moron, I included clinical trials in my list, but you don't think the doctors who prescribe it and follow the patients course are relevant. just some bureacrats in dc is fine for you. moron.

Obviously you didn't, or would have seen the benefits don't out weigh the side effects.

I asked for the FDA's data to support their position that the drug was not effective. Surely they have such data. And, since you covered this topic extensively surely you must have such data. True?

From the article I already posted.

"The bottom line is that it doesn't work very well," said Dr. Albert Braverman, chief of oncology at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center. "I've seen the occasional patient have a brief remission, which is nice, but it's certainly not doing anything important. It's not saving anyone's life."

FDA rules bar the agency from considering cost when making drug approval decisions.

"The bottom line is that it doesn't work very well," said Dr. Albert Braverman, chief of oncology at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center. "I've seen the occasional patient have a brief remission, which is nice, but it's certainly not doing anything important. It's not saving anyone's life."

FDA rules bar the agency from considering cost when making drug approval decisions.

well, then since we have no treatment then we don't need those pesky mammograms either. so sayeth the demonRats.

The Progressive-Totalitarians can't handle the truth.

But that isn't going to deter either Willow or me from speaking up.

Go ahead and keep talking about this after it's been debunked. You're not making yourselves look any better...

...not that Willow Tree could look any stupider at this point.

this is not about obama.

You are the only fucking moron in sight to quote Sarah. Idiot.

I thought you agreed with Sarah.
You know she has to be right.
Both of you are self proclaimed experts on health care.
:lol:

The agency is making this recommendation after reviewing the results of four clinical studies of Avastin in women with breast cancer and determining that the data indicate that the drug does not prolong overall survival in breast cancer patients or provide a sufficient benefit in slowing disease progression to outweigh the significant risk to patients. These risks include severe high blood pressure; bleeding and hemorrhage; the development of perforations (or “holes”) in the body, including in the nose, stomach, and intestines; and heart attack or heart failure.

In July 2010, after reviewing all available data an independent advisory committee, composed primarily of oncologists, voted 12-1 to remove the breast cancer indication from Avastin’s label.

FDA begins process to remove breast cancer indication from Avastin label

Dr. Cynara Coomer, Chief of Breast Surgery and Director of the Comprehensive Breast Center at Staten Island University Hospital, told FoxNews.com that doctors should ultimately base their decisions on statistics.

“Avastin has been given to patients to decrease the chance of metastases, but they are not really finding that there is that much of a significant difference,” Coomer said.

The FDA still holds approval for Avastin for other types of cancer
, because breast cancer was the only disease that showed lack of evidence for improved survival rates, according to Coomer.

Breast Surgeon: Avastin Risks Far Outweigh Benefits - FoxNews.com

I'm curious, how many folks here are willing to go on record suggesting that when it comes to public health insurance programs, cost should never be an issue? Or private insurance plans, for that matter? An unorthodox brand of fiscal conservatism, to be sure.

Granted, that's not the factor the FDA was considering here but one would think Medicare and Medicaid ought to consider that factor in making coverage decisions.
So long as resources are limited, there will always be the need to determine how to use them. That's why hospitals have triage centers.

Let me pose a hypothetical:

Three men are taken into the ER at the same time. They all need blood [or some other treatment]. One is much worse than the other two, but all are critical. The doctor has enough blood [and/or other resources] to either try to save the one man who is worst or to save the other two men, but he cannot save all three.

Does he save- or try to save- one life and let two men die, or does he save the two men? What if he knows he can save the two while the one is a gamble and might not work- resulting in three deaths?

Last edited:

well, then since we have no treatment then we don't need those pesky mammograms either. so sayeth the demonRats.

Are you on drugs?

Are you supposed to be?

Forum List

Back