The "Death Panels" are already here

2nd as I pointed out previously and as your article clearly indicates you can seek legal redress if your insurance company wrongs you. However if the government screws you over you are screwed and there is no way to redress the wrong done you.

As I told the other poster, research ERISA. Unless you have private healthcare entirely - meaning not provided through an employer - there's lawsuit immunity for health insurers. If the government screws you, you can sue the government. They don't have that same immunity. While you're Googling ERISA, look into medicaid and medicare lawsuits.

Sorry there is only a very narrow windo to sue the government. And you have to be able to prove they aren't following there own regulations a near impossibility given that regualtions are generally capable of numerous interpretations and permutations

Define "narrow window." What is the law that makes it a narrow window? What legally defined lawsuit immunity do they have?

Medicaid and Medicare are pretty well defined, from what I've seen. They tend to piss off industry more than consumer. Though I'm not particularly thrilled with the Medicaid recovery act. But that's another discussion..

I already defined the narrow window. In order to sue the government you must be able to demostrate that the agency or agencies in question are violating their own rules. Most law suits against the government today are in fact little more than requests that the government do its damn job in the manner plaintiff thinks it ought to be done based upon plaintiff's interpretation of the appropriate regulations.

Last edited:
Insurance companies are not immune to lawsuits. Insurance policies are legal contracts that can be enforced in court just as any other legal contracts can be

Sorry, but that is not the case. Do some research on ERISA.

When Obama suggests that his health insurance overhaul will keep private insurance companies "honest" beyond what the courts and state insurance commissions already do, he is simply lying and trying to frighten people into supporting his plan.

I think his main claim is that it will provide an affordable option for people who can't afford the employer plan or a private plan. And it will.

You're fooling yourself. Not only was that article full of examples, but I've lived it. I've lost someone I loved to it. And Google will be happy to find example after example. Unfortunately, your facts are simply wrong on that one. Wish you were right, quite frankly.

Again, research it yourself. Start with ERISA. You're assuming things are as they should be. That's not the case, and that's the problem.

It has nothing to offer me directly. I have very good insurance. But it has a lot to offer people who can't get insurance for one reason or another, and it has a lot to offer people who need treatment quickly and are given the run-around by their own insurance companies.

If it is not subsidized by tax payer dollars, it will just be another non profit insurance company like all the others we already have, and if it is subsidized, rather than offering us more choices, it will sell its policies below cost and drive all other health insurance companies out of business, giving us no choices rather than more choices.

Insurance companies are not non-profit. And the public plan is subsidized based on income. It provides an option for those who can't afford private insurance, and for those who are denied coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

Rather than the loose talk, empty promises and false accusations we are getting from Obama, Pelosi & Co...

Based on the mistaken beliefs expressed in your post, I think you need to do more research before you decide whether it's all loose talk and false accusations. I don't think you have a clue what people go through in our current system. That's not to be mean - you come across as a fairly logical person who is naturally assuming that the system works logically. It doesn't.

If you have done research you should be able to respond with more substance than just saying I'm wrong. For example, exactly what item in ERISA are you claiming makes health insurance companies immune to lawsuits? Do you know or do you just want to believe it's true?

All health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, refuse claims if they do not meet the criteria for coverage, and a public plan would certainly do the same, just as all government run insurance plans in other countries do. Citing examples when the consequences are terrible does not mean that private insurance companies or Medicare or Medicaid failed to meet their obligations as defined in the policies and citing a few of these cases out of the billions of claims that are submitted and approved each year certainly does not make a reasonable argument that our courts and state insurance commissions are ineffective in protecting patients' rights.

There are non profit health insurance companies in the US and there have been for decades. Blue Cross Blue Shield companies were all originally non profit and many still are, and Kaiser Permanente is non prop fit as are many others.

Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, headquartered in Rochester, New York, is part of a $4 billion family of companies that finances and delivers health care services across upstate New York and long-term care insurance nationwide. Collectively, the enterprise provides health insurance to more than 2 million people and employs more than 6,000 New Yorkers. The company's financial strength is reflected in its "A-minus" financial ratings from both A.M. Best and Standard & Poors. Excellus BCBS is New York State's largest nonprofit health plan.

Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kaiser Permanente is an integrated managed care organization, based in Oakland, California, founded in 1945 by industrialist Henry J. Kaiser and physician Sidney R. Garfield. Kaiser Permanente is a consortium of three distinct groups of entities: the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and its regional operating organizations, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, and the Permanente Medical Groups. As of 2006, Kaiser Permanente operates in nine states and Washington, D.C., and is the largest managed care organization in the United States. Kaiser Permanente has 8.7 million health plan members,[4] 156,000 employees,[2] 13,729 physicians,[3] 37 medical centers, 400 medical offices, and $34.4 billion in annual operating revenues and $1.3 billion in net income.[1] The Health Plan and Hospitals operate under state and federal not-for-profit tax status, while the Medical Groups operate as for-profit partnerships or professional corporations in their respective regions.

Kaiser Permanente - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, if the public plan does not receive special subsidies, it would just be another non profit insurance company like the ones we've had for decades, and there is no reason to think it will have anymore to offer anyone than these other non profits do. The low income subsidies provided by the House plan and the Kennedy-Dodd plan would be available at the health insurance exchanges for the purchase of insurance from the public plan or from any private plan that chose to participate, so again, there is no reason to think a public plan that does not have special subsidies would have anything to offer to anyone that would not be available without it. Under the House plan, private insurance companies would also be required to provide insurance to people with pre existing conditions at standard rates.

If you have done research you should be able to respond with more substance than just saying I'm wrong. For example, exactly what item in ERISA are you claiming makes health insurance companies immune to lawsuits? Do you know or do you just want to believe it's true?

Oh, I've done the research. But I see you opted against doing so yourself. Ok, here ya go, I'll give you the easy version.

ERISA Section 514 preempts all state laws that relate to any employee benefit plan, with certain, enumerated exceptions. The most important exceptions — i.e. state laws that survive despite the fact that they may relate to an employee benefit plan — are state insurance, banking, or securities laws, generally applicable criminal laws, and domestic relations orders that meet ERISA's qualification requirements.

A major limitation is placed on the insurance exception, known as the "deemer clause", which essentially provides that state insurance law cannot operate on employer self-funded benefit plans. The Supreme Court has created another limitation on the insurance exception, in which even a law regulating insurance will be pre-empted if it purports to add a remedy to a participant or beneficiary in an employee benefit plan that ERISA did not explicitly provide.[1]

The result is that the only remedy available to a covered person who has been denied benefits or dropped from coverage altogether is to seek an order from a federal judge (no jury trial is permitted) directing the Plan (in actuality the insurance company that underwrites and administers it) to pay for "medically necessary" care. If a person dies before the case can be heard, however, the claim dies with him or her, since ERISA provides no remedy for injury or wrongful death caused by the withholding of care.

Even if benefits are improperly denied, the insurance company cannot be sued for any resulting injury or wrongful death. Many persons included among the some 47 million people presently without health care coverage in the United States are former ERISA "subscribers", insurance terminology for Plan beneficiaries. who have been denied benefits-usually on the ground that the prescribed care is not medically necessary or is "experimental"-or dropped from coverage, often because they have lost their jobs due to the very illness for which care was denied.

Many consumer and health care advocates have called for a "restoration of the freedom of contract enforcement," to the 75% of Americans insured under these work place group plans-in effect, a repeal of the ERISA pre-emption. Permitting these insured persons access to customary state remedies (98% of all civil disputes are resolved in state courts) would, they contend, result in a substantial reduction in arbitrary denial of care benefits, simultaneously alleviating a major burden on state Medicaid systems and clogged federal court dockets.

Employee Retirement Income Security Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, refuse claims if they do not meet the criteria for coverage, and a public plan would certainly do the same, just as all government run insurance plans in other countries do.

Of course they do, but the government plan is not so free to reject individual claims in the manner we see with private insurance.

There are non profit health insurance companies in the US and there have been for decades. Blue Cross Blue Shield companies were all originally non profit and many still are, and Kaiser Permanente is non prop fit as are many others.

Lol. Yeah, that's beause by registering as a nonprofit, they don't have to pay certain taxes. I assure you, medical insurance companies are for profit.

Time for Blue Cross to act like a non-profit

You seem very idealistic about the noble insurers. Good luck selling that one. I'm afraid they're walking on two legs nowadays.

Again, if the public plan does not receive special subsidies, it would just be another non profit insurance company like the ones we've had for decades, and there is no reason to think it will have anymore to offer anyone than these other non profits do.

Nothing? Come back when you have a pre-existing condition and no way to get healthcare. Let me know if it has nothing to offer you then. Under no circumstances will this reform solve all problems, and it will certainly have its own issues. But it's better than the situation we're in at the moment, and far better than doing nothing at all. The only way you can deny that is to deny the abuses of the insurers, which appears to the route you're going. I'm hoping that's idealism and naivete due to never having seen it or had to deal with it.

Beyond that, I gave you ERISA to start with. Why didn't you look it up yourself? If you're so into your "rightness" that you can't even type "ERISA" into a search engine and attempt to learn, then what's the point of discussion?

I already defined the narrow window. In order to sue the government you must be able to demostrate that the agency or agencies in question are violating their own rules.

Wait, to you "narrow window" simply means that you have to able to prove your case?

Most law suits against the government today are in fact little more than requests that the government do its damn job in the manner plaintiff thinks it ought to be done based upon plaintiff's interpretation of the appropriate regulations.

We're not talking about interpretable regulations. We're talking about spelled out coverage that is automatic for those enrolled in it. As in, for X operation, the patient will be covered for X days in the hospital. Medicaid/care doesn't leave room for the "interpretation" that private health insurance has written in at the moment. Which doesn't mean it always functions perfectly, but it works better than the current system on an overall scale at the moment.

They'd be seeing their doctor, as you suggest. Glad to hear you approve.

they can do that now, they dont need obamacare to do it, glad you agree.

seems you left off family, friends, priest, pastor, counselor...guess obamcare doesnt make room for them...and they (family, friends, priest, pastor) are free, no taxes no fees needed. imagine that.

Last edited:
No, unfortunately, a lot of them can't. They can't afford it, or don't have insurance, or it isn't covered by insurance.

No, unfortunately, a lot of them can't. They can't afford it, or don't have insurance, or it isn't covered by insurance.

family, friends, priest, pastor= free, no insurance needed, wow what a concept!

Oh, I've done the research. But I see you opted against doing so yourself. Ok, here ya go, I'll give you the easy version.

ERISA Section 514 preempts all state laws that relate to any employee benefit plan, with certain, enumerated exceptions. The most important exceptions — i.e. state laws that survive despite the fact that they may relate to an employee benefit plan — are state insurance, banking, or securities laws, generally applicable criminal laws, and domestic relations orders that meet ERISA's qualification requirements.

A major limitation is placed on the insurance exception, known as the "deemer clause", which essentially provides that state insurance law cannot operate on employer self-funded benefit plans. The Supreme Court has created another limitation on the insurance exception, in which even a law regulating insurance will be pre-empted if it purports to add a remedy to a participant or beneficiary in an employee benefit plan that ERISA did not explicitly provide.[1]

The result is that the only remedy available to a covered person who has been denied benefits or dropped from coverage altogether is to seek an order from a federal judge (no jury trial is permitted) directing the Plan (in actuality the insurance company that underwrites and administers it) to pay for "medically necessary" care. If a person dies before the case can be heard, however, the claim dies with him or her, since ERISA provides no remedy for injury or wrongful death caused by the withholding of care.

Even if benefits are improperly denied, the insurance company cannot be sued for any resulting injury or wrongful death. Many persons included among the some 47 million people presently without health care coverage in the United States are former ERISA "subscribers", insurance terminology for Plan beneficiaries. who have been denied benefits-usually on the ground that the prescribed care is not medically necessary or is "experimental"-or dropped from coverage, often because they have lost their jobs due to the very illness for which care was denied.

Many consumer and health care advocates have called for a "restoration of the freedom of contract enforcement," to the 75% of Americans insured under these work place group plans-in effect, a repeal of the ERISA pre-emption. Permitting these insured persons access to customary state remedies (98% of all civil disputes are resolved in state courts) would, they contend, result in a substantial reduction in arbitrary denial of care benefits, simultaneously alleviating a major burden on state Medicaid systems and clogged federal court dockets.

Employee Retirement Income Security Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course they do, but the government plan is not so free to reject individual claims in the manner we see with private insurance.

Lol. Yeah, that's beause by registering as a nonprofit, they don't have to pay certain taxes. I assure you, medical insurance companies are for profit.

Time for Blue Cross to act like a non-profit

You seem very idealistic about the noble insurers. Good luck selling that one. I'm afraid they're walking on two legs nowadays.

Again, if the public plan does not receive special subsidies, it would just be another non profit insurance company like the ones we've had for decades, and there is no reason to think it will have anymore to offer anyone than these other non profits do.

Nothing? Come back when you have a pre-existing condition and no way to get healthcare. Let me know if it has nothing to offer you then. Under no circumstances will this reform solve all problems, and it will certainly have its own issues. But it's better than the situation we're in at the moment, and far better than doing nothing at all. The only way you can deny that is to deny the abuses of the insurers, which appears to the route you're going. I'm hoping that's idealism and naivete due to never having seen it or had to deal with it.

Beyond that, I gave you ERISA to start with. Why didn't you look it up yourself? If you're so into your "rightness" that you can't even type "ERISA" into a search engine and attempt to learn, then what's the point of discussion?

So now that you have done some research, you understand that your original statement that insurance companies are immune to lawsuits was untrue. In fact, ERISA assigns exclusive jurisdiction to federal courts, the same courts in which you would have to apply to sue a government run plan such as Medicare, and

Successful ERISA plaintiffs may be entitled to benefits improperly denied, along with pre-judgment interest and any consequential damages. Punitive damages and damages for mental anguish are not available under ERISA, though substantial statutory attorneys fees and costs are allowed in breach of fiduciary duty actions. As noted above, the Secretary of Labor can collect civil penalties under ERSIA. 29 USC Sec. 1132(g)(1).

Health Hippo: ERISA Primer

So while you may find it emotionally unsatisfying that punitive damages and damages for emotional distress are not available to plaintiffs, clearly the consumer can recover actual costs incurred, including consequential damages, and the insurance companies are further subject to civil penalties in suits that can be brought by the Secretary of Labor.

On the other hand, the federal government enjoys sovereign immunity from lawsuits, which means you can't sue the federal government unless it consents to be sued except in special cases.

The FTCA [Federal Tort Claims Act] provides a limited waiver of the federal government's sovereign immunity when its employees are negligent within the scope of their employment. Under the FTCA, the government can only be sued 'under circumstances where the United States, if a private person, would be liable to the claimant in accordance with the law of the place where the act or omission occurred.' 28 U.S.C. S 1346(b). Thus, the FTCA does not apply to conduct that is uniquely governmental, that is, incapable of performance by a private individual.

Can you sue the federal government? - Yahoo! Answers

An interesting side note to this issue is that Pelosi and Waxman, arguably two of the most liberal Dems in the House, have rejected attempts to allow these lawsuits to be dealt with in state courts under state laws in drafting HR 3200. John Shadegg, a Dem from AZ introduced an amendment in committee that would have done just that and Waxman refused to allow it to come to a vote. Shadegg excoriates Pelosi for opposing his amendment even as she excoriates the insurance companies Shadegg claims she is protecting. Should we understand this as a contest between Dems bought and paid for by trial lawyers and Dems bought and paid for by big insurance companies?

While you may want to believe private insurance companies are "freer" to deny claims than government plans are, you have no basis in fact for that belief.

In the same sense, you have no basis for claiming that health insurance companies that have been granted non profit status on the same basis that the Red Cross, charitable hospitals, the ACLU, etc. have are not non profit because you don't like how much they pay their executives or the fact that they showed a surplus.

The House plan will require all private insurance companies to insure people with pre existing conditions at standard rates, so this problem would be solved without a public plan. No matter how much you may like the idea of a public plan, since low income subsidies and insurance at standard rates would apply to private insurance companies as well as a public plan under the House bill, you have failed to present even one benefit a public plan, that is not subsidized so that it can sell insurance below cost, would provide to anyone.

Your understandings/misunderstandings of the issues involved seem to be guided by the sentimental bias that government is good and business is bad - or a corollary, non profits are good, insurance companies are bad, therefore insurance companies cannot be non profits. But how do you explain the fact that the same government you seem to trust to run a health insurance plan honestly, fairly and competently is the government that continues the ERISA preemption you find so unfair and the same government that certifies some health insurance companies as non profits that you consider fraudulent?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOws2P78KrQ]YouTube - Insurance Company Rules - (High Resolution)[/ame]

Good find, don't expect the wingnuts on here to consider that irony, they need, actually require an enemy in order to feel alive. Death for them would be common sense.

I'm waiting for someone to post the statistics that blacks consistently get inferior health care treatment than whites. There are hundreds of links to Google, so I won't pick just one.

So now that you have done some research, you understand that your original statement that insurance companies are immune to lawsuits was untrue.

No, but your response tells me you're either a partisan hack or completely unable to understand what you read. The research quite clearly states that ERISA provides such protections, and finding what could happen for "successful plaintiff" has zero to do with it. Nor does the jurisdiction you cited, which still does not allow lawsuits, a needed tool of the free market for consumer checks on industry. Remove it and you screw the free market, plain and simple. Or, perhaps you're not a partisan hack, and instead you just don't understand what you read. Tell ya what, put ERISA and lawsuit immunity into a search engine, do your research. Come back when you're ready to talk from a standpoint of reality. Your entire opinion appears to based on a complete lack of understanding combined with a desire to avoid learning anything that might disagree with your view. And frankly, people like that are boring. I like people who make interesting points based on fact, not people who cling to illogical points based on attempting to deny reality. The ERISA lawsuit immunity is an issue that people have argued about for years. Pretending it doesn't exist is beyond absurd.

So while you may find it emotionally unsatisfying that punitive damages and damages for emotional distress are not available to plaintiffs,

LOL!!! You're kidding, right? Those are the only damages when someone dies because they can't afford treatment. And yes, of course there should punitive damages if a company breaks it's legal contract and there is a death as a result. Anyone else in the country would be held liable for such. You've contradicted yourself, btw - first you said how wrong I was and that ERISA didn't provide lawsuit immunity. Now you've pointed out that it does provide such immunity.

The FTCA [Federal Tort Claims Act] provides a limited waiver of the federal government's sovereign immunity when its employees are negligent within the scope of their employment. Under the FTCA, the government can only be sued 'under circumstances where the United States, if a private person, would be liable to the claimant in accordance with the law of the place where the act or omission occurred.' 28 U.S.C. S 1346(b). Thus, the FTCA does not apply to conduct that is uniquely governmental, that is, incapable of performance by a private individual.

Wow. Thanks for posting this and proving my point - that one can sue under the public plan. Is it just that you don't understand what you read? Honestly, I'm not even taking the time to address most of the other silliness in your post, other than to say you're talking about industries I've worked in and you're flat out wrong. You denying reality or oddly not understanding what you read has nothing to do with actual reality. I will, however, address this so that your misinformation does not stand unchallenged:

The House plan will require all private insurance companies to insure people with pre existing conditions at standard rates, so this problem would be solved without a public plan.

No, it doesn't. It requires that only for it to be considered part of the public plan.

Your understandings/misunderstandings of the issues involved seem to be guided by the sentimental bias that government is good and business is bad

No, my understandings are guided by fact. Yours appear to be guided by a complete lack of understanding of the laws surrounding insurance in this country, a lack of understanding of nonprofit, and a refusal to educate yourself on both of those as well as the actual bill.

Once again, reality is insurers are currently provided lawsuit immunity. When you're able to grasp that most basic of realities, let me know and maybe we'll talk. :lol:

ya know what, never mind, toomuchtime. After reading your response regarding Hawking in the other thread, you clearly have the intellect of a dull spoon combined with Rush-esque partisanship. Too bad, your first post showed such promise for having an actual discussion with opposing viewpoints. What a shame.

Forum List

Back