The death of Judas Iscariot

Vigilantism: Judas or Jesus?

It seems to a lot of people that the message of Judas was essentially that defending Jesus was too difficult and such difficulty deserved an empathetic voice. Judas was not wrong, technically, which is why so many modern cynicism-celebratory American rock bands refer to him and why Bob Dylan sang about the complex spiritualism associated with Judas' betrayal.

However, Jesus never said, "Following me is without complication!" It seems he simply said, "I offer you a way to celebrate pity!"

I'd like to ask what the connection between Judas Iscariot and modern age vigilantism is. Many American comic book characters such as Two-Face (DC Comics) and the Punisher (Marvel Comics) are re-presentations of the efficacy of vigilantism. Is vigilantism (i.e., Hell's Angels) something Judas would have endorsed, or is it something Jesus would have endorsed?

necromancer.jpg

Necromancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread’s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer’s skill to fully restore the thread’s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires.

Unlike Archivist, who compulsively saves every forum message in carefully preserved archives for future use in battle, while Necromancer collects departed threads merely for the thrill of resurrecting them. Some say he performs this unnatural act out of malice, others say he can’t help himself, but no one really knows.

Flame Warriors Home

The Judas guilty feeling story is partly borrowed (stolen) from the historical figure Yehuda ben Tabbai (spelling?) who wept on feeling guilty for sending an innocent man to his sentence of death. Yehuda was a somewhat annointed figure who was friends with Shimon the head priest of the temple who Salome (wife of king Jannaeus) reinstated. This was in the 85-100bc era where he and Yeshu son of Mary sometimes got confused.
ROME created the villain to represent Judah thus calling him Judas, they did this to demonize Jews and displace blame for killing 2 of the 3 christ figures used for their image of a man they renamed Jesus. But also because it was Yehuda of Galilee who opposed Rome's taxes who was used for the King Herod era galilean christ story and by naming the villain Judas (yehuda) you'd never notice, suspect or accept how they converged the christs into one new image.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back