The Daytona 500 is today and it's sold out. 101 thousand fans in the stands.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Do you suppose the drivers will kneel? Will there be political posturing by them or their crews? Is this the last US sport to remain untainted politically or socially?

I personally haven't watched NASCAR in many years but may tune in today when I get home.

Is this the last US sport to remain untainted politically or socially?

Driving a car isn't a 'sport' first of all. As far as political taint though, if they're not playing a national anthem --- and like real sports there's no reason they would ---- then yes they would be untainted.

I wouldn't bet on it though. The jingoists have been foisting this mob mentality shit for literally a hundred years.

• Banned

Driving a car isn't a 'sport' first of all. As far as political taint though, if they're not playing a national anthem --- and like real sports there's no reason they would ---- then yes they would be untainted.

I wouldn't bet on it though. The jingoists have been foisting this mob mentality shit for literally a hundred years.
They display the stars & stripes every race. Always have as far as I know.
I get your point about it not being a sport. I used to think that way until I got to drive one of those cars for 20 laps at top speed. The endurance to do that for 500 miles is insane.

• Banned
Do you suppose the drivers will kneel? Will there be political posturing by them or their crews? Is this the last US sport to remain untainted politically or socially?

I personally haven't watched NASCAR in many years but may tune in today when I get home.
Is it a gun-free zone?
No idea. Guess that's up to state laws. Not sure why it matters.

I get your point about it not being a sport. I used to think that way until I got to drive one of those cars for 20 laps at top speed. The endurance to do that for 500 miles is insane.

Yabbut the car is doing the work.
Of course operating it, especially with that degree of attention, will stress the body out. That's why when I take a multi-hundred-mile drive I set a leisurely pace and don't try to pass everybody I see just because I see them. And when I get out of the car after 700 miles I feel just fine.

• Banned

It isn't tho. Trust me. If you ever get the chance you have to try it. Fighting the g forces for hours at a time is tough. Then your fighting against gravity with the steering wheel.

It looks easy, I assure you it isn't.
Find your local track and if they have an unrestricted driving experience program pay the 200 bucks and BUCKLE UP.

It's the ultimate adrenaline rush

NASCAR actually has all the elements of a sport, however. There is physical endurance, you're man-handling a heavy car in 100+ degree temperatures for 4 hours or so without power steering, and you have to be totally mentally focused for the entire duration of the race. it's daunting, and takes a lot of physical and mental stamina. Then you not only can attempt to win the race yourself, but you can prevent others from winning. Then you add in the team aspect, where you have allies on the track. It's a sport that requires a high degree of fitness and extremely high reflexes.

Of course operating it, especially with that degree of attention, will stress the body out. That's why when I take a multi-hundred-mile drive I set a leisurely pace and don't try to pass everybody I see just because I see them. And when I get out of the car after 700 miles I feel just fine.
That's why no one pays you a lot of money to watch you drive 700 miles. It's the difference between you going for a walk in your neighborhood and competing in a marathon. One's a sport, the other is not.

Dumbest "sport" in the planet. Cars going around in circles.
And if athletes, media, youngsters, artists, most American are expressing their feelings maybe is time to listen.
Just because a minority managed to vote it the Orange, they can't silence the majority

That's why no one pays you a lot of money to watch you drive 700 miles. It's the difference between you going for a walk in your neighborhood and competing in a marathon. One's a sport, the other is not.

Neither drive is a "sport". If I were to walk that 700 miles, that would be a sport (and it used to be -- called Pedestrianism). But that would be using the body. As would sprinting, long-distance running or anything else using the body. But car racing uses machines as proxies.

NASCAR actually has all the elements of a sport, however. There is physical endurance, you're man-handling a heavy car in 100+ degree temperatures for 4 hours or so without power steering, and you have to be totally mentally focused for the entire duration of the race. it's daunting, and takes a lot of physical and mental stamina. Then you not only can attempt to win the race yourself, but you can prevent others from winning. Then you add in the team aspect, where you have allies on the track. It's a sport that requires a high degree of fitness and extremely high reflexes.

It's a competition, no question. But everything that qualifies as competition can't be a sport. If it did, playing poker or video games would be a "sport". Golf isn't a sport either really but it's closer than driving is since it does involve an occasional swing.

Neither drive is a "sport". If I were to walk that 700 miles, that would be a sport (and it used to be -- called Pedestrianism). But that would be using the body. As would sprinting, long-distance running or anything else using the body. But car racing uses machines as proxies.
Meh, I'm not going to argue the meaning of the term "sport" with you, as it's clear you have a different definition than I do. I regard NASCAR as a sport, you don't. That's okay.

You are wrong. 100% wrong. Most sports us a device of some type. Be it a basketball or bobsled. It is the users control of those devices and the skill, endurance etc... that makes it a sport so to speak. I can guarantee you that racing for 500 miles is a lot more demanding than a 100 yard Sprint or 18 holes of golf.

It's hard to explain but if you ever experience it for yourself you would understand.

Perfect for another democrat to start shooting huh? I hope not.

And if athletes, media, youngsters, artists, most American are expressing their feelings maybe is time to listen.
Just because a minority managed to vote it the Orange, they can't silence the majority
There's a lot of things here going around on circles too, huh?

Don't you think it would have been smarter for that "majority" to have gone out and voted instead of complaining after the fact?

You are wrong. 100% wrong. Most sports us a device of some type. Be it a basketball or bobsled. It is the users control of those devices and the skill, endurance etc... that makes it a sport so to speak. I can guarantee you that racing for 500 miles is a lot more demanding than a 100 yard Sprint or 18 holes of golf.

It's hard to explain but if you ever experience it for yourself you would understand.

But the ball, or the sled, or the polevaulter's pole ---- isn't doing the actual work. It's just their tool.

I'm not saying it's not demanding. I have no doubt it is. But it's still the car doing the actual work.
If a NASCAR vehicle blows its engine --- it's done. Even if its driver is perfectly fine.

If any drivers take a knee they simply will not have a ride next week, simple as that.
NASCAR is not the NFL

Forum List

Back