The Day Reagan was shot

I was at work..

As I remember, they made it out to be no big deal and downplayed the seriousness of Reagans wound

CNN had a very mini documentary on it over the weekend.
Interesting the Secret Service agent with Reagan didn't even realize he had been shot until blood was coming out of his mouth. Yet Reagan lost so much blood, he nearly died from that as well as the wound.
The finding of Hinkley as "not guilty by reason of insanity" changed the way trials of "criminally insane" were conducted.

What I remember most is that he broke the curse in which every president since 1840 who was elected in a year ending in 0, died in office.

I was in the middle of getting a haircut when I heard the breaking news on the shop radio.

Assasination attempts were starting to get old-hat.

There were 2 inept attempts on President Ford in the space of a few weeks. (have no recollection what I was doing when I heard about those ones)

Last edited:
John Hinkley was a bungler. Motive was to impress Jodie Foster??????

Squeeky Fromme and Sarah Jane Moore - nuff said.

At least Oswald was competent. Why he pulled it off.

Last edited:
I remember Reagan quipping as he was rolled into surgery, "I hope you are all Republicans!" And one of the doctors said, "Today sir, we all are!"

I briefly remember. I think I was at a party. Imagine how shocked Hinckley must've been when he found out Jodie Foster was a Lebanese.

Forum List

Back