The Day Bush became dictator

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
The day Bush signed into law Joint Resolution 23, containing the text:

"That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."
(bold face added)

he became defacto dictator of the United States.

This law gives him authority to do as he pleases, and all he has to do is say that he has determined it is required to protect us from terrorism.

We may as well have passed a law saying the President may act as he pleases as long as he says "abra cadabra open sesame" first.

Yes folks, its worse than we all thought. The United States of America was attacked on September, and a mere 7 days later, on September 18th, 2001, it was destroyed. Not by the people who had attacked it, but by the very people who have sworn to defend it.

I'm sure most of you right wing warmongering types will say "yes, but the administration isn't coming after me, or you, so what's the problem?" ... but I have to ask in reply, what's to stop him?

The President and any Senator or Congressman who signed this bill are guilty of treason, and deserve a traitor's fate.

Full text of JR 23:http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/sept_11/sjres23_eb.htm

"That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."
(bold face added)

This law gives him authority to do as he pleases, and all he has to do is say that he has determined it is required to protect us from terrorism.

We may as well have passed a law saying the President may act as he pleases as long as he says "abra cadabra open sesame" first.

Yes folks, its worse than we all thought. The United States of America was attacked on September, and a mere 7 days later, on September 18th, 2001, it was destroyed. Not by the people who had attacked it, but by the very people who have sworn to defend it.

I'm sure most of you right wing warmongering types will say "yes, but the administration isn't coming after me, or you, so what's the problem?" ... but I have to ask in reply, what's to stop him?

The President and any Senator or Congressman who signed this bill are guilty of treason, and deserve a traitor's fate.

Guns

(bold face added)

Read much?

(bold face added)

LOL, I think you have the lowest reputation on the board :laugh: Like your avatar.

Can you read?

Alright, then read the part of that bill which says the president can do whatever he wants to anyone.

And tell me how that doesn't make him a dictator.

C'mon spiderman. You know I can read. Don't be an ass. I'm just laughing at how low your rep is--figured you'd have a sense of humor about it. I know about this bill already. After 9/11 Congress pretty much gave him total power over the military. It has the potential to be a really bad thing, but I don't think Bush is an evil person who sees this bill as giving him absolute power. I think he truly is trying very hard to fight terrorism and to keep it off of our shores--I just think he bungles things a lot of the time because he's short-sighted, reactionary and kinda dumb.

• Banned
C'mon spiderman. You know I can read. Don't be an ass. I'm just laughing at how low your rep is--figured you'd have a sense of humor about it. I know about this bill already. After 9/11 Congress pretty much gave him total power over the military. It has the potential to be a really bad thing, but I don't think Bush is an evil person who sees this bill as giving him absolute power. I think he truly is trying very hard to fight terrorism and to keep it off of our shores--I just think he bungles things a lot of the time because he's short-sighted, reactionary and kinda dumb.

It doesn't matter how he "see's" the bill, the fact is, it gives him dicatorial powers, and EVERY PRESIDENT AFTER HIM until it is repealed. He SHOULD have known this when he signed it, hence, he is just as much a traitor as the Senators and COngressmen who signed it.

It doesn't matter how he "see's" the bill, the fact is, it gives him dicatorial powers, and EVERY PRESIDENT AFTER HIM until it is repealed. He SHOULD have known this when he signed it, hence, he is just as much a traitor as the Senators and COngressmen who signed it.

What???---If he's dictator why do we have elections ???

To anyone who participated in the 9/11 attacks. Or did you miss that part?

Read:

"... he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."

All he has to do is claim to have made the determination that a person is a terrorist. There is no check on that determination, it is completely up to him - hence he is in effect a dictator.

I'm not going to pour over the bill to find out, but you can't honestly tell me that Congress would pass a bill in which the only stipulation for deeming someone a terrorist threat is the president's personal judgement. I know Congress put stipulations in the bill somewhere. If they didn't I'll eat my hat.

Read:

"... he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."

All he has to do is claim to have made the determination that a person is a terrorist. There is no check on that determination, it is completely up to him - hence he is in effect a dictator.

I know you're appearing stupid on purpose, but when you read the whole statement in it's entirety, all it's saying is if the president (and the agencies at his disposal) figure out you played a part in 9/11, they can take any and all actions necessary to prevent you from a repeat performance. You reading more into it than that to claim Bush is now a dictator is disingenuous to the nth degree.

I'm not going to pour over the bill to find out, but you can't honestly tell me that Congress would pass a bill in which the only stipulation for deeming someone a terrorist threat is the president's personal judgement. I know Congress put stipulations in the bill somewhere. If they didn't I'll eat my hat.

No. There are no stipulations. Its a very short bill. Read it. Its only a few pages, it may only be a page. Of course, its a document that ends the greatest Democracy ever on this Earth, its only fitting it be short and to the point.

I know you're appearing stupid on purpose, but when you read the whole statement in it's entirety, all it's saying is if the president (and the agencies at his disposal) figure out you played a part in 9/11, they can take any and all actions necessary to prevent you from a repeat performance. You reading more into it than that to claim Bush is now a dictator is disingenuous to the nth degree.

There is no way for us to determine if they actually "figured it out" or if they are merely claiming they "figured it out". The President doesn't actually have to have evidence that someone is a terrorist - he only has to CLAIM he does. Since he is allowed to merely state "I have evidence, but I'm keeping it all secret" there is absolutely no way for anyone to know if the evidence is real or not.

Therefore, de-facto dictator.

No. There are no stipulations. Its a very short bill. Read it. Its only a few pages, it may only be a page. Of course, its a document that ends the greatest Democracy ever on this Earth, its only fitting it be short and to the point.

Do you guys ever have any ideas or is it all anti this,anti that and fear mongering? I think the point of a democracy is dealing with different ideas and chosing the best one. You don't have any ideas or solutions---if democracy in America is dead, you killed it.

Do you guys ever have any ideas or is it all anti this,anti that and fear mongering? I think the point of a democracy is dealing with different ideas and chosing the best one. You don't have any ideas or solutions---if democracy in America is dead, you killed it.

So let me get this straight - the idea that we should repeal laws which grant the President dictatorial powers is somehow unDemocratic?

Damn, that's just, I, I just don't understand you.

Forum List

Back