The Day after Tomorrow.. In Realtime

hylandrdet said:
Perhaps our "freedom happy" Bush administration may want to consider sending troops there.

Why are we going to attack them while they are weakest? Whats the point of troops? You watch who sends the most money and aid to help in the relief effort. Damn sure won't be the UN.

The Day after Tomorrow.. In Realtime

Is your reference to "The Day after Tomorrow" from the Hollywood moive based on fantasy global warming science?(meaning that of the moive) If so how is an earthquake in Asia connected to supposed global warming?

MtnBiker said:
Is your reference to "The Day after Tomorrow" from the Hollywood moive based on fantasy global warming science?(meaning that of the moive) If so how is an earthquake in Asia connected to supposed global warming?

got to wonder that myself. i actually wasted time to watch that movie last night. it was as bad as everyone says. I mean what kind of freaking idiots believe that global warming is going to cause an ice age. seriously people!

But i have to reiterate what mtn said. what does junk global warming science have to do with an earthquake causing tidal waves?

got to wonder that myself. i actually wasted time to watch that movie last night. it was as bad as everyone says. I mean what kind of freaking idiots believe that global warming is going to cause an ice age. seriously people!

But i have to reiterate what mtn said. what does junk global warming science have to do with an earthquake causing tidal waves?
As for sending troops... we probably will send some... for humanitarian purposes. We'll probably be using a lot of heavy lift cargo aircraft that the military has to speed supplies to the affected areas.

Watch what happens now folks.... the rest of the world will be asking .... not the EU or the UN and definitely not the French but the evil empire, the United States of America for help. Yep, we're nothing but a bunch of imperialistic, dominating, hegomonic, power hungry,greedy corporate run, greenhouse spewing, polluting and mean Americans that are interfering abroad.... until disaster strikes.... then we're the one country that everyone else runs to. And to boot, the ugly bad rotten Americans will be opening up their checkbooks, their hearts and will send billions of dollars to help those affected by this. Yep.... those bad rotten, Judeo-Christian values that the ACLU wants to send to the trash heap of history can be counted on by the rest of the world, especially at the time of the Christmas Holiday, to come through.....

and thank goodness for that......

if we had to rely on the secularist based organizations of this world.... not only would help not arrive, but the beureaucrats of said organizations would be lining their pockets (and their son's pockets) to boot.

P.S. (warning: boring explanation ahead... you might want to skip this part)

A tsunami is caused by earthquakes, not global warming. All major landmasses in the world are surrounded by what is know as a continental shelf. The water over the continental shelf is shallow, whereas the waters over the rest of the ocean is very deep. Whenever there is an earthquake out at sea, its shockwave is translated into the water which causes tidal waves. However, once the shockwave transitions from the deep water onto the continental shelf, the height of the wave is magnified a great deal, thus causing the killer tidal waves.

KarlMarx said:
P.S. (warning: boring explanation ahead... you might want to skip this part)

A tsunami is caused by earthquakes, not global warming. All major landmasses in the world are surrounded by what is know as a continental shelf. The water over the continental shelf is shallow, whereas the waters over the rest of the ocean is very deep. Whenever there is an earthquake out at sea, its shockwave is translated into the water which causes tidal waves. However, once the shockwave transitions from the deep water onto the continental shelf, the height of the wave is magnified a great deal, thus causing the killer tidal waves.

In other words the Tsunamis in Day after tomorrow would not have been created even the global warming triggers ice age theory was true.

In other words the Tsunamis in Day after tomorrow would not have been created even the global warming triggers ice age theory was true.
Oh... did they have tsunamis in "The Day After Tomorrow"? Is that where this talk about tsunamis is all coming from? I didn't see the movie...... I was too busy reading a book on real science!

Tectonic activity (i.e. earthquakes, volcanoes) have nothing to do with global warming. In fact volcanic activity has been known to contribute to global warming. In fact, a large volcanic explosion back in the 1800s was the cause of global climactic changes (albeit only for a couple of years).... I believe that was Krakatao

I should add.... the volcanic eruption caused the world's climate to cool down.

This movie was mis-named. It should have been titled "Michael Moore does the weather".

It has many things in common with Moore's crap piece F 911 such as;
It it remarkably short on facts,
the few facts that it does utilize are skewed beyond recognition,
it is a propoganda piece,
liberals love it,
liberals will claim it's true,
folks like hylandr are too wrapped up in their ideology to give a rat's ass if the movie's premise can be supported.

Merlin1047 said:
This movie was mis-named. It should have been titled "Michael Moore does the weather".

It has many things in common with Moore's crap piece F 911 such as;
It it remarkably short on facts,
the few facts that it does utilize are skewed beyond recognition,
it is a propoganda piece,
liberals love it,
liberals will claim it's true,
folks like hylandr are too wrapped up in their ideology to give a rat's ass if the movie's premise can be supported.

The movie is based on a fiction story written by Art Bell with a ghost writer. The book is entitled "The Coming Global Superstorm". Since it is based on fiction you should expect some literary license. Don't take the movie on as real science and you may be able to enjoy it more. I loved the special effects.

no1tovote4 said:
The movie is based on a fiction story written by Art Bell with a ghost writer. The book is entitled "The Coming Global Superstorm". Since it is based on fiction you should expect some literary license. Don't take the movie on as real science and you may be able to enjoy it more. I loved the special effects.
True, the movie was probably not meant to be totally factual. But therein lies the problem....

Many people see something on TV or in the movies and believe that the movies are a portrayal of something factual. For instance, some people believe that faster than light travel is possible because they do it all the time on Star Trek, when in fact it isn't (at least with what we now know).

I've seen some documentaries on TV about sitcoms of the past. There have been many cases where the public actually believed what they were seeing on these shows were, in fact, real. For instance, some people believed that the actors on Gilligan's Island were actually stranded and wanted a destroyer sent to rescue them. Others thought that the Beverly Hillbillies actually lived in the mansion that was shown on TV (which caused the actual residents of the mansion no end of trouble). It seems silly, but it actually happened.

Even "facts" presented in documentaries should be taken with some skepticism.

KarlMarx said:
True, the movie was probably not meant to be totally factual. But therein lies the problem....

Many people see something on TV or in the movies and believe that the movies are a portrayal of something factual. For instance, some people believe that faster than light travel is possible because they do it all the time on Star Trek, when in fact it isn't (at least with what we now know).

I've seen some documentaries on TV about sitcoms of the past. There have been many cases where the public actually believed what they were seeing on these shows were, in fact, real. For instance, some people believed that the actors on Gilligan's Island were actually stranded and wanted a destroyer sent to rescue them. Others thought that the Beverly Hillbillies actually lived in the mansion that was shown on TV (which caused the actual residents of the mansion no end of trouble). It seems silly, but it actually happened.

Even "facts" presented in documentaries should be taken with some skepticism.

LOL. When I was a kid I asked my mother where they found all these funny families for TV Sitcoms. I thought that they were real. I was however able to tell that Star Trek was fake. Gilligan's Island never stumped me either. It was the "Facts of Life" that fooled the young me.

no1tovote4 said:

I don't have any problem with fiction. But if they're going to try a story like this, it should be based on something more substantial than fairy dust. And you shouldn't have to park your brain before going into the theater.

no1tovote4 said:

It was written by Art Bell?! That explains everything. That guy is a nut. Anybody ever hear his show? It comes on from midnight to 6 a.m. easter standard time. His topics are about people with prophetic dreams, aliens, crappy 'science,' psychics, and pretty much every other nutbag theory out there. I heard him the other night talking about how in less than a century, we'll have drugs that will allow us to live 1000 years, thought statistically, we've only got a 20% chance to make it past 750 without getting in a fatal accident.

Have no doubt that Art Bell thinks it's coming. He's frickin crazy. His show regularly references articles and welcomes guests from undiscoveredcountry.com. Remember those guys? The guys that told us a cruise missile blew up the pentagon, then accused us of closed-mindedness for laughing at them?

Forum List

Back