The Dark Knight Rises [2012]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Christopher Nolan's gritty and bold film The Dark Knight Rises (Tom Hardy) is the third installment of his Batman (DC Comics) trilogy, which included 2005's Batman Begins (Cillian Murphy) and 2008's The Dark Knight (Heath Ledger).

In this sequel, Bruce Wayne/Batman (Christian Bale) is considering retiring when he is compelled to once again emerge as the Dark Knight (aka, 'Batman') to deal with Gotham City's newest rogues --- Bane (a pumped-up brutish menace) and Catwoman (an anti-heroine). Batman also realizes he's falling in love with Catwoman (Selina Kyle --- Anne Hathaway).

The ending includes a very well-mounted chaotic urban war-melee involving the ransom of all of Gotham, the exodus of countless convicts in Bane's terror-army, the wiliness of Catwoman, a devastating bomb, and a truly well-choreographed street-fight between Bane and a restored Batman.

This praised comic book adapted American film is another in a long list of comic book adapted films made in just the last 10 years, and perhaps this avalanche of comic book films reflects a society art interest in comics arguably began with Christopher Reeve Superman films and Tim Burton's Michael Keaton Batman films.

The Dark Knight Rises is both ambitious and impressive, which is why I compare it to Martin Scorsese's gaudy Gangs of New York and give it 4/5 stars (if I give a comparable ambitious/gaudy film such as John Guillermin's infrastructure-conflagration film The Towering Inferno 5/5 stars).

This Nolan film is also a terrific Blu-ray experience for your HDTV...

Tom Hardy is terrific as Bane, and Anne Hathaway is very good as Catwoman.

Ya know, I wonder why Tom Cruise never agreed to make a Batman film --- portraying a Bat-villain such as the Ventriloquist (a bizarre lunatic) or Red Hood (a pure rogue). Maybe Ben Affleck will direct a Cruise-villain Batman film in the future.

The only criticism I have for this otherwise thrilling Nolan film is that at times it feel somewhat too disorganized, but that may be understandable given the designed weightiness of the youthful-anarchy themes presented in the film.

====

BANE: I broke you. How have you come back?
BATMAN: You think you're the only one who can find the strength to escape?

====

tdkr.jpg

It was a downer. I liked it but it's not one I'd watch over and over.

Forum List

Back