The Dark Bible....

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
Not so much stirring the pot... I just would prefer my food to not stick, perhaps there would be a more educated take on these things than that which I have thus far gathered...

Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

There is more coming about... The Dark Bible: Sex, Obscenities, Filth
that has always been not recognized, not understood...

*wondering how it is that third world cultures are such a mystery to the supposed 'well learned' ones*

Cringing? Anyone??

Went to your clinks and I'm having a difficult time understanding what you are trying to discuss.

What exactly is your point here?

• Banned
Well, I'm not so foolish as to assume posters haven't been where I have, but for those that have... the definition of Christianity could very well be up for interpretation. Especially considering the political views in which our bible supports. Our politicians are the puppets it seems of the powers that be. What or who are the powers that be? It seems that is all dependent upon what or who is delivering us idiots from ourselves in the most eloquent and up to date fashions.

Well, I'm not so foolish as to assume posters haven't been where I have, but for those that have... the definition of Christianity could very well be up for interpretation. Especially considering the political views in which our bible supports. Our politicians are the puppets it seems of the powers that be. What or who are the powers that be? It seems that is all dependent upon what or who is delivering us idiots from ourselves in the most eloquent and up to date fashions.
You need to got to rehab and then seek a shrink.

Not so much stirring the pot... I just would prefer my food to not stick, perhaps there would be a more educated take on these things than that which I have thus far gathered...

Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

There is more coming about... The Dark Bible: Sex, Obscenities, Filth
that has always been not recognized, not understood...

*wondering how it is that third world cultures are such a mystery to the supposed 'well learned' ones*

Cringing? Anyone??

When did books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs become sacred text?

Going to try to break this up alittle see if I can get clarification so this actually makes sense:

Well, I'm not so foolish as to assume posters haven't been where I have, but for those that have... the definition of Christianity could very well be up for interpretation.

And where exactly have you been?

And how is the definition of Christianity up for interpretation? One accepts Christianity when they accept the Testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, suffered and died for the sins of the world and rose from the grave, and by accepting that, they choose to become disciples of Jesus Christ and follow Him. Everything else is an appendage to that.

What exactly do you think is up to interpretation?

Especially considering the political views in which our bible supports.

The Bible doesn't really support any one political views. It's not a political book. It's a book that records the testimonies and histories of the House of Israel written from the time of Moses onward. What political viewpoints do you think the Bible supports?

Our politicians are the puppets it seems of the powers that be.

And what powers are those? What does this have to do with the Bible?

What or who are the powers that be? It seems that is all dependent upon what or who is delivering us idiots from ourselves in the most eloquent and up to date fashions.

So you don't even know who these powers are? Can you name someone in these "powers that be"?

My problem with understanding you is because you aren't writing very clearly and coherently. You assume, as most people do, that people understand things the way you do and that your tend to skip key points that would enlighten the rest of us with what you are trying to say. I can't seem to find any clear points. Once sentence to the next seems to be completely unrelated. I know that when you write them you clearly see some relationship, because otherwise you wouldn't write it. But if you want to help us understand you are going to have to clarify what those relations are. You are going to have to speak much more indepth.

Also, some of your sentences are vague. It's not clear what you're trying to say with the sentence. One word or two for example, doesnt make a sentence. Take this one from the OP:

wondering how it is that third world cultures are such a mystery to the supposed 'well learned' ones*

It's not a complete sentence. I can still understand what you are saying here. But the problem it's completely random. What does it have to do with the links you posted?

And why on earth would we be cringing?

As far as I can tell from your OP, you've found something disturbing in the links you shared.
It's raised some questions in your mind.

Which part of the texts you read bother you. We're all trying to find the context for your questions.

You make reference to your own experience.....what exactly is that?

Because nothing I write seems adequate to explain my thoughts and because it seems that it would be more effective to leave individuals with the sites to study for themselves to come to their own conclusions I'll just close out with this:

David Dunning, a Cornell professor of social psychology, became fascinated by the true story of McArthur Wheeler, an incompetent bank robber who believed that rubbing your face with lemon juice rendered you invisible to video cameras.

Dunning wondered whether, since Wheeler was too stupid to be a bank robber, he might also be too stupid to know that he was too stupid to be a bank robber. In other words, his stupidity protected him from an awareness of his own stupidity.

Dunning wondered if the principle could be applied to more people than just Wheeler, and along with graduate student Justin Kruger, he wrote the paper, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties of Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-assessments." (_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367 )

According to the New York Times
(June 20, 2010, _http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/the-anosognosics-dilemma-1/ )

"Dunning and Kruger argued ... 'When people are incompetent in the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it.

Instead, like Mr. Wheeler, they are left with the erroneous impression they are doing just fine.'"

Dr. Mercola’s comments:

In many ways this study has great applicability for those who have formal education and choose to completely discount any natural medicine approach in favor of the drug and chemical paradigm.

“Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it,” they wrote.

For instance, the participants who scored in the 12th percentile for intelligence estimated they were actually in the 62nd. Ironically, however, the participants were able to improve upon their skills, and therefore also their metacognitive competence, and this in turn helped them realize the limitations of their abilities.
So what does this all mean to you?

Ignorance is all around us … but many do not realize their cognitive limitations. Dunning told the New York Times:

“Even if you are just the most honest, impartial person that you could be, you would still have a problem — namely, when your knowledge or expertise is imperfect, you really don’t know it. Left to your own devices, you just don’t know it. We’re not very good at knowing what we don’t know.”

“Known Unknowns” and “Unknown Unknowns”

The notion of “unknown unknowns” originated in the world of design and engineering. To put it simply, you have within your realm of experience “known unknowns” and the far more daunting “unknown unknowns.”

The latter are those circumstances that are so far removed from our ordinary experience that we cannot even fathom them -- like the idea that you could be living in a computer simulation right now (_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/06/11/computer-simulation1.aspx ).

A sign of an intelligent person is knowing there are things you don’t know, but a sign of an even more intelligent person may be knowing there are things that you don’t know you don’t know.

When you may run into trouble, on the other hand, is when you believe you know everything and close your mind to learning any new ideas. Unfortunately, a great deal of the underlying premises upon which our society was built fall into this realm.

Take, for instance, the notion that the world, especially biology and medicine, operates through Newtonian physics. It says you live in a mechanical universe. According to this belief, your body is a physical machine, so by modifying the parts of the machine, you can modify your health. As a physical machine, your body responds to physical “things” like chemicals and drugs, and by adjusting the drugs that modify your machinery, doctors can modify and control life.

Now, with the advent of quantum physics, scientists have realized that this theory is flawed because quantum physics show that the invisible, immaterial realm is far more important than the material realm.

In fact, your thoughts may shape your environment far more than physical matter. Unfortunately, many “conventional” experts in the field of medicine refuse to believe in these “unknown unknowns” -- a definite sign of ignorance if there ever was one.

As Voltaire said, "A state of doubt is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous."

source:
(_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/29/some-people-are-simply-too-selfdeceived-to-know-they-are-ignorant.aspx)

That's the problem. You don't bother clarifying. You just leave the links for us to try to figure out what your issue is. I don't really think it's unreasonable to ask for clarification. But do what you want.

There are stories in the Bible, and in some of those stories there is violence and erotic details. Sure, it’s interesting that it’s there, but I think it shows a more open society. It’s Interesting that the ancient world was more open about some things than we are today. In the Canterbury Tales they were on a religious pilgrimage, but along the way they told dirty jokes.

That’s the interesting story here. The fact that the priests and the prophets, and all the “religious” people never expressed a problem with the erotic stories in the Bible, perhaps because that's part of life. But today it’s a problem.

I'm not.

This is just yet another in a long line of "Look what mean and nasty thing I found in the bible!! How dare you worship this god!!"

move along, nothing to see

I don't really take issue with people pointing out certain unsavory aspects of the Bible, I've done that, but I was totally thrown off by the intelligence part of the thread where she cut and pasted an article.

There are stories in the Bible, and in some of those stories there is violence and erotic details. Sure, it’s interesting that it’s there, but I think it shows a more open society. It’s Interesting that the ancient world was more open about some things than we are today. In the Canterbury Tales they were on a religious pilgrimage, but along the way they told dirty jokes.

That’s the interesting story here. The fact that the priests and the prophets, and all the “religious” people never expressed a problem with the erotic stories in the Bible, perhaps because that's part of life. But today it’s a problem.

No........it's not only erotic stuff, look at my thread that talks about crazy aspects of the Old Testament and when a woman should have her hand cut off.

No........it's not only erotic stuff, look at my thread that talks about crazy aspects of the Old Testament and when a woman should have her hand cut off.

Well yeah, that's part of the crazy part, but the erotic part is a different issue. And it does support the idea that God (if God did inspire the Bible) is not so hung up on sexuality and what hole we stick our wee wee in.

Sometimes people seem to confuse themselves by not knowing enough and then yet sometimes they do so by knowing too much...

I didn't post to confuse anyone or to point out any 'issues' I personally have with the bible, as I have none. What I find most interesting is how for every person who reads the bible there is a different interpretation/perception. Of course studies have been done that it is the same way with most any other book, but the bible is the most manipulated book ever put in print.

I purposefully did not post too much of my own personal views about the sites I included because I didn't want to lead the readers... I cringe not because I find fault with the bible or anything in how I understand it to be meant at this point in time, I cringe instead because of how manipulated it has been and will continue to be...

The intelligence article I posted was a description of how I see so much of our individual interpretations to be necessarily limited... the known unknown and yet the unknown unknown... It makes perfect sense I hope to more than just me.

Forum List

Back