The 'Dangerous' Faith of President Bush

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
www.townhall.com/columnists/davidlimbaugh/printdl20041019.shtml

Why do you suppose President Bush gets so much flak for his faith and John kerry is applauded for his professions of faith--by the very same people? Could it be that the faith-allergic fear that President Bush is actually sincere about his faith?

As I recall, while President Bush made no secret during the debates of his reliance on God, it was not him, but John Kerry who was citing scripture--or trying to. And it was Kerry who said, "my faith affects everything I do, in truth."

Yet mainstream media secularists continue to depict President Bush, not Senator Kerry, as some fire-breathing colonial Puritan whose rigid faith is both an enemy to reaon--even reality--and to the nation itself.

There is a method, beyond christian-bashing, to this pragmatic secular media madness. They just want to paint George Bush as an intolerant Christian bogot, but as a person whose worldview blinds him to facts, reason and reality. This explains why he attacked Iraq, irrespective of the "facts" about WMD.

President Bush's Christianity is not an enemy of his reason or deliberation. It is not an enemy of his fact-based desisions or slef-reflection. It is the rock upon which he depends in these exceedingly tough times.

Even extreme chruch-state seperatists, until recently, didn't make the absurd demand that our leaders divorce their faith from their governace. Nor are they requiring it of John Kerry.

What is clear is that secularists like Suskind don't believe that strong, committed Christians are well suited for governace. It is also clear they don't worry about John Kerry in this regard, which speaks volumes about their assessment of the sincerity of kerry's professions of faith. Self-professing Christians may still hold office, provided they either aren't sincere about their faith or they keep it in the closet with the door closed and lock secured.

If we listen to some, the only ones qualified to run for office are those who believe in nothing...oh wait... we have a candidate like that.

My dislike for Bush is on account of his view on American Nationalism and how he jusifies that nationalism with his religion - armed evangelism.

As long as religious belief is not used as a reason for government action then i have no problem with Religion. Bush's or Kerry's.

My dislike for Bush is on account of his view on American Nationalism and how he jusifies that nationalism with his religion - armed evangelism

Better lay off the coffee !

You know I have never equated of freedom and democracy with evangelism. Furthermore what is wrong with American Nationalism ? I thought being patriotic and loving one's country was a good thing.

Pride in your country is not a good thing to the left. I can practically see Democratic politicians cringe whenever they have to say "God bless America" for a photo-op.

Nationalism can be preyed upon. It can be used for manipulation of the masses by a charismatic leader. Not saying bush has done that, but it has happened (example Hitler).

Well, I for one will take my chances and love my country. I have enough faith in myself to know what is right and what is wrong, and am not easily pursuaded by so called charismatic figures.

No one was asking you not to. I was just pointing out that you can have too much of a good thing with regard to nationalism. As long as your love of your country does not effect your moral and rational judgement it is fine by me.

its not the fact that bush is very religious that scares people..

its the fact that he tries to push that belief on EVERYONE using our government.

being christian is one thing.. trying to force everyone in sharing his beliefs and morals is another (i.e. trying to pass laws that coincide with christianity morals)

like it or not.. christianity isn't the only belief in this world.

what ever happened to keeping church out of state??

The difference between Dubbyuh and Kerry is that Kerry understands that his faith is just that, a matter of faith. He understands that it is wholly inappropriate to apply the mechanism of government to the task of givinh that faith the force of law. Dubbyuh, on the other hand does not seem to be able to distiguish faith from fact and, therefore, feels free to impose his faith upon others, even if they find it contrary to their own faith.

There are many common threads running through all of the worlds great religions, and to take those threads into consideration when crafting legislation is appropriate. But to actually write the doctrine and dogma of a particular religion into law puts a government on the steep and very slippery slope towards theocracy and all of the horrors that form of government gives rise to.

Somehow I missed the President trying to "push is faith on EVERYONE using our government" or trying to "impose his faith upon others, even if they find it contrary to their own faith", which is strange because the two of you are saying he's doing it and his faith is contrary to my own.

I don't suppose either of you could offer any examples?

Frankly, the behavior of the liberal secularist activists, my fellow atheists (that's sarcasm in case you missed it, I don't care to compare my faith, or lack thereof as it happens, with theirs even though we may call it the same thing), scares me a lot more than this fictional proto-theocracy the President is supposedly striving for.

But hey, that's just me. Sometimes I'm too rational for my own good.

Sigh, can't anyone come up with a better argument than the old "Christians are shoving their faith down everyone's throats"?

See I think the problem is that the mere existence of Christians bothers those that are not believers, but the bad news is kind of a planetary epidemic folks. And to say that the large majority of Christians in this country are not entitled to representation just demonstrates that!

Bonnie said:
Sigh, can't anyone come up with a better argument than the old "Christians are shoving their faith down everyone's throats"?

I gave you one.

It's his neocon Nationalism advocated as providing God's gift to every man. It's manifest destiny. Maybe he and you think that's right. I think he should implement a more "humble" foreign policy.

Bonnie said:
See I think the problem is that the mere existence of Christians bothers those that are not believers, but the bad news is kind of a planetary epidemic folks.

Maybe it's because Bush wages wars. There are lots of Christians not happy about that. http://www.forusa.org/media/for_statement-sou-12203.html

Bonnie said:
And to say that the large majority of Christians in this country are not entitled to representation just demonstrates that!

So you desire a tyranny by majority?? What are you saying?

Bonnie said:

See I think the problem is that the mere existence of Christians bothers those that are not believers, but the bad news is kind of a planetary epidemic folks. And to say that the large majority of Christians in this country are not entitled to representation just demonstrates that!

Dear lady, it's not Christians who are at issue here. It is those who would twist religious doctrine to suit their own ends. The truest Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, et al I have met do not go about trumpeting their virtue for everyone to hear. They let their actions do the speaking. Where I grew up, it was commonly understood that the more blatantly one spoke of their virtue, the greater the sins they were trying to hide. Given all the noise that Dubbyuh, certain members of his administration, and certain right-wingnuts make, their sins must be great indeed.

Zhukov said:
I don't suppose either of you could offer any examples?

Opposition to embryonic stem cell research...Opposition to same-gender marriage...Faith-based initiatives funneling federal dollars to religious organizations...Opposition to abortion...His view that his presidency is "divinely ordained"...His statements that God "told" him to go to war with Iraq...Need I go on?

Bullypulpit said:
Dear lady, it's not Christians who are at issue here. It is those who would twist religious doctrine to suit their own ends. The truest Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, et al I have met do not go about trumpeting their virtue for everyone to hear. They let their actions do the speaking. Where I grew up, it was commonly understood that the more blatantly one spoke of their virtue, the greater the sins they were trying to hide. Given all the noise that Dubbyuh, certain members of his administration, and certain right-wingnuts make, their sins must be great indeed.
And Kerry is so QUIET!

Bullypulpit said:
Opposition to embryonic stem cell research

There is no opposition.

Opposition to same-gender marriage

This is about changing the definition of something that has existed since BEFORE christianity itself. This is not a religious objection, and they are deliberately trying to leave religion out of it. So, no again.

Faith-based initiatives funneling federal dollars to religious organizations

A plan that funnels tax dollars away fron ineffective bureaucracies to religious charities because they do a better job? Inluding charities of religions the President is not even an adherent of? Nope, sorry.

Opposition to abortion

The most he's done is sign Congressional legislation he agrees with, legislation that is widely popular amongst the entire electorate. Meanwhile babies keep dying, so where is the imposition? I'm opposed to abortion and I can assure you there's nothing religious about my position. I have a problem with murdering innocent babies, and so do quite a few other people. So, sorry.

His view that his presidency is "divinely ordained"

I'd like to see the actual quote on that. But wouldn't a Christian believe everything that ever happened was divinely ordained? Is this some kind of spin BP? I think it is. Besides his opinion is hardly an imposition.

His statements that God "told" him to go to war with Iraq

Quote again please. And again his opinion is hardly an imposition. It's not as if he went to war on an opinion. He went to war with the authority of Congress in one hand, and 17 U.N. resolutions over 12 years in the other.

Need I go on?

To convice me the President is imposing his faith on me? Yeah, I think you do.

Bullypulpit said:

What the heck are you talking about BP? Bush hasnt been trumpeting his religion at all. He hasnt been saying here look at me im virtuous. Quite the opposite. He will answer questions about his faith when asked though.

If anything its Kerry who is trying to trumpet his religion. He is trying to appeal to more religious people. its rather sad. He quotes scriptures, but he doesnt have any credibility to back him up. Even the devil can quote scripture. You cant fake genuine faith though.

Forum List

Back