"The Culture of the Smug White Liberal"

Interesting piece on HuffPo right now. What is currently described as Liberalism has changed in many ways, and some on the Left are not very comfortable with it:

The Culture Of The Smug White Liberal

Excerpt, my bolding:

I have spent my life as a Democrat which probably isn’t that surprising considering that I am African-American. One of the things that always attracted me to the party were the ideals of equality, fighting for the little guy and our openness to differing opinions, but lately I have seen my party take a turn that makes me uncomfortable. Somewhere along the way we stopped fighting for the little guy and became the party of the smug, educated elites who look down on those with less education and deem them unable or unworthy of being able to make personal decisions for their own lives...

My problem with Liberalism is that it’s more concerned with policing people’s language and thoughts without requiring them to do anything to fix the problem. White liberal college students speak of “safe spaces”, “trigger words”, “micro aggressions” and “white privilege” while not having to do anything or, more importantly, give up anything. They can’t even have a conversation with someone who sees the world differently without resorting to calling someone a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, bigot and trying to have them banned from campus, or ruin them and their reputation. They say they feel black peoples’ pain because they took a trip to Africa to help the disadvantaged, but are unwilling to go to a black neighborhood in the City in which they live. These same college students will espouse the joys of diversity, but will in the same breath assume you are only on campus because of affirmative action or that all black people grew up in poverty. My personal favorite is declaring with surprise how articulate a black classmate is despite the fact that we are attending the same institution of higher learning as they are.

I've always said so-called liberals are the worst racists out there. Conservative racists are fairly straight forward about their views towards other races. Liberals, on the other hand, are sly about it and dress it up all pretty with perceived compliments equivalent to how a southern woman will insult another person by smiling and saying, "Bless your heart."
Agreed, but I think of them as two different kinds of racism.

The right wing racism is the traditional, dumbass, butt-scratching, ignorant white racism that obviously still does exist.

The left wing racism is more of a de facto racism, in which minorities are used as pawns for political advantage. They refuse to challenge minorities to do what must be done - look in the mirror, clean their own house, raise & maintain standards and expectations - because they don't want "offend" such a key constituency. Being defended and enabled and spun for keeps them on the farm, even though it retards their growth.

Who is they?

This argument...argued by those who have been unable to figure out that black Americans are entirely capable of examining their choices and selecting that which best serves their interests...is becoming a very common meme here at the USMB.

If most black Americans were in need of house cleaning....if most black Americans lived in squalor and had low expectations....it might be an interesting theory. But....most black Americans..........especially those who vote.....are gainfully employed, upstanding citizens....with clean houses and everything.

That is where you guys get it wrong. Those black Americans who need to "do what must be done" in order to become good citizens....DO NOT TEND TO VOTE. Keeping them down for votes would be fruitless.

When will you get it?

If most black Americans were in need of house cleaning....if most black Americans lived in squalor and had low expectations....it might be an interesting theory. But....most black Americans..........especially those who vote.....are gainfully employed, upstanding citizens....with clean houses and everything.

That is where you guys get it wrong. Those black Americans who need to "do what must be done" in order to become good citizens....DO NOT TEND TO VOTE. Keeping them down for votes would be fruitless.

Most predominantly black communities are too hardcore for liberals.

They are full of poverty, gangs, and broken families.

The dishonesty being referred to, is how "tolerant" liberals will only envision the assimilated black man. The government approved minority allowed to live among the white population, forced to fulfill a higher level of expectations than the average white citizen.

Most predominantly black communities are too hardcore for liberals.

They are full of poverty, gangs, and broken families.

The dishonesty being referred to, is how "tolerant" liberals will only envision the assimilated black man. The government approved minority allowed to live among the white population, forced to fulfill a higher level of expectations than the average white citizen.

Weird dude.

One of the often missed things when these articles are posted is the commenary. I like this one:

Ramon Rhodes ·
Old Dominion University
"...my problem with some white liberals aren’t that they sometimes get it wrong, it’s their profound lack of self-awareness coupled with the smugness and self-righteousness that they use to lecture to others."

That talking point comes straight out of the black conservative handbook. I don't for a minute believe that the author of this piece is a Democrat. The tone of the article and the bitter indictment of those who would be our allies is not one of offering friendly advice, it's hostile, angry, and unnecessary. It's not a call for better understanding of the plight of African Americans in this country by those who have proclaimed themselves to be liberals and our allies. It reeks of the same smugness that you would find from a conservative who feels that white liberals have betrayed conservatism by siding with black people politically while not accepting them socially.

Perhaps the author needs to rethink their political persuasion and reevaluate why they belong to the Democratic party to begin with...that is if they actually belong to the Democratic Party and are not just pretending to so they can get away with hammering the white people on the left. With that being said, perhaps the author of this article needs to get out and meet some different white people on the left, because those she's coming in contact with apparently are not a good representation of those who call themselves liberals.

Personal and political growth is something that takes time and has to be nurtured and cultivated carefully. It's not something that you were born with. You don't come into this world with a natural understanding of what it is like to walk in somebody else's shoes. Which means that a person can be taught to better understand you if you take the time to teach them.

That talking point comes straight out of the black conservative handbook. I don't for a minute believe that the author of this piece is a Democrat. The tone of the article and the bitter indictment of those who would be our allies is not one of offering friendly advice, it's hostile, angry, and unnecessary.

On the contrary, it is the cold hard truth.

It's not a call for better understanding of the plight of African Americans in this country by those who have proclaimed themselves to be liberals and our allies.

What plights? The silent harms of subtle racism?

Black liberal citizens who live among predominantly black liberal communities have wrought their own undoing. There is no straw man here. Only accountability.

It reeks of the same smugness that you would find from a conservative who feels that white liberals have betrayed conservatism by siding with black people politically while not accepting them socially.

Which is very much true.

I have heard one too many "tolerant" liberals talk to black Americans like children.

Personal and political growth is something that takes time and has to be nurtured and cultivated carefully. It's not something that you were born with.

The liberal methodology involves supporting further dependence on the government, the only established institution that has continually abused black Americans for all of United States history.

You don't come into this world with a natural understanding of what it is like to walk in somebody else's shoes. Which means that a person can be taught to better understand you if you take the time to teach them.

While I prefer to keep my location private, I do live among a mostly black American community.

The number of loafers is hard to measure. Welfare and child support have become a career for people living in the ghetto. Affirmative action is degrading and dishonorable.

Many intellectual and influential black Americans have spoke in favor of self-reliance and personal accountability. Enslavement to the liberal ruling class is an insult to their movements.

Interesting piece on HuffPo right now. What is currently described as Liberalism has changed in many ways, and some on the Left are not very comfortable with it:

Excerpt, my bolding:

I have spent my life as a Democrat which probably isn’t that surprising considering that I am African-American. One of the things that always attracted me to the party were the ideals of equality, fighting for the little guy and our openness to differing opinions, but lately I have seen my party take a turn that makes me uncomfortable. Somewhere along the way we stopped fighting for the little guy and became the party of the smug, educated elites who look down on those with less education and deem them unable or unworthy of being able to make personal decisions for their own lives...

My problem with Liberalism is that it’s more concerned with policing people’s language and thoughts without requiring them to do anything to fix the problem. White liberal college students speak of “safe spaces”, “trigger words”, “micro aggressions” and “white privilege” while not having to do anything or, more importantly, give up anything. They can’t even have a conversation with someone who sees the world differently without resorting to calling someone a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, bigot and trying to have them banned from campus, or ruin them and their reputation. They say they feel black peoples’ pain because they took a trip to Africa to help the disadvantaged, but are unwilling to go to a black neighborhood in the City in which they live. These same college students will espouse the joys of diversity, but will in the same breath assume you are only on campus because of affirmative action or that all black people grew up in poverty. My personal favorite is declaring with surprise how articulate a black classmate is despite the fact that we are attending the same institution of higher learning as they are.

I've always said so-called liberals are the worst racists out there. Conservative racists are fairly straight forward about their views towards other races. Liberals, on the other hand, are sly about it and dress it up all pretty with perceived compliments equivalent to how a southern woman will insult another person by smiling and saying, "Bless your heart."

The right wing racism is the traditional, dumbass, butt-scratching, ignorant white racism that obviously still does exist.

The left wing racism is more of a de facto racism, in which minorities are used as pawns for political advantage. They refuse to challenge minorities to do what must be done - look in the mirror, clean their own house, raise & maintain standards and expectations - because they don't want "offend" such a key constituency. Being defended and enabled and spun for keeps them on the farm, even though it retards their growth.

Who is they?

This argument...argued by those who have been unable to figure out that black Americans are entirely capable of examining their choices and selecting that which best serves their interests...is becoming a very common meme here at the USMB.

When will you get it?

Mac1958

Why no reply to this post? Too busy?

Excerpt, my bolding:

Who is they?

When will you get it?

Mac1958

I saw it, didn't read it, didn't care enough to respond. Still don't.

Funny how the only time we communicate is when YOU post to ME.

Excerpt, my bolding:

Who is they?

When will you get it?

Mac1958

I saw it, didn't read it, didn't care enough to respond. Still don't.

Funny how the only time we communicate is when YOU post to ME.

That's awesome. When will you begin being honest?

Forum List

Back