The creepy story of the crossroads. The devil, dating back to Robert Johnson and Bob Dylan

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Legends and mythology, and this is one of those that always fascinated me. For those that don't know legend has it that blues great (often called king of the delta blues) Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads of Hwy 61 and Hwy 49, Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Here is the story of Robert Johnson.

On a side note with that, he died at the age of 27. Look up that age and rock star deaths. Johnson was techincally the first one to die at that age. A long list throughout history died at that age.

Now, here is the story of Bob Dylan....and this is creepy about reportedly going to the crossroads.

Anyway, there have been many movies and books written about "the crossroads." Many times if you ever hear about the crossroads, it is often referring to that place.

I think there was a club named "Club 27" in L.A because so many died at that age. If I'm not mistaken, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison are among this elite group who died at that age.

As for Robert Johnson, I picked up his best hits CD many years ago. I was impressed with what he produced on an acoustic and the manner in which his wiley voice stayed with the notes. He influenced many musicians who sought out obscure blues players and he was regarded as one of those gems who was only really known for his club playing.

As for the Crossroads, I don;t know. He was poisoned for cheating on some guys wife. Hardly a result of the crossroads. There are many young musicians who probably engaged in rituals and openly offered their soul to make it big. Probably all just a rumour started by some drunk session players that became an urban legend.

I think there was a club named "Club 27" in L.A because so many died at that age. If I'm not mistaken, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison are among this elite group who died at that age.

As for Robert Johnson, I picked up his best hits CD many years ago. I was impressed with what he produced on an acoustic and the manner in which his wiley voice stayed with the notes. He influenced many musicians who sought out obscure blues players and he was regarded as one of those gems who was only really known for his club playing.

As for the Crossroads, I don;t know. He was poisoned for cheating on some guys wife. Hardly a result of the crossroads. There are many young musicians who probably engaged in rituals and openly offered their soul to make it big. Probably all just a rumour started by some drunk session players that became an urban legend.
Oh, it is a legend, no doubt. I think his grandson clarified a few things in an interview. It is also rumored he was poisoned. I think that may have happened, but one of the legends in regards to that is he was barking like a dog as he was dying. Again, all of these things are legends.

Not sure how they got Hwys 49 and 61, but that is how things go with mythology.

Here is his grandson explaining it.

Of course, it is extremely rare for anyone to not know how to play an instrument and in 6 months become one of the greatest ever.

Art is not typically like that. I like the story though.

BTW, you can add Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse to that list of age 27.

Another side note, this is my friends band. Their name is Doorway 27. Their name if from that. Been watching them since the mid 90s.

Oh, it is a legend, no doubt. I think his grandson clarified a few things in an interview. It is also rumored he was poisoned. I think that may have happened, but one of the legends in regards to that is he was barking like a dog as he was dying. Again, all of these things are legends.

Not sure how they got Hwys 49 and 61, but that is how things go with mythology.

Here is his grandson explaining it.

Of course, it is extremely rare for anyone to not know how to play an instrument and in 6 months become one of the greatest ever.

Art is not typically like that. I like the story though.

he knew how to play an instrument....as a teen he was a noted harmonica player in the area he played in and learned Guitar in the years following from Son House and Isaiah "Ike" Zimmerman....

Legends and mythology, and this is one of those that always fascinated me. For those that don't know legend has it that blues great (often called king of the delta blues) Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads of Hwy 61 and Hwy 49, Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Here is the story of Robert Johnson.

On a side note with that, he died at the age of 27. Look up that age and rock star deaths. Johnson was techincally the first one to die at that age. A long list throughout history died at that age.

Now, here is the story of Bob Dylan....and this is creepy about reportedly going to the crossroads.

Anyway, there have been many movies and books written about "the crossroads." Many times if you ever hear about the crossroads, it is often referring to that place.

It's still a thing. If at least a thing to sing about.

Forum List

Back