The creative process

Came back to post this however -

for what its worth
1908399_824498724237951_5558223317744230184_n.jpg

I have taught both oils and watercolor and I sincerely believe that all people are born with ability. I don't call it talent although some would. I also believe it is beaten out of us.

I've never known an artist to whom it came easily. But --

300246_228169117236898_100001314358420_531691_1606549708_n_zps2d91dc73.jpg

I've always loved art and envied the Artist's ability to convey emotion and mood and suggest an interesting narrative with pigment, canvas, and a brush.So when I had to retire early for health reasons, (i'm not near handicapped really, just somewhat reduced mobility, strength and stamina) I needed a new hobby and I decided to try watercolor. And this is where I might disagree a little with you. I was born with 0 artistic ability or talent, I could barely draw a recognizable stick figure, But after my first efforts ended up quickly in the garbage I decided I actually had to know something about what was involved in a work of art. I took up pencil drawing and studied the basics like perspective and proportion of the human figure, things that are really the foundation of all 2 dimensional representative "art". That's when I found out that though I had no talent I could learn "skills". It turned out to be just like anything a person does in life from cutting hair to building a house. If you learn a few essential rules and skills you can do a decent job. I hung a couple of my watercolors on the wall to remind me what I got right and what I got wrong (I still haven't come close to a wet on wet effort that pleases me) and some people who have seen them have mistaken them for professional prints. That's satisfying even though I see all the amateur mistakes that they miss. So I wholeheartedly agree with your statement "If you really want to do something you'll find a way".

My next project (in my dreams anyway) will be a lighthouse. They're so dramatic, a symbol of loneliness and yet strength against the worst nature can throw at us, and a beacon to warn of danger and guide those in danger to the safety of home. Thats the kind of story I long to be able to tell through my feeble attempts to produce "a work of art".

painting1.jpg
You have quite a gift with words too, Smedly! Your description of what a lighthouse signifies is magnificent. I am going to save what you wrote. It is very inspiring! I have always loved lighthouses. Awesome picture!

Hey Luddly and Pennywise

You guys should upload some pictures of your art. I'll upload some of my drawings or paintings if you guys do.

No. I wouldn't consider it.

Why do people think its a good idea to post their true identity on a message board?

Why give away what you work so hard on?

Does anyone here work for free?

I'm with you on this. I think G.A. is just looking for some fellowship and maybe inspiration, but the work I do is recognizable as mine and I mainly come to this place to spout off about politics.

Hey Luddly and Pennywise

You guys should upload some pictures of your art. I'll upload some of my drawings or paintings if you guys do.

No. I wouldn't consider it.

Why do people think its a good idea to post their true identity on a message board?

Why give away what you work so hard on?

Does anyone here work for free?

I'm with you on this. I think G.A. is just looking for some fellowship and maybe inspiration, but the work I do is recognizable as mine and I mainly come to this place to spout off about politics.

I have been criticized here for not posting photos of my work. I've explained my reasons before but you're the first one who actually gets it. Thanks.

I hope GA understands as well.

I do. I don't need people taking what I say on an Internet forum and then using it against me in real life because they found out who I am through my artwork.

Trust me, I get it.

I don't think I wanna' look at Demon Ashtara's work, may be too disturbing. Or just fake.

But if you guys DO post yer work, (which would be interesting to see) just put a watermark through the middle of it so it's unusable by anyone else.

I don't think I wanna' look at Demon Ashtara's work, may be too disturbing. Or just fake.

But if you guys DO post yer work, (which would be interesting to see) just put a watermark through the middle of it so it's unusable by anyone else.

Actually, I would like to see Ashtara' work.

A watermark would not make it unidenifiable. Nor would that protect ownership.

I have seen people photographing my work at exhibitions. Displaying one's work on a board like this is exactly like you working your job and then letting others be paid for it. We don't allow plagiarism of written work either.

One Hour Photo: Computing Croissant

I'm planning a bistro with my neighbor and I sometimes play with his kid, a young second-grader girl who likes to doodle-draw as much as I do. One time, she and I drew pictures of two teddy bears (named Mia and Sandy), and I thought they were pretty good.

I thought about the general artistic appeal of animals and bears in specific and why teddy bears are such popular toys. Is it because panda bears and polar bears and grizzly bears are all so rotund?

Inspiration comes from virtually anywhere, but we can find it in nature when we find forms and colors that suit our view of play and experience.

In our age of computers, distribution of creative images is almost instantaneous. How does this affect the creative process in terms of art history? Maybe this is the age of 'photo personalization.'

:afro:

American Graffiti (Film)

Mia & Sandy {by Nadia and Ab}.jpg

Forum List

Back