1. Idea.
2. Inspiration.
3. Work.
4. Fight boredom.
5. Discipline.
6. Finish the job.

Assuming you want to earn a living.

Assuming you want to earn a living.

A long time ago, I learned that you really must treat it like a job.

If I didn't do that, I'd never get anything done.

How about...

1. Expose yourself to something that triggers a wave of inspiration, such as music

2. Brainstorm some ideas and/ or create some concept work of what you are going to create

3. Create an epic art piece​

How about...

1. Expose yourself to something that triggers a wave of inspiration, such as music

2. Brainstorm some ideas and/ or create some concept work of what you are going to create

Yes, if you have the discipline to get past the doldrums and stalls that are part of the creative process.

It takes a lot of hard work to create something great. Most people have ideas and some talent. Few people have the the focus to work when it's just not fun, and it's not always fun. In fact sometimes it's a drag.

How about...

Yes, if you have the discipline to get past the doldrums and stalls that are part of the creative process.

It takes a lot of hard work to create something great. Most people have ideas and some talent. Few people have the the focus to work when it's just not fun, and it's not always fun. In fact sometimes it's a drag.

Someone who does not enjoy creating their art will never excel at it.

How about...

Someone who does not enjoy creating their art will never excel at it.

True, but it's not always fun. Sometimes it's a whole assload of hard work.

I'm a pro and been so for over 25 years. In that time I have met countless very talented people who love art and love creating but have no focus or discipline and they end up as coffee mongers.

I have taught both oils and watercolor and I sincerely believe that all people are born with ability. I don't call it talent although some would. I also believe it is beaten out of us.

I've never known an artist to whom it came easily. But --

300246_228169117236898_100001314358420_531691_1606549708_n_zps2d91dc73.jpg

I have taught both oils and watercolor and I sincerely believe that all people are born with ability. I don't call it talent although some would. I also believe it is beaten out of us.

I've never known an artist to whom it came easily. But --

300246_228169117236898_100001314358420_531691_1606549708_n_zps2d91dc73.jpg

I've always loved art and envied the Artist's ability to convey emotion and mood and suggest an interesting narrative with pigment, canvas, and a brush.So when I had to retire early for health reasons, (i'm not near handicapped really, just somewhat reduced mobility, strength and stamina) I needed a new hobby and I decided to try watercolor. And this is where I might disagree a little with you. I was born with 0 artistic ability or talent, I could barely draw a recognizable stick figure, But after my first efforts ended up quickly in the garbage I decided I actually had to know something about what was involved in a work of art. I took up pencil drawing and studied the basics like perspective and proportion of the human figure, things that are really the foundation of all 2 dimensional representative "art". That's when I found out that though I had no talent I could learn "skills". It turned out to be just like anything a person does in life from cutting hair to building a house. If you learn a few essential rules and skills you can do a decent job. I hung a couple of my watercolors on the wall to remind me what I got right and what I got wrong (I still haven't come close to a wet on wet effort that pleases me) and some people who have seen them have mistaken them for professional prints. That's satisfying even though I see all the amateur mistakes that they miss. So I wholeheartedly agree with your statement "If you really want to do something you'll find a way".

My next project (in my dreams anyway) will be a lighthouse. They're so dramatic, a symbol of loneliness and yet strength against the worst nature can throw at us, and a beacon to warn of danger and guide those in danger to the safety of home. Thats the kind of story I long to be able to tell through my feeble attempts to produce "a work of art".

painting1.jpg

I really love your story. There's never been a time when I didn't draw or paint but I had the mind set that transparent watercolor is too hard, its for real artists only and I didn't used to consider myself a "real" artist. The first time I tried watercolors was a disaster and they went on the closet shelf. The next time, I think I approached it differently and it was like arriving home. Now, I paint almost entirely in transparent wc and acrylics.

That's when I found out that though I had no talent I could learn "skills".

Something I used to tell my students is that there might be a half dozen people in the world with talent but the rest of us have to work hard and sweat bullets to learn skills.

I also would tell new painters to paint for themselves. Don't paint to have something to show others. First and foremost, enjoy yourself.

I really love your story. There's never been a time when I didn't draw or paint but I had the mind set that transparent watercolor is too hard, its for real artists only and I didn't used to consider myself a "real" artist. The first time I tried watercolors was a disaster and they went on the closet shelf. The next time, I think I approached it differently and it was like arriving home. Now, I paint almost entirely in transparent wc and acrylics.

Something I used to tell my students is that there might be a half dozen people in the world with talent but the rest of us have to work hard and sweat bullets to learn skills.

I also would tell new painters to paint for themselves. Don't paint to have something to show others. First and foremost, enjoy yourself.

Stephen King has a similar mantra for writers, although his thought process is that a writer needs to write what is true to them and not worry about possibly offending someone. Your attitude seems to be more about the enjoyment of creating something which you find appealing, which is an equally valid motivation.

I am not one who believes all art is art, nor that all scratches and smears are art, etc. Skills are tools that cannot be bought but must be earned through years of hard work. And it's true, anyone can learn the skills if they work at it. Also true that not all people with skills have the intangible ability to breathe real life into their work. I have seen a lot of technically proficient work that is as lifeless as a brick, so it's a balancing act.

Pablo Picasso was first a master of realism.

Stephen King has a similar mantra for writers, although his thought process is that a writer needs to write what is true to them and not worry about possibly offending someone. Your attitude seems to be more about the enjoyment of creating something which you find appealing, which is an equally valid motivation.

I am not one who believes all art is art, nor that all scratches and smears are art, etc. Skills are tools that cannot be bought but must be earned through years of hard work. And it's true, anyone can learn the skills if they work at it. Also true that not all people with skills have the intangible ability to breathe real life into their work. I have seen a lot of technically proficient work that is as lifeless as a brick, so it's a balancing act.

Pablo Picasso was first a master of realism.

As I said, that is what I would tell students. Its not a rule I live by in my own art. I also said that "there might be a half dozen people in the world with talent but the rest of us have to work hard and sweat bullets to learn skills".. IOW, learning "skills" requires enormous work and dedication.

I sell most of what I create so I constantly run the risk of "offending" as well as having my art dismissed.

When I do paint for myself, my style is almost fanatically realistic but realism doesn't usually sell very well.

Do what works for you. And, there is real truth in that old saw that if you do what you love, the money will follow.

Hey Luddly and Pennywise

You guys should upload some pictures of your art. I'll upload some of my drawings or paintings if you guys do.

Hey Luddly and Pennywise

You guys should upload some pictures of your art. I'll upload some of my drawings or paintings if you guys do.

No. I wouldn't consider it.

Why do people think its a good idea to post their true identity on a message board?

Why give away what you work so hard on?

Does anyone here work for free?

Forum List

Back