The Crazy Rev. Wright

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
The Crazy Rev. Wright By Ishmael Reed

"Nothing is more uplifting than watching MSNBC's "Morning Joe," where wealthy Anglicized Irish Americans like Joe Scarborough, Chris Matthews, Tim "Little Russ" Russert and Pat Buchanan hold forth on the topic of race. During the week beginning March, 17, 2008, the talk was all about whether Barack Obama should distance himself from Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Presumably in the same manner that they distanced themselves from Don Imus.

Buchanan has been awarded more time to discuss race and the bigotry of Rev. Wright than the scores of black intellectuals and scholars, who could provide some insight, combined. According to U. S. News & World Report (1/16/92), Pat Buchanan said In 1977 that Hitler was "a political organizer of the first rank," a man of "extraordinary gifts," "great courage" and elements of "genius." Yet there was his sister, Bay, debating Roland Martin, one of a handful of token black commentators with any kind of bite. This was on CNN, March 21. She was in a tizzy about the Rev.'s anti Americanism, yet Hitler, her brother's hero, was responsible for the deaths of 120,000 Americans."

http://www.counterpunch.org/reed03252008.html

"Nothing is more uplifting than watching MSNBC's "Morning Joe," where wealthy Anglicized Irish Americans like Joe Scarborough, Chris Matthews, Tim "Little Russ" Russert and Pat Buchanan hold forth on the topic of race. During the week beginning March, 17, 2008, the talk was all about whether Barack Obama should distance himself from Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Presumably in the same manner that they distanced themselves from Don Imus.

Buchanan has been awarded more time to discuss race and the bigotry of Rev. Wright than the scores of black intellectuals and scholars, who could provide some insight, combined. According to U. S. News & World Report (1/16/92), Pat Buchanan said In 1977 that Hitler was "a political organizer of the first rank," a man of "extraordinary gifts," "great courage" and elements of "genius." Yet there was his sister, Bay, debating Roland Martin, one of a handful of token black commentators with any kind of bite. This was on CNN, March 21. She was in a tizzy about the Rev.'s anti Americanism, yet Hitler, her brother's hero, was responsible for the deaths of 120,000 Americans."

Ok, still doesn't change the fact that Wright is a racist, so what's your point?

Midcan is great at taking things out of context. One can be despised but characteristics of theirs or abilities can be noted that taken alone do not reflect the evil of the whole.

And that is exactly what Midcan has done here.

Midcan is great at taking things out of context. One can be despised but characteristics of theirs or abilities can be noted that taken alone do not reflect the evil of the whole.

And that is exactly what Midcan has done here.

Excellent, you are partially right, the piece you are missing is the entire context though. If we dwell on the minutiae we miss the key pieces. Did you read the whole piece? The proof is in the pudding and the republicans have failed the American people, the American worker, and the world for too long. Our separation of rich and poor is so great now it duplicates a third world oligarchy. Our infrastructure is collapsing, our education, except for the well to do, is sad. We have no healthcare and the poor are forced to emergency rooms for care. It is time everyone saw the whole context and not their small myopic world.

I really do love to listen to Matthews and Buchanan hold forth on racism. Chris has no more idea of what the hell he is talking about on this issue than Buchanan. If Chris ever asks a question and doesn't interupt his guest, I think he would fall out of his chair. Hardball? Not really.

I am always amazed how some people vote against their own best interests because they are true believers.:eusa_wall:

My brother in law voted for Bush and now truly regrets it. A little fuckin late, but at least he has seen the light.

All of this goes in cycles...if democrat screws things up, people say,"The Demcorats have failed the country." Then they'll elect republicans until someone comes along to screw that up and then they say, "The Republicans have failed America." Then they'll elect a Democrat thinking it will change. If we get a Democrat in office, maybe not this one, but somewhere down the line, a "Democrat will fail us."

"But our collective indignation, no matter how loudly we announce it, cannot drown out the truth. And as much as white America may not be able to hear it (and as much as politics may require Obama to condemn it) let us be clear, Jeremiah Wright fundamentally told the truth."

http://www.counterpunch.org/wise03182008.html

Yep "God Damn America!!!"....he was speaking the truth according to Obama.

Not sure how you would know that? Are you telepathic?

But 'G D America' can be heard a variety of ways, let me give you just one.

"Darn America - you can do better!"

Not sure how you would know that? Are you telepathic?

But 'G D America' can be heard a variety of ways, let me give you just one.

"Darn America - you can do better!"

Well if the statements are essentially true why wouldn't he want to stand by them? Are you saying he has no backbone and that he can't lead this country through very tough issues? Why is he distancing himself from the statements if they are essentially true?

Well if the statements are essentially true why wouldn't he want to stand by them? Are you saying he has no backbone and that he can't lead this country through very tough issues? Why is he distancing himself from the statements if they are essentially true?

For practical, pragmatic reasons, a politician has to tone down the deep thoughts, remember what happened to Carter. Tough issues that affect the country are different than justifying everything your minister says, doing that only gives fodder to your opponent.

I'm baaaaaaack!!! Some of you may remember me!

I'm an Obama supporter (I originally supported Richardson, but Obama was always my second choice).

This whole story has been blown out of proportion by Fox News Channel (a.k.a. GOP TV) and the far right who are trying to steer the nomination to Hillary Clinton because they know she stands no chance of beating McCain.

acludem

For practical, pragmatic reasons, a politician has to tone down the deep thoughts, remember what happened to Carter. Tough issues that affect the country are different than justifying everything your minister says, doing that only gives fodder to your opponent.

It will affect him negatively in the general election, because people use common sense. You don't sit in a church for over 20 years and have the Reverend part of your campaign for a year if you don't support his ideals.

It will affect him negatively in the general election, because people use common sense. You don't sit in a church for over 20 years and have the Reverend part of your campaign for a year if you don't support his ideals.

But you assume the good things the reverend did don't count. Wright was even invited to the White House for his efforts and good work. Show me other religious leaders who have tackled the hard inner city problems as well as he did.

"Think about it: A conservative Christian is a contradiction in terms. Christ wasn't a conservative. He fed the hungry simply because they were hungry. He didn't require that they go to work first. He healed the sick, simply because they were sick. He didn't push them into an insurance company, or let the drug companies gouge them on prices. Jesus was a liberal; Herod was the conservative." Rev. Jesse Jackson

Actually, the Reverend Wright is pretty much on the money.

But you assume the good things the reverend did don't count. Wright was even invited to the White House for his efforts and good work. Show me other religious leaders who have tackled the hard inner city problems as well as he did.

"Think about it: A conservative Christian is a contradiction in terms. Christ wasn't a conservative. He fed the hungry simply because they were hungry. He didn't require that they go to work first. He healed the sick, simply because they were sick. He didn't push them into an insurance company, or let the drug companies gouge them on prices. Jesus was a liberal; Herod was the conservative." Rev. Jesse Jackson

The Pope, the Catholic Church, has done far more work for the underprivileged than Wright has ever considered doing.

Lmao, Jackson would say that!LOL
Religion constantly contradicts itself, its not a new ideal. God also said that you should earn the fruits of your labor by the sweat of your brow.

Actually, the Reverend Wright is pretty much on the money.

Yep, God Damn America, Rich white America injected black people with HIV, it's Americas fault for 9/11....yep right on the money....:rofl:

Forum List

Back