The "cracker counties"?!?!?!

I can only guess you didn't bother to read the thread since you just made the exact same liberal argument that has been blown to shit over the last two days.

Actually, it isn't a liberal argument. A stereotypically neo-liberal argument would err on the side of political correctness and tolerance, and banish terms which might be racially charged, aka cracker, without understanding the context of the reference. In the statement quoted in the OP, the term cracker was no more offensive than "niggardly." You have fallen into the same sort of ignorant behavior that you believe you are condemning.

Words have cultural and "place" significance. They are not inherently imbued with racial significance and slur.

I live in a "cracker county" and am attempting to educate you on the historical meaning and use of the term in this neck of the woods. It was not used generically to refer to all white Southerners, but rather, in a specific reference to a particular part of Florida (the panhandle) which is commonly referenced in this way by locals. We vote differently from most of the rest of the state, and we're culturally/economically/historically much different from other parts of Florida.

Clearly, you are dumber than a box of rocks and interested only in regurgitating your personal prejudices.

You're about as smart as Howard Dean was when he came to my town and told us that we need to stop worrying about gods, guns, and race. Whatever, white boy. Take your ass home. We don't need you to tell us what to say/think.

You don't speak for us.

Last edited:
Racial slur or not, it's still a derogatory reference to white Southerners, and offensive to most native-born Southerners (those of you transplants who THINK you're "southerners", think again; those of us whose families were here long before the Late Unpleasantness KNOW better). If your ancestors were not Confederates, then no, you are most certainly NOT "one of us" (especially if you still have a Yankee accent, in which case you are officially a "carpetbagger"). You are disliked here, because among other things, you think it's OK to refer to us as "peckerwoods" crackers", "rednecks", and the like. Yes, we make jokes about that, for precisely the reason Black people use the N-word: to take the sting out of it. If PC is "only good manners" as some of you suggest, then kindly be aware that educated white Southerners ARE offended by being referred to in that manner.

In the quoted context, it was not used as a generic reference to whites in the south. It is a term used frequently by Florida natives in this part of the state, and that was the sense in which it was used.

And, I don't give a shit what they think about this in whatever generic southern state you live in, casper.

Last edited:
and the panhandle....

bunch of crackers....

now ravi will be looking for a cracker hat
:( I couldn't find a decent one.

Maybe this will suffice:

1144.jpg

I say: Wear it with pride!

:D

If you've never eaten smoked mullet, you're probably not a cracker. If you've never caught a mess of mullet and smoked it yourself, you're probably not a cracker.

If you've never swum in a limestone spring or sinkhole with alligators on the other shore, you're probably not a cracker.

If you've never eaten chitlins or fatback, you're probably not a cracker.

If you con't know how to shuck an oyster, you're probably not a cracker.

If you don't know who the ole he coon is, you're probably not a cracker.

If you've never gone to a perloo party, you're probably not a cracker.

This part of Florida ain't synonymous with the rest of the south....Y'all have your traditions, we have ours. Don't you dare tell us who we are.

If you've never eaten smoked mullet, you're probably not a cracker. If you've never caught a mess of mullet and smoked it yourself, you're probably not a cracker.

If you've never swum in a limestone spring or sinkhole with alligators on the other shore, you're probably not a cracker.

This part of Florida ain't synonymous with the rest of the south....Y'all have your traditions, we have ours. Don't you dare tell us who we are.

Testify!

power_2_the_people.jpg

Me thinks you are a low country cracka! Need me some Chicken Bog :clap2:

How bout crawdads?

I live in a "cracker county" and am attempting to educate you on the historical meaning and use of the term in this neck of the woods. It was not used generically to refer to all white Southerners, but rather, in a specific reference to a particular part of Florida (the panhandle) which is commonly referenced in this way by locals. We vote differently from most of the rest of the state, and we're culturally/economically/historically much different from other parts of Florida.

Clearly, you are dumber than a box of rocks and interested only in regurgitating your personal prejudices.

You're about as smart as Howard Dean was when he came to my town and told us that we need to stop worrying about gods, guns, and race. Whatever, white boy. Take your ass home. We don't need you to tell us what to say/think.

You don't speak for us.

It's rare that I see someone so proudly demonstrate their complete inability to comprehend the point. It's not whether I am personally offended or Floridians are offended. We live in an ultra-politically correct society and that state of society has been created by liberals. It goes right back to Anita Hill and the left's attempt to crucify Clarence Thomas. The result of that effort is a society wherein someone can be subjected to disciplinary action or lose their job simply because someone who is completely unrelated to a situation merely overhears a comment that they decide they are offended by. This is Anita Hill and the liberal's legacy and it's not just with sexual harassment but with racism, gender roles, you name it.

In their eagerness to demonize Republicans, liberals have lowered the standard for racism to all new lows. One doesn't even have to say something racist or do anything racist to be labelled as such. Liberals simply say "they are speaking in racist code". Once again this is the legacy that liberals are creating and the environment they are fostering.

Now when it comes to Floridians it appears from the comments on this thread that some find it offensive and some don't, but this reporter was not talking to Floridians. This was a national broadcast where the rest of the nation overheard his comment. Liberals have created a society where that's enough to be strung up by your balls, dragged through the press, and publicly crucified.

So on MSNBC they tear the hell out of Gingrich with the line of reasoning that his criticism of Obama's singing voice is clear and blatant racism, yet the very same day on the very same network one of their analysts uses a term on a national broadcast that the dictionary and the overwhelming majority of Americans interpret as a racial slur and there's not a single word about it.

Liberals have created this standard and this environment, yet they refuse to live by it themselves in this and many other circumstances. It's an example of hypocrisy of the liberal game plan.

Now if you can't get that through your head I would suggest you avoid applying for Mensa any time soon.

So "the Food Stamp President" is racist even though no one made any reference to food stamps and race except the Democrats (who apparently assume that the only people on food stamps are black) yet on MSNBC an analyst refers to northern Florida as "the cracker counties" and no one blinks an eye.

I can only guess you don't have much familiarity with Florida. It isn't a racial sur...it's a cultural identifier in North Florida.

One of our most popular politicians (former governor Lawton Chiles) frequently referred to himself as a cracker. It's a term that is specific to certain parts of Florida.
http://www.sptimes.com/chiles/

Racial slur or not, it's still a derogatory reference to white Southerners, and offensive to most native-born Southerners (those of you transplants who THINK you're "southerners", think again; those of us whose families were here long before the Late Unpleasantness KNOW better). If your ancestors were not Confederates, then no, you are most certainly NOT "one of us" (especially if you still have a Yankee accent, in which case you are officially a "carpetbagger"). You are disliked here, because among other things, you think it's OK to refer to us as "peckerwoods" crackers", "rednecks", and the like. Yes, we make jokes about that, for precisely the reason Black people use the N-word: to take the sting out of it. If PC is "only good manners" as some of you suggest, then kindly be aware that educated white Southerners ARE offended by being referred to in that manner.
Fuck the South. It's assholes like you that think "cracker" is derogatory yet a lot of your "bubba's" use the word ****** on a regular basis. I lived in the South for over 1 1/2 years and I HATED it!! Bugs, humidity and the most inbred dumb fucks I've ever seen in one location.:lol::lol:

The majority of the white people that bitched about the blacks were dumber than the blacks they HATED!!!

On top of that you "southerners" want to fly a flag of LOSERS!! Isn't that the same as some idiot that flies the swastika? Hello????:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I can only guess you don't have much familiarity with Florida. It isn't a racial sur...it's a cultural identifier in North Florida.

One of our most popular politicians (former governor Lawton Chiles) frequently referred to himself as a cracker. It's a term that is specific to certain parts of Florida.

Fuck the South. It's assholes like you that think "cracker" is derogatory yet a lot of your "bubba's" use the word ****** on a regular basis. I lived in the South for over 1 1/2 years and I HATED it!! Bugs, humidity and the most inbred dumb fucks I've ever seen in one location.:lol::lol:

The majority of the white people that bitched about the blacks were dumber than the blacks they HATED!!!

On top of that you "southerners" want to fly a flag of LOSERS!! Isn't that the same as some idiot that flies the swastika? Hello????:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

There's always some stupid asshole who can't help but respond to a stupid asshole by trying his best to show the he is an even more stupid asshole. You are that stupid asshole, you stupid asshole.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

Can't we all just get along?

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome someday.

You don't speak for us.

It's rare that I see someone so proudly demonstrate their complete inability to comprehend the point. It's not whether I am personally offended or Floridians are offended. We live in an ultra-politically correct society and that state of society has been created by liberals. It goes right back to Anita Hill and the left's attempt to crucify Clarence Thomas. The result of that effort is a society wherein someone can be subjected to disciplinary action or lose their job simply because someone who is completely unrelated to a situation merely overhears a comment that they decide they are offended by. This is Anita Hill and the liberal's legacy and it's not just with sexual harassment but with racism, gender roles, you name it.

In their eagerness to demonize Republicans, liberals have lowered the standard for racism to all new lows. One doesn't even have to say something racist or do anything racist to be labelled as such. Liberals simply say "they are speaking in racist code". Once again this is the legacy that liberals are creating and the environment they are fostering.

Now when it comes to Floridians it appears from the comments on this thread that some find it offensive and some don't, but this reporter was not talking to Floridians. This was a national broadcast where the rest of the nation overheard his comment. Liberals have created a society where that's enough to be strung up by your balls, dragged through the press, and publicly crucified.

So on MSNBC they tear the hell out of Gingrich with the line of reasoning that his criticism of Obama's singing voice is clear and blatant racism, yet the very same day on the very same network one of their analysts uses a term on a national broadcast that the dictionary and the overwhelming majority of Americans interpret as a racial slur and there's not a single word about it.

Liberals have created this standard and this environment, yet they refuse to live by it themselves in this and many other circumstances. It's an example of hypocrisy of the liberal game plan.

Now if you can't get that through your head I would suggest you avoid applying for Mensa any time soon.
1. You're being offended on behalf of a group somewhere that doesn't even know you exist.

2. When are you going to go after the Republican that also called crackers crackers?

Whatchoo talkin bout neegah :lol::blsmile:

Is cracker an insult?

I've know people who referred to themselves PROUDLY as CRACKERS and or as REDNECKS.

What does the term Cracker even mean?

Isn't a CRACKER just a White person, probably a lower middle class or lower White person who loves their Southern Heritage thang.

Is that really an insult?

1. You're being offended on behalf of a group somewhere that doesn't even know you exist.

Completely irrelevant. I am not offended on anyone's behalf except my own. According to the rules of society liberals have created that's perfectly fair. If I told a sexually charged joke to Editec, for example, and he thought it was funny as hell but you happened to overhear it and were offended I would still be subject to disciplinary action would I not? Editec's lack of disapproval has no bearing on your disapproval and frankly Editec would also be in trouble for simply engaging in the conversation and laughing.

Hey....we can thank liberals for shit like that because it was them who in their lust to discredit Clarence Thomas demonstrated to the entire nation how to use sexual harassment as a weapon and set the standard.

Now if saying "I don't support Obama because I disagree with his policies" is "racist code" as MSNBC claims then the standard they and their liberal colleagues have set must also be applied to this situation or it becomes a hypocrisy.

2. When are you going to go after the Republican that also called crackers crackers?

I responded to it in post #40.

Is cracker an insult?

I've know people who referred to themselves PROUDLY as CRACKERS and or as REDNECKS.

What does the term Cracker even mean?

Isn't a CRACKER just a White person, probably a lower middle class or lower White person who loves their Southern Heritage thang.

Is that really an insult?

As usually used by outsiders, editec, it is. I already explained the etymology of the word in an earlier post, but what is of more importance here is the connotation it and other terms (like "redneck" and "peckerwood") have taken on, from the early twentieth century onward. That connotation has evolved (especially among those filled with misconceptions and stereotypes about white Southerners) from simply being a reference to poor/working-class white Southerners, to meaning something more like "White Trash" or the old-time Gullah term, "Po' buckra"; it has become distinctly derogatory and pejorative in that context; a term of contempt for those seen as poor, uneducated, possibly inbred, uncouth, lazy, immoral, and often racist. While not a racial slur per se, it has been sufficiently used with that connotation to be considered insulting and offensive to most white Southerners. It might be reasonably compared to calling an educated Russian "nekulturny" (which translates roughly as uncultured/uneducated/uncouth)-it's a term of contempt, usually spoken with the intent to insult or disparage the object.

Yes, we Southerners DO use the word ourselves, in much the same fashion as Black people use the N-word, as a jocular, somewhat self-deprecating reference to each other, in order to take the sting out of it, and we do not consider it degrading or insulting when so used. "Cracker" is the word most commonly used in parts of GA and FL by Southern whites; elsewhere, "redneck" is more common; the connotation of either is more along the lines you suggested, i.e. "Good ole boy (or girl)".

Interestingly enough, Southern Blacks and Whites who are good friends across racial lines (more common here than many outside the South think) will sometimes greet each other using variants of the N-word (by Whites) and variations of "cracker", "redneck" and "peckerwood" (by Blacks) . Spoken with a smile and a handshake, this is not considered offensive on either side, BUT is used, selectively, only among long-time friends. except among those (comparatively few) where racial prejudice is still quite evident (on BOTH sides). Black and White Southerners tend to have more in common with each other than either has with a non-Southerner of whatever race; two different sides of a common culture and history, if you will. We tend to share the same tastes in food, many activities, , an attachment to the land, and a culture that values extended family. For that matter, some of us are related. One of my ancestors had children by an affair with a slave woman; he subsequently manumitted the woman and her children, and gave them a family Bible showing who their previous White ancestors were. Reunions in that side of the family have been bi-racial for the last twenty years; we all get along just fine.

Don't over-simplify the South, or the relationship between its peoples; it's far more complicated than you might think.

Thank you for illustrating my point; it is attitudes like yours that we Southerners resent. You come down here, with a bunch of preconceived opinions and stereotypes in your head, a smug, sanctimonious air about you, a penchant for ordering others about, and a burning desire to re-make the South in the supposed perfection of your own image. Then you don't understand why we don't like you? Do that in any other culture, and I'm willing to bet they won't like you either. You went looking for the worst the South has to offer, and you found it; hell, I could do the same thing where you live. Unfortunately, entirely too many people from up north who have migrated down here since WW II have brought that same set of attitudes with them. It may come as a shock to you that some people from up there come here to get away from the rat race in those antheaps of yours, and actually want to enjoy the slower pace, the calmer culture, and all the good things the South has to offer; frankly people like you make it harder for them to be accepted here; you ain't exactly the best of ambassadors for wherever it is you come from; in fact, you seem to fit the stereotype of the obnoxious, know-it-all, willfully ignorant, rude Yankee quite well.

Completely irrelevant. I am not offended on anyone's behalf except my own. According to the rules of society liberals have created that's perfectly fair. If I told a sexually charged joke to Editec, for example, and he thought it was funny as hell but you happened to overhear it and were offended I would still be subject to disciplinary action would I not? Editec's lack of disapproval has no bearing on your disapproval and frankly Editec would also be in trouble for simply engaging in the conversation and laughing.

Hey....we can thank liberals for shit like that because it was them who in their lust to discredit Clarence Thomas demonstrated to the entire nation how to use sexual harassment as a weapon and set the standard.

Now if saying "I don't support Obama because I disagree with his policies" is "racist code" as MSNBC claims then the standard they and their liberal colleagues have set must also be applied to this situation or it becomes a hypocrisy.

I responded to it in post #40.

I don't think I really understand your POV regarding this issue.

Do you think the word "cracker" to describe a Southern White person (likely of low income but not necessaruly) is inherently an insult?

And if it is, then what is the word CRACKER standing in for exactly?

What does that word actually mean in that context?

I am being completely sincere when I ask you this.

What do you think the word CRACKER means?

Thank you for illustrating my point; it is attitudes like yours that we Southerners resent. You come down here, with a bunch of preconceived opinions and stereotypes in your head, a smug, sanctimonious air about you, a penchant for ordering others about, and a burning desire to re-make the South in the supposed perfection of your own image. Then you don't understand why we don't like you? Do that in any other culture, and I'm willing to bet they won't like you either. You went looking for the worst the South has to offer, and you found it; hell, I could do the same thing where you live. Unfortunately, entirely too many people from up north who have migrated down here since WW II have brought that same set of attitudes with them. It may come as a shock to you that some people from up there come here to get away from the rat race in those antheaps of yours, and actually want to enjoy the slower pace, the calmer culture, and all the good things the South has to offer; frankly people like you make it harder for them to be accepted here; you ain't exactly the best of ambassadors for wherever it is you come from; in fact, you seem to fit the stereotype of the obnoxious, know-it-all, willfully ignorant, rude Yankee quite well.

Well that's because we are obnoxious,rude and do know it all. From where I stand it's a good thing for the North to colonize the South and change some things. There are good things about the South. Nobody knows how to relax and have a good time like a Southerner, you make some damn good whiskey and BBQ. The not so great parts is some of ya'll don't seem to understand the War of Northern Agression was your fault. You guys need to own up? You fired the first shot, you seceded the Union in a temper tantrum after the man you wanted lost the election and you refused to get off your lazy asses and work your own fields to end slavery. You have complained about the carpet baggers but what they did to the South was only a fraction of what the South did to the black man. Nobody deserves to be a slave. 150 years later your still whining about it like you did nothing wrong. Karma is a bitch and you got slapped. Grow up,own up and get on with it dude.

I don't think I really understand your POV regarding this issue.

Do you think the word "cracker" to describe a Southern White person (likely of low income but not necessaruly) is inherently an insult?

And if it is, then what is the word CRACKER standing in for exactly?

What does that word actually mean in that context?

I am being completely sincere when I ask you this.

What do you think the word CRACKER means?

Its only an insult if it is perceived as such. The same could be said for any racially charged word. The word "******" is only really offensive if people choose to take offense to it if you really think about it. But the standard that has been set by liberals is that if anyone takes offense it is therefore offensive. By that standard it matters not whether Floridians take offense...anyone overhearing the comment has the right to label it offensive and by their own standard there is very little defense.

The essence of my point is not necessarily whether "cracker" is offensive or not. It is demonstrating the hypocrisy of the liberal position.

Forum List

Back